s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Since I'm on the buying end of the transaction, of course I'd love for the price to be as low as possible. Having said that, I'm pro-capitalism (no, not the perverted/twisted modern definition of the word - which is more like corporatism or "crony" capitalism) all the way. In a free market, transactions between parties are voluntary and everyone comes out ahead, otherwise, the transaction wouldn't happen. Price reflects supply and demand. If the price is too high, people won't buy and the seller will be forced to slash prices. This is price discovery working in the marketplace. If all dealers sold CTRs at MSRP, it might be even harder to obtain this car.

People also complain about price "gouging" of gas during natural disaster emergencies. Not really gouging on the part of the gas station as gas isn't getting to the station at the same rate as before and they aren't making as much money anyway. Not truly apples to apples comparison, as a CTR isn't a necessity, but it's the same principle of free markets working. If people deem gas too expensive, there are other gas stations down the street. This mechanism of price discovery also prevents morons from hoarding gas filling up 20 jugs with 100 cars waiting in line, thus mitigating shortage risks. More people have access to gas and to those who really need it.

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
Since I'm on the buying end of the transaction, of course I'd love for the price to be as low as possible. Having said that, I'm pro-capitalism (no, not the perverted/twisted modern definition of the word - which is more like corporatism or "crony" capitalism) all the way. In a free market, transactions between parties are voluntary and everyone comes out ahead, otherwise, the transaction wouldn't happen. Price reflects supply and demand. If the price is too high, people won't buy and the seller will be forced to slash prices. This is price discovery working in the marketplace. If all dealers sold CTRs at MSRP, it might be even harder to obtain this car.

People also complain about price "gouging" of gas during natural disaster emergencies. Not really gouging on the part of the gas station as gas isn't getting to the station at the same rate as before and they aren't making as much money anyway. Not truly apples to apples comparison, as a CTR isn't a necessity, but it's the same principle of free markets working. If people deem gas too expensive, there are other gas stations down the street. This mechanism of price discovery also prevents morons from hoarding gas filling up 20 jugs with 100 cars waiting in line, thus mitigating shortage risks. More people have access to gas and to those who really need it.
sadly; Gas Price Fixing is not usally capitalism;
they are gouging plain and simple - there is a HUGE difference between "natural disaster" price changes, and then what people defend as such. the price gouging (no quotes, because, it really IS that) is when the fuel is there, the delay is minimal but the prices double. that's gouging. the mechanism of higher prices so people won't hoard only has been proven to work because people cannot afford the phony price hikes. if price out out the customers that actually will use and can use your product, magically your demand goes down.

price hikes are almost NEVER done by the stations themselves - those price hikes are the ones that get fixed by price discovery and capitalism - but when it's the suppliers and the shippers who raise the price, FORCING the stations to raise (which happens a majority of the time) and they claim the shortages (of course they supplies slow down, no one is ordering as fast when you charge 2x because of wall-street speculation); that's just corporate greed, because that's a false shortage (there is no shortage before, or after the price hike) and just corporatism.

now where does ADM relate? it's sadly as you said; capitalism, the cars are getting there for there proper costs - but the dealer (or in the fuel debate) decides they want MORE profit for false supply shortages - CAUSING a lack of demand, and showing higher ups "there isn't as much demand for the car as we thought"

Kolzig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2007 Civic SI 4-door
Country flag
Joined just so I could post this. Honda does not seem to want to pull back the reins on dealers adding ADM. I had this conversation with the Honda Customer Relations team. Super sad, because I can only imagine what the mark up will be and even though it will be the first gen here in the US, I am not going to be stupid with my money.

David (5/25/2017, 2:16:24 PM): Thank you for chatting with Honda. How may I help you?
Me (5/25/2017, 2:16:32 PM): Hi David
David (5/25/2017, 2:16:48 PM): Hello.
Me (5/25/2017, 2:17:19 PM): I know Honda has a mandate that dealers should not be adding an ADM to the honda type R
Me (5/25/2017, 2:17:52 PM): I would like to identify a dealership that just informed that they are going to be doing it even after I asked about Honda saying not to.
David (5/25/2017, 2:18:25 PM): Thank you for advising us of this.
Me (5/25/2017, 2:18:28 PM): Albany Oregon Power Honda.
Me (5/25/2017, 2:19:10 PM): They have not given me a specific number, but, the sales person 'Dan Eckles' informed me it would be "Hefty"
Me (5/25/2017, 2:19:49 PM): He indicated that this was a corporate decision.
David (5/25/2017, 2:20:47 PM): Unfortunately volume of the Type-R will be limited. We encourage our dealers to attempt and price the vehicle at or below MSRP. However, because all dealers are independent we cannot forbid an ADM.
Me (5/25/2017, 2:21:43 PM): I appreciate the response and hope the information I have provided will illicit some change.
David (5/25/2017, 2:22:40 PM): Thank you. We certainly use this feedback to improve the process and experience for our customers.
Me (5/25/2017, 2:22:55 PM): Have a great day David, thank you

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
I work at an audi dealer.. i remember first r8 was sold at our dealer for 50k over msrp

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I say let them sell it at whatever price they want. People will either buy it or they won't. Unlike the unicorns of the late 90's, Honda's competition is a bit more fierce with the STi, Golf R and Focus RS all in circulation.

I remember all the hype following the RS after several generations of not offering a USDM model. It took less than 4 months for a good portion of dealers to start negotiating. Here they're now selling for 500-1K below MSRP.

CN: Give it a few months for production to catch up.

typerfanboy282

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagen Jetta Mark VI
I say let them sell it at whatever price they want. People will either buy it or they won't. Unlike the unicorns of the late 90's, Honda's competition is a bit more fierce with the STi, Golf R and Focus RS all in circulation.

I remember all the hype following the RS after several generations of not offering a USDM model. It took less than 4 months for a good portion of dealers to start negotiating. Here they're now selling for 500-1K below MSRP.

CN: Give it a few months for production to catch up.
They can't get the RS models off the lot down here, the first parade of people that wanted them already found the deals they were looking for at other dealers that weren't marking them up , now the dealers that did mark them up can't move them because of the forums for the FOCus RS , trannys going bad already, the horsepower not being representative of what was promised , bad clutch , the list goes on and on lol , it's why i decided not to get one

OP
OP
HondaPro

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would wait for the 2018s anyhow. Soon as they hit the book values of the 2017s hit at 3-5k under msrp.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I would wait for the 2018s anyhow. Soon as they hit the book values of the 2017s hit at 3-5k under msrp.
I've heard people say that for years - especially dealers when they're trying to low-ball you on a trade-in ("Well, we can't give you THAT much on your trade because the new ones are out now.") In my 30 years of car buying and selling experience, I've found price drops to be much more gradual than the "overnight" occurrence some will proclaim.
Sponsored