RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looking at the concept again, the blacked out center bar makes so much difference. Also love that bottom center mesh grill - very aggressive. Hope something like that ends up on the Si model.
It probably will.

Slightly confused why they didn't fill in the bottom grill portion with a mesh on the regular civic. Such a weird minor thing to cost cut on...
Sponsored

Ten10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Accord
If the Si looks exactly like the Concept I will be more than pleased. It's really a very nice looking design from all angles.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
It probably will.

Slightly confused why they didn't fill in the bottom grill portion with a mesh on the regular civic. Such a weird minor thing to cost cut on...
Maybe the mesh didn't allow for enough airflow.

Bottom grill portion is much smaller anyway compared to the concept's so it wouldn't have made as big of a difference. I'm hopin the Si gets a larger lower grill just like the concept and if it doesn't get a mesh, that's easy enough to DIY.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
I don't think it has anything to do with cost cutting. That lower grille design with the horizontal slat has been a Civic design staple since the 3rd generation, particularly for the sedans. (In fact, the only sedan I can think of not using this style was the rushed re-do from 2013.)

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think it has anything to do with cost cutting. That lower grille design with the horizontal slat has been a Civic design staple since the 3rd generation, particularly for the sedans. (In fact, the only sedan I can think of not using this style was the rushed re-do from 2013.)
I've noticed this. I was looking at an 8th gen sedan (later model after it's refresh) and i noticed the new civic actually shares more design language with the 8th gen than it does with the 9th. The lower grill openings, the flat chrome bar in the upper grill. etc. The new car is almost more of an evolution of the 8th gen than the 9th. And all the design cues from the 9th gen coupe just flew out the window (not a bad thing). The 8th gen civic was a car of year winner with motor trend... the 9th gen has been based since day one. makes sense honda would throw it out and pretend it never existed and instead started their design evolution more from the 8th.

OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've noticed this. I was looking at an 8th gen sedan (later model after it's refresh) and i noticed the new civic actually shares more design language with the 8th gen than it does with the 9th. The lower grill openings, the flat chrome bar in the upper grill. etc. The new car is almost more of an evolution of the 8th gen than the 9th. And all the design cues from the 9th gen coupe just flew out the window (not a bad thing). The 8th gen civic was a car of year winner with motor trend... the 9th gen has been based since day one. makes sense honda would throw it out and pretend it never existed and instead started their design evolution more from the 8th.
Definitely true. Very clear when you look at them next to each other. And also goes to show how aggressive the new sedan design is compared to the previous two generations.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Honda Civic Coupe Interior and Exterior Up-Close! civicsedans

roppongi

Threads
Reaction score
Man looking at that comparison the previous ones already look dated and so frumpy compared to the new one. And I think the Civic X face will work better for both a sedan and coupe (and hatchback) than the previous ones too.

Ten10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Accord
Besides design, it also shows how much better the stance is now. Almost looks like a proper sports car :)

On the flip side even if the comparison is not to scale, the fact that it has grown in size also is noticeable.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Besides design, it also shows how much better the stance is now. Almost looks like a proper sports car :)

On the flip side even if the comparison is not to scale, the fact that it has grown in size also is noticeable.
Well we already know it's grown some. 2 inches in width puts the civic at current accord width practically. 1.5 inches to the wheelbase... they haven't said exact length of the car yet but i figure around 2-3 inches maybe(and that's mostly to the back end). Also ride height going down an inch.

All those design cues and size adjustments, plus the long hood and the fastback looking rear help to visually elongate the car (making it look longer than it is) and give it that more traditional "euro sport sedan" look and proportions. Honda has said it looked to european sport compacts during development of the civic, so not surprising it has a proper sporty stance now. The cab forward design of the 8th and 9th gen, while sporty in their own right at the time, did nothing for giving the civic the mature look it has now.

I'm super excited to see the coupe with that long hood and a shorter rear end. I've already drawn visual comparisons to the rear of the Audi TT coupe when looking at the coupe spy shots.

Red Traveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Why did they have to lengthen and widen the car to give it a better stance? I wish they could have redesigned the platform to just push everything from the A pillar back for a longer hood. Likewise some of the widening could be accomplished by pushing the wheels/fenders out without increasing the track.

I do like the new design, but I just wonder why companies feel the need to work off of the current gen's dimensions if it is an all new ground up platform.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why did they have to lengthen and widen the car to give it a better stance? I wish they could have redesigned the platform to just push everything from the A pillar back for a longer hood. Likewise some of the widening could be accomplished by pushing the wheels/fenders out without increasing the track.

I do like the new design, but I just wonder why companies feel the need to work off of the current gen's dimensions if it is an all new ground up platform.

Without some size increase of the car overall "just pushing everything back" would have dramatically decreased interior space. There are also mechanical space issues with just pushing the wheels outward to increase track width, especially with front wheel drive cars. The increased width of the new model was so that they could push the wheels out more and increase the track.

Making the car wider is not a problem... it's a good thing... it not only makes the car look more aggressive and planted but helps to lower the center of gravity which actually improves handling, stability and the planted feeling a car should have in corners.

The whole point is they aren't using the old platform anymore... the new platform is meant to be modular, underpin multiple models. The new platform is lighter, stronger, and cheaper to produce which meant honda could put more money into interior quality, new tech and features as well as increasing the performance of the car, without raising the cost of the car sky high.

The length is more a visual illusion than a dramatic reality... a few inches isn't going to be noticed by most people. And it helped the civic gain class leading interior space while maintaining it's substantial trunk space.

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
Real answer is probably because people are getting taller and fatter :) Cars never go down in size anymore, especially interior space. Honda designers know that so they have to increase the car size a little in order to increase interior and trunk space. I don't mind the size increase at all.

The increased wheelbase and track gives the car more stable handling and also makes the car look better so there's double benefits from that. Just lengthening the car without a longer wheelbase would give you even longer overhangs which is bad for handling (puts more weight further away from the center o the car) and also just looks bad.

Red Traveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Real answer is probably because people are getting taller and fatter :) Cars never go down in size anymore, especially interior space. Honda designers know that so they have to increase the car size a little in order to increase interior and trunk space. I don't mind the size increase at all.

The increased wheelbase and track gives the car more stable handling and also makes the car look better so there's double benefits from that. Just lengthening the car without a longer wheelbase would give you even longer overhangs which is bad for handling (puts more weight further away from the center o the car) and also just looks bad.
I agree wider track makes the car look better in terms of being more planted but increasing wheelbase just makes a car look longer. I haven't heard many complaints that the current Civic's interior is too cramped. I guess the wheelbase increase had to be done once they decided to increase track. I'm guessing it wasn't so they could increase interior room, though it probably a happy consequence of it.

back2civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
I agree wider track makes the car look better in terms of being more planted but increasing wheelbase just makes a car look longer. I haven't heard many complaints that the current Civic's interior is too cramped. I guess the wheelbase increase had to be done once they decided to increase track. I'm guessing it wasn't so they could increase interior room, though it probably a happy consequence of it.
The increase to wheelbase is probably due to the fact that they're using the new global platform that's shared with the Accord.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Not increasing the wheelbase but increasing the car length makes the car look even longer and better than by increasing the wheelbase and shortening the overhangs.

And I don't think the increased interior room is an unintentional result of a long wheelbase. It's definitely intentional. It may not be a common complaint but Honda is still gunning for best interior space in class. Stuff like that sells cars... maybe not to us enthusiasts but to general public.
Sponsored