hothatchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Mark5
Totally agree with Rob. Just look at the current Type R it looks sporty and aggressive even with 5 doors. You can't even tell it has rear doors if you're not looking carefully. Plus it's got the utility of having all 5 doors. :thumbsup: Can't say the same about the 3 vs 5 door VW Golf (and I drive one).

I doubt we'll see both a 3 and 5 door hatchback.
Sponsored

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I agree with whoosh, I prefer the 3 door hatchback. Sporty like a coupe, practical like a mini wagon, and usable back seats for the usually rare instance you'll be ferrying more than 1 extra person in your compact performance coupe.

Between the 3 and 5 door GTI, I prefer the 3 door. Their 5 door looks wonky compared to the 3 door.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree with whoosh, I prefer the 3 door hatchback. Sporty like a coupe, practical like a mini wagon, and usable back seats for the usually rare instance you'll be ferrying more than 1 extra person in your compact performance coupe.

Between the 3 and 5 door GTI, I prefer the 3 door. Their 5 door looks wonky compared to the 3 door.
But honda is selling cars on looks alone. And in Europe people buy cars for their max usability. Hence why you don't see many coupes there that arent high performance luxury cars or super cars. When it comes to hatches they want user friendly. And that's where the hatches are being built and majority sold. While i agree i like the looks of a 3 door hatch, it just doesn't have a strong business case for honda to build such a car when the 5 door already looks exactly like the 3 door did.

Shortbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Fit Blue Sensation
But honda is selling cars on looks alone. And in Europe people buy cars for their max usability. Hence why you don't see many coupes there that arent high performance luxury cars or super cars. When it comes to hatches they want user friendly. And that's where the hatches are being built and majority sold. While i agree i like the looks of a 3 door hatch, it just doesn't have a strong business case for honda to build such a car when the 5 door already looks exactly like the 3 door did.
And there's always the coupe for those looking for something sleekier and sportier than a 5 door hatch.

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
So are we really looking at an ILX with its rear section replaced with euro hatchback rear? Why go to the trouble of doing all this with the hatchback prototype when the coupe and sedan prototypes use their own bodies + camo for disguise.
They probably did, but they probably just used 9th gens or ILX to test so we never knew the difference. No reason to camo a car already on the road if you can't see the mechanicals they're testing.
Begs the question tho why they didn't just use the current euro hatchback for testing then. :dunno:

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Begs the question tho why they didn't just use the current euro hatchback for testing then. :dunno:
It could have been a size restriction... the current euro is alot smaller than our car here.... it's on a fit platform, not a civic platform. It might have been too difficult to fit the mechanical stuff into the current euro hatch because of size, so they needed a bigger car like the ILX which is much closer in size to the 10th gen than the 9th gen hatch is.

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Been looking closer at the pics. Looks like 6 piston Brembo up front but standard brakes in rear.

Also this has to be a mashup of parts from different cars like you guys been speculated. Look at this area here where the rear door transitions to the rear fender. It's completely irregular and weird. No way it looks like that under the camo or this will be the ugliest Honda in history :D

Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic hatchback prototype spotted testing Si or Type R parts? [Updated w/ Video] b
Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic hatchback prototype spotted testing Si or Type R parts? [Updated w/ Video] a

manhunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas
It's still early but it looks like they are really committing to the chrome window surround trim and the funky triple tailpipes. On another note, the wide flared out fenders and large wheels look great on the new body.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Here's the first live look video at these prototypes. No acceleration or revving sounds, but we do get to hear them idle.

Couldn't even give us a little rev action? Anyone tell what this might be based on just idle sounds :what:

Is that the sound of the car accelerating for a split sec at the 30 second mark?
Think it was just a passing car in the background.

Type-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Fit Sport
Been looking closer at the pics. Looks like 6 piston Brembo up front but standard brakes in rear.

Also this has to be a mashup of parts from different cars like you guys been speculated. Look at this area here where the rear door transitions to the rear fender. It's completely irregular and weird. No way it looks like that under the camo or this will be the ugliest Honda in history :D

b.jpg
a.jpg
Yup some of the senior guys here were the first to spot that these mules have an ILX front with a euro hatch back end. Lots of us are eagerly waiting for the actual prototypes with newly styled body to be spotted. Was hoping that was in the video when I saw the headline. :(

Connorsrandom

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Updated September 29 with the first video of these prototypes.

Updated September 4 with new photos of a caravan of similar prototypes, with current Type R in tow being benchmarked again.

Here's some more photos that we caught of what could be a mule for the next Type R Civic which can be seen here wearing red Brembo brakes and a three-center exhaust setup. Another clue that this is the next halo Civic is the fact that it was being shadowed by the current Type R -- being used for benchmarking purposes. The mule body still retains the Acura ILX front end seen in earlier prototypes - as the focus for now is likely on testing of the powertrain, chassis, suspension, brakes, wheels, etc.

IMG_5810.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg

IMG_5813.jpg

IMG_5831.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

IMG_5850.jpg

IMG_5853.jpg

IMG_5855.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

IMG_5862.jpg

50.jpg

10.jpg

34.jpg

31.jpg

13.jpg

62.jpg

59.jpg

53.jpg

Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic hatchback prototype spotted testing Si or Type R parts? [Updated w/ Video] {filename}
Honda Civic 10th gen New Civic hatchback prototype spotted testing Si or Type R parts? [Updated w/ Video] {filename}

The 10th gen Civic 5-door hatchback prototype was just spotted in Spain near Honda's IDIADA proving grounds. This isn't the first spotting of the 5 door hatchback, but compared to the previous one spotted, this one features some changes.

The front still wears an old Acura ILX front end but the front lower bumper now features 3 air intakes, as in the patent drawings for the coupe and sedan variants. The tail lights are now exposed to show the same wraparound tail lights we've seen on the Civic concept, as well as the coupe and sedan prototypes. The window trim is now in a more production looking silver finish. And the biggest and most surprising difference is the 3 exhaust tips in the center of the rear bumper, with one odd smaller center tip. The wheels are also bigger than on the previous prototype and suggest a sporty model.

Could some of the sportier parts be a sign that Honda is testing parts and components for the new Si or Type R model? Wouldn't surprise us.

Photos via Pistonudos.

That front end is really throwing me off. And those tail lights, though they look dope, seem to be very small.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That front end is really throwing me off. And those tail lights, though they look dope, seem to be very small.
The video didn't seem to load, but assuming it's showing the same test mule as in the pictures that follow... these are old shots of the 10th gen test mules. They combined the ILX front end with the rear end of the 9th gen Euro civic hatchbacks to create the body so that they could test internals and such. This isn't a test mule for the 11th gen.
Sponsored