Fairly loud popping sound coming from rear in 2016 Coupe

proanimus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T
Does anyone else have a relatively loud, high-pitch POP coming from the rear passenger-side area? It happens to mine randomly as I drive over bumps or anything else that causes the suspension to react. It's much, much louder when the rear seats are folded down – it seems to be coming from somewhere near the wheel. The noise persists even when you remove everything possible from the car, including the spare tire and tools.

The dealership spent a week trying to identify and fix it to no avail. They completely disassembled and insulated the rear deck (speaker area) and removed and insulated the rear bumper, but it didn't help at all. They basically gave up and had me take the car back, but it's just as bad as always.

No amount of pushing or slapping things in the interior will replicate the issue, nor will pushing up and down on the car, no matter how hard you try. It ONLY happens while driving.

I'd post a video, but there's so much road noise picked up by my phone in that area that it's hard to discern from a recording. But it's as plain as day while driving, sometimes even with the windows down or with music playing.

Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

skstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
could it be possible the seatbelt is slapping against the door or whatnot?

OP
OP
proanimus

proanimus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
could it be possible the seatbelt is slapping against the door or whatnot?
Nope. This sound gets a lot louder when the rear seats are collapsed, so it's definitely coming from something in or around the trunk. At the very least, it's not from inside the cabin itself.

skstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ahh OK. When I first got my coupe I also had loud popping sounds but it came from the passenger seatbelt flapping around hitting against the passenger door.

Not sure what yours is then:dunno:

OP
OP
proanimus

proanimus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahh OK. When I first got my coupe I also had loud popping sounds but it came from the passenger seatbelt flapping around hitting against the passenger door.

Not sure what yours is then:dunno:
Yeah mine has the same issue. The passenger seatbelt slams against the door repeatedly, especially when the windows are down. I just buckle it even when I don't have a passenger now.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My passenger belt hits too when it hangs with the buckle at a certain height. when it first happened I though it was coming from the right rear.

Did the check rear strut or any suspension components ?

OP
OP
proanimus

proanimus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My passenger belt hits too when it hangs with the buckle at a certain height. when it first happened I though it was coming from the right rear.

Did the check rear strut or any suspension components ?
They didn't, but I'm bringing it back next week so they can dig deeper. I specifically asked them to check the suspension and wheel components this time, since that seems to be the obvious place to look.

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
That is super weird I have yet to hear something like that on my 16 coupe but I will absolutely listen for that now.

Usually after someone sits in my passenger seat (which is pretty rare), I have to push the plastic buckle down the belt so it doesn't slap against the side of the car because I drive with all windows down 90% of the time.

Do you think something caused it? I.e. a pothole? Because I'm taking mine into Honda because after hitting a big pothole a couple thousand miles ago on my right front I feel like the car isnt settled there and is bouncing a bit. So Honda is going to look at my suspension and the wheel itself, but I don't have the sound.

Keep us updated on what they say!

OP
OP
proanimus

proanimus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is super weird I have yet to hear something like that on my 16 coupe but I will absolutely listen for that now.

Usually after someone sits in my passenger seat (which is pretty rare), I have to push the plastic buckle down the belt so it doesn't slap against the side of the car because I drive with all windows down 90% of the time.

Do you think something caused it? I.e. a pothole? Because I'm taking mine into Honda because after hitting a big pothole a couple thousand miles ago on my right front I feel like the car isnt settled there and is bouncing a bit. So Honda is going to look at my suspension and the wheel itself, but I don't have the sound.

Keep us updated on what they say!
I'm not sure what caused it exactly, perhaps bumps/potholes over a long period of time. It was very faint and not very persistent at first, but grew louder and more frequent over time. It didn't start until around ~10k miles (at 16k now).

I did have one noise coming from the weatherstripping on my driver's door frame. It would make a sound every time I hit a bump or the body of the car flexed as I was turning. It mysteriously disappeared by last fall, and hasn't come back since.

I'll keep this post updated if I learn anything new from the dealer.

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel like every time i go over a bump I hear a popping sound but it seems like it's the windshield to me. Not very loud.

I'm at 8000 miles.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only "pop" sound I have is the occasional one from the drivers door.

Count me in on the passenger seatbelt banging too.

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only "pop" sound I have is the occasional one from the drivers door.

Count me in on the passenger seatbelt banging too.

YEAH IVe considered adding some Foam pad right where it makes contact but I'm OCD about keeping it good looking.

milkandcereal

First Name
Lindsey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Does anyone else have a relatively loud, high-pitch POP coming from the rear passenger-side area? It happens to mine randomly as I drive over bumps or anything else that causes the suspension to react. It's much, much louder when the rear seats are folded down – it seems to be coming from somewhere near the wheel. The noise persists even when you remove everything possible from the car, including the spare tire and tools.

The dealership spent a week trying to identify and fix it to no avail. They completely disassembled and insulated the rear deck (speaker area) and removed and insulated the rear bumper, but it didn't help at all. They basically gave up and had me take the car back, but it's just as bad as always.

No amount of pushing or slapping things in the interior will replicate the issue, nor will pushing up and down on the car, no matter how hard you try. It ONLY happens while driving.

I'd post a video, but there's so much road noise picked up by my phone in that area that it's hard to discern from a recording. But it's as plain as day while driving, sometimes even with the windows down or with music playing.

Anyone else have this issue?

Was this ever resolved? I’m having the same issue with the front passenger suspension. I’ve taken my car 8 times and had a field engineer drive it. They can “never replicate the sound” but I haven sent them videos. Still can’t figure it out!
Sponsored