Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
We've been hard at work over the past few weeks designing and running numbers for our new 1.5T front mount intercooler kit. A lot of time and thought was put into developing what we feel will be the most-efficient, best-fitting intercooler kit on the market.

One of the key selling points of the 1.5T, Civic X platform is its lightweight, highly efficient engine and chassis. So efficient, in fact, that Honda engineers have continuously prided themselves for how well the factory intercooler flows and cools for such a lightweight unit. Because of this, our intercooler core of choice for this application is a dense 24"x6.3"x3.5" 500hp bar-and-plate core. We have used this core in our BRZ/FR-S/FT86 turbo kit with great success, proving itself still efficient at well over 500hp. The size of this intercooler also allows it to be a rather lightweight assembly (about 10lbs heavier than stock for the whole kit), meaning we are able to offer a similarly low-weight intercooler that performs much better than stock.

Our goal was to offer an intercooler setup that didn't notably affect or create turbo lag, but still offers headroom for guys looking to make big power in the future. In the past we have been a fan of our larger 600hp cores (that have been proven to over 900whp) for big(ger) turbo and larger displacement applications, but it is important to keep in mind that these cars are only a 1.5L with a very small turbocharger. After running some numbers we felt that this 500hp core would be the most ideal size for customers with stock turbos, future stock-replacement turbo upgrades and a possible future PRL Motorsports turbo kit! ;)

This intercooler will utilize factory mounting spots with our embossed end tanks as well as all factory air ducts/shrouds. Kits will come standard with upgraded hot and cold side intercooler piping that utilize smooth radii and hose/tubing diameters designed with small and larger turbochargers in mind. Like most of our PRL product line, no cutting, fitting or trimming will be required. Kits will come with all hardware needed for a seemless install. Stay tuned for more pictures and info as we finish our design and begin testing! :thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development idbinaklggnomcca_zpsnkoogyka

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0263_zpsbu4abdga

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0260_zpsimstshjr

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0259_zpsc0ub82w8

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0264_zpsovma2si4

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0262_zpssndjryjw

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0261_zpsk2qsvsb9

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Looks great!

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When is this intercooler going to be a reality??
Our prototype cast end tanks and interooler core has been mocked up and fitted to finalize intercooler piping and silicone. Testing is right around the corner! Once this is done we should have a realistic ETA.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0485_zpswzt013h1

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0488_zps2iipkwx7

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0491_zpszi4amby6

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0495_zpskja8c9pb

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0496_zpsv9xs2qro

SilverGhost

Ktuner tuned X2 CivicX.
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT,2017 Sport Hatchback09 Fit
Vehicle Showcase
I really need need this intercooler.I live in the Midwest and my Sport Hatchback is CBP.My Intake air temps are running at 130 degrees f.Whats the eta.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I really need need this intercooler.I live in the Midwest and my Sport Hatchback is CBP.My Intake air temps are running at 130 degrees f.Whats the eta.
We're trying! We made one, hopefully last, revision to the intercooler piping and end-tank design earlier this week. Once we approve the final design it will immediately be tested and put into production. ETA will be released very soon!

SilverGhost

Ktuner tuned X2 CivicX.
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT,2017 Sport Hatchback09 Fit
Vehicle Showcase
We're trying! We made one, hopefully last, revision to the intercooler piping and end-tank design earlier this week. Once we approve the final design it will immediately be tested and put into production. ETA will be released very soon!
I will hopefully be the first buyer

Last edited:

jsanz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan CBP
Country flag
I haven't looked under my bumper yet, but is it possible to cut that plastic on the left side looking at it from the front? End tanks are sexy, might as well see them and it makes it a bit more symmetrical.

OP
OP
PRL Motorsports

PRL Motorsports

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I haven't looked under my bumper yet, but is it possible to cut that plastic on the left side looking at it from the front? End tanks are sexy, might as well see them and it makes it a bit more symmetrical.
Yes, though this is there for duct work to help promote optimal air flow.

More updates! Our prototype is complete! We will be testing next week! All piping will come standard powdercoated textured black.

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0746_zpsfz3fvvi

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0747_zpse6eota1y

Honda Civic 10th gen PRL Motorsports 1.5T FMIC Kit Development DSCN0749_zpsdyqmdyf

jsanz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan CBP
Country flag
Yes, though this is there for duct work to help promote optimal air flow.

More updates! Our prototype is complete! We will be testing next week! All piping will come standard powdercoated textured black.
Then asymmetrical it is! Thanks for the response. Looks real good guys.
Sponsored