OP

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Well I picked it up from the dealer last night and spoke to the tech about it. They say all of their new 1.5T cars make the same noise, although it's usually not as loud as mine. They are saying since they all make it, it's normal unless something comes out that its an issue. I don't really buy this completely because it doesn't sound right to me, I'm not a mechanic but it doesn't sound healthy. They want to see if anything changes after the first oil change and putting some more miles on it since the car is so new and is still under warranty for a long time yet. It was an interesting conversation because the tech and the service adviser got in a bit of an argument about when I should change the oil. The tech said there is no way he would go 10K miles he recommended 5k. The service adviser stuck to the standard honda answer that I should always follow the maintenance minder. Either way I'm changing the oil tonight, it just hit 5k on my way into work this morning.
Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Well I picked it up from the dealer last night and spoke to the tech about it. They say all of their new 1.5T cars make the same noise, although it's usually not as loud as mine. They are saying since they all make it, it's normal unless something comes out that its an issue. I don't really buy this completely because it doesn't sound right to me, I'm not a mechanic but it doesn't sound healthy. They want to see if anything changes after the first oil change and putting some more miles on it since the car is so new and is still under warranty for a long time yet. It was an interesting conversation because the tech and the service adviser got in a bit of an argument about when I should change the oil. The tech said there is no way he would go 10K miles he recommended 5k. The service adviser stuck to the standard honda answer that I should always follow the maintenance minder. Either way I'm changing the oil tonight, it just hit 5k on my way into work this morning.
are you planning on taking a sample to run the test on that oil? please try to measure how much oil you'll be able to drain...just curios if fuel dilution is present your car as well, thanks

glbg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sports Hatchback
Country flag
I have the same rattling noise.

OP
OP

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
are you planning on taking a sample to run the test on that oil? please try to measure how much oil you'll be able to drain...just curios if fuel dilution is present your car as well, thanks
I wasn't planning on it but I might. I have previously used blackstone labs in Fort Wayne but I know there are some pretty hefty debates about their methods of measuring fuel dilution. Who did you use?

glbg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sports Hatchback
Country flag
Have you brought it to the attention of your dealer?
I forgot to mention it when I have my 3 way coupler replaced. But will do next time I go back to the dealer.

Last edited:

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I wasn't planning on it but I might. I have previously used blackstone labs in Fort Wayne but I know there are some pretty hefty debates about their methods of measuring fuel dilution. Who did you use?
I used Blackstone as well. But planning to use oil analyzers this time around, they have a lab in houston so no shipping charges involved - 20$ for full analysis including TBN.

OP
OP

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
I used Blackstone as well. But planning to use oil analyzers this time around, they have a lab in houston so no shipping charges involved - 20$ for full analysis including TBN.
I know oil analyzers is very popular especially with fans of amsoil as I believe they own a large stake in it or have some sort of relationship with between the two. I thought it was much more expensive than $20 though, for me I would have to ship it as I live in Ohio, actually only an hour and a half from Fort Wayne lol. What oil are you using now?

OP
OP

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
I know oil analyzers is very popular especially with fans of amsoil as I believe they own a large stake in it or have some sort of relationship with between the two. I thought it was much more expensive than $20 though, for me I would have to ship it as I live in Ohio, actually only an hour and a half from Fort Wayne lol. What oil are you using now?
I actually see now that oil analyzers has a lab in Indianapolis which is the same as Fort Wayne from me.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Amsoil SS 0w20, 750mi after the change. Yes, they sell kits on amsoil site. even one with UPS pre-paid is like 28$ - sounds like a good deal!

OP
OP

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Amsoil SS 0w20, 750mi after the change. Yes, they sell kits on amsoil site. even one with UPS pre-paid is like 28$ - sounds like a good deal!
I had a feeling you were going to say amsoil lol. Are you a reseller? When I go to their site its saying $33.90.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
sounds normal for a DI (direct injected) engine, something we have to get used to since all these new cars are DI and make the same or similar noise due to the high pressure fuel pump being used

OP
OP

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
sounds normal for a DI (direct injected) engine, something we have to get used to since all these new cars are DI and make the same or similar noise due to the high pressure fuel pump being used
This is my second direct injection car and I've heard many, none sounded like that when they started. There shouldn't be a rattle to them, the tick noise of the injectors I expect and would even expect it to get louder as the miles rack up as my 16 wrx did. I was surprised at how loud the injectors on this car are compared to the wrx but that could be because they are on the top near the hood whereas the wrx had them on the sides since it is a boxer.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I had a feeling you were going to say amsoil lol. Are you a reseller? When I go to their site its saying $33.90.
No, I'm just a guy giving that oil a try for the first time). I purchased 8qts of oil and two of their filters (plus the filter cap) for 120 all included (shipment was like 11$ I think). So far it looks like the car likes that oil - I don't hear that rattle at the cold starts and 750mi in the oil level is where it was at the very beginning. So, if you feel like - give it a try.

OP
OP

Zdiver

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
No, I'm just a guy giving that oil a try for the first time). I purchased 8qts of oil and two of their filters (plus the filter cap) for 120 all included (shipment was like 11$ I think). So far it looks like the car likes that oil - I don't hear that rattle at the cold starts and 750mi in the oil level is where it was at the very beginning. So, if you feel like - give it a try.
Gotcha, I'm not against amsoil its good stuff. I have just always been a fan of motul which I already purchased for my civic. I ran it in my 370z and wrx, it performed great in both of those. I have been thinking about giving amsoil a try in my cars, as I have always used it in my bikes. I might try it after the motul, do comparisons on both and see how they shake out.
Sponsored