My Civic killed its first critter today. :(

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
On the way to work, on a 50-mph stretch of road, two lanes in each direction plus a center turn lane, I saw a squirrel a little more than a hundred yards ahead.

Hop-hop-hop, it went from right to left, and made it into the turning lane. "Stay there, you'll be fine," I tried to mind-meld to the squirrel. So it stayed put.

Then there was a car coming the opposite direction. "STAY THERE, DAMMIT," I said.

Nope.

It panicked, then started hopping left-to-right when I was less than 20 yards away. Hop-hop-h-BA-DUMP-BUMP.

Dangit.

It's not the first little animal I've ever hit, and it won't be the last (the most dramatic was a rabbit that I hit square with the front license plate at 70 mph... knocked its legs off of its little body...). I hope they won't be any bigger, though.
Sponsored

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ran over a groundhog in my last car. It was the only time a car of mine claimed a life. I was taking a curved off ramp from a highway and saw it run out to the edge of the road. It stopped, then the dumb thing ran right in front of me. I couldn’t react fast enough and felt a bump underneath. I was a mess for a couple of hours after that. :cry:

Other than that, I did have a bird bounce off my windshield, but I’m pretty sure it survived.

M1joachim

New Honda owner!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
I ran over a groundhog in my last car. It was the only time a car of mine claimed a life. I was taking a curved off ramp from a highway and saw it run out to the edge of the road. It stopped, then the dumb thing ran right in front of me. I couldn’t react fast enough and felt a bump underneath. I was a mess for a couple of hours after that. :cry:

Other than that, I did have a bird bounce off my windshield, but I’m pretty sure it survived.
Back in college I used to work down the jersey shore for the summers and going to some parties I hit a turtle once or twice in the dark, still feel terrible about it

OP
OP
BarracksSi

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My mom once ran straight over a dog -- like, a midsize dog -- on the interstate. I was able to see it crawling away off the road, but it took a pretty hard knock from underneath the car (probably the rear differential). She was pretty shook up and switched driving duties with Dad for the rest of the trip.

Hit two different birds with one of my earlier cars, too. One t-boned me against the passenger door (I think), which actually made me chuckle. The other one blasted off of my hood and went straight up; I watched it fall to the pavement in my rear view mirror.

KnoxTn17Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si sedan
Country flag
On the way to work, on a 50-mph stretch of road, two lanes in each direction plus a center turn lane, I saw a squirrel a little more than a hundred yards ahead.

Hop-hop-hop, it went from right to left, and made it into the turning lane. "Stay there, you'll be fine," I tried to mind-meld to the squirrel. So it stayed put.

Then there was a car coming the opposite direction. "STAY THERE, DAMMIT," I said.

Nope.

It panicked, then started hopping left-to-right when I was less than 20 yards away. Hop-hop-h-BA-DUMP-BUMP.

Dangit.

It's not the first little animal I've ever hit, and it won't be the last (the most dramatic was a rabbit that I hit square with the front license plate at 70 mph... knocked its legs off of its little body...). I hope they won't be any bigger, though.
I guess the other squirrel said forget this, Geico doesn't pay enough nuts for this ;)

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was driving pretty aggressivly around some twisty roads a couple weeks ago and I took out a bird.
had to clean the remains off the chrome grill.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I don't feel bad for certain species like squirrels, chipmunks, etc. since there are way too many around here anyway and they are the ones dumb enough to run into the road.

Still, though, I don't hit anything intentionally.

@M1joachim I would feel bad about hitting a turtle too. They're in trouble overall, many species are dwindling in numbers.

@BarracksSi That would probably make me sick too.

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan EX WOP - Aero Kit/Wing Spoiler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
birds follow me... for some reason... and that include some Canadian goose. I am always dodging birds. All started like 4 years ago. I was driving on a lovely summer day *cue the music* and I saw like 20 of those little random birds having a blast on the sidewalk eating. For some reason they panicked as I got close and started to fly off. I was doing like 20 km/h and like 5 dumb ones decided to fly in front of me but really low like barely above ground... and..... splat!!! I ran over like 3. I felt horrible.

Yesterday I almost ran over a raccoon. I dodged one and I barely hit a second one that came out of the blue. Hope I don't run over anything or find a deer with my civic.

I live close to the country side and there are deer, coyotes, geese, turtles and all the stuff lol.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Luckily I haven't hit anything hit, but I have dodged plenty. I missed an iguana one time but the car to my right ran over it. I got a lot of squirrels in my neighborhood. I found them to be hilarious. Definitely go out of my way to drive slow when I see them running around. The hares that run around aren't so lucky sometimes with other cars.

OP
OP
BarracksSi

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yesterday I almost ran over a raccoon. I dodged one and I barely hit a second one that came out of the blue. Hope I don't run over anything or find a deer with my civic.
Deer -- the evening we drove my FK7 home (I was in my EP3 and my wife drove the FK) was one of the times we saw deer on an exit ramp along our route. I was afraid that the car would get totaled with less than 25 miles on it (and my wife could be hurt pretty bad, too!).

Raccoon -- we saw one that must've suffered a glancing blow. It was nighttime, and the car in front of us had stopped for no reason that we could see. Then the car started moving again, but as it left, this raccoon walked across the road right in front of us -- on its hind legs, head drooping down like it was slouching, and its front legs hanging straight from its shoulders. I watched it walk to the side, into the grass, then collapse.

I was the passenger, so after we drove off, I looked up the county animal control on my phone and gave them a call, explaining what I saw and the location. I don't know if they ever found it, but I couldn't just leave it without trying to see if it could be helped.

barqcider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic HB EX-L
Country flag
man....

ive hit em all but deer and moose. ran over possums,red foxes, had a squirrel fall off a branch and bounce off my hood, ran over a skunk and even had a poor cat run across in front of me.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a close call one night driving home from the movies. A group of Javelina started crossing the road right in front of me and I locked em up trying to avoid them. Never seen a pig reverse course so damn fast and I narrowly avoided clipping the last one in line. Another time I was doing 60 and a frickin owl took off from the side of the road and he went full broadside with my windshield. I had an owl outline in dirt on my windshield after that.

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan EX WOP - Aero Kit/Wing Spoiler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well after posting here... guess what? lol... almost ran over a huge turtle. hahaha. I was kind enough to get down of my car and help that turtle cross. it was big and heavy.... kinda scary too. lol
Sponsored