Sport Touring Owners - awful when taking off?

Biggeek55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Type R, 2019 Accord 2.0 Touring, 2017 Hatch Sport Touring, 2015 Civic SI
Country flag
Hi all, I just test drove a Sport Touring Hatch for the first time and want owners thoughts on the Power on takeoff.. or more accurately the NO power on takeoff.

I come from years of non cvt driving and i literally put my foot down to drive .. wait a count of 2, then slowly start rolling forward. I'm afraid I'm going to kill myself or someone else taking off into traffic.

Am I just driving this wrong when taking off from a start? Also I'm afraid passing cars at speed may end up the same.. put throttle down.. count to three then begin reacting..
Sponsored

Zange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WoP Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi all, I just test drove a Sport Touring Hatch for the first time and want owners thoughts on the Power on takeoff.. or more accurately the NO power on takeoff.

I come from years of non cvt driving and i literally put my foot down to drive .. wait a count of 2, then slowly start rolling forward. I'm afraid I'm going to kill myself or someone else taking off into traffic.

Am I just driving this wrong when taking off from a start? Also I'm afraid passing cars at speed may end up the same.. put throttle down.. count to three then begin reacting..
All trims are like that. The turbo lag is very noticeable. I'm hearing that reflashing the ecu with hondata or Ktuner fixes that.

OP
OP

Biggeek55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Type R, 2019 Accord 2.0 Touring, 2017 Hatch Sport Touring, 2015 Civic SI
Country flag
All trims are like that. The turbo lag is very noticeable. I'm hearing that reflashing the ecu with hondata or Ktuner fixes that.
they dont have a flash for the cvt do they? thought they only did manual trans versions.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Its the small engine - 1.5L - it doesn't have the torque off the line, but once the turbo kicks in, you'll get going. But it shouldn't be nearly anywhere as bad off the line as you make it sound to be unless you have that stupid Econ mode button engaged?

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
I test drove a CVT last week just so I wasn't among those bashing it without having driven it, but yes it's worse than my 6MT and undriveable, IMO. No doubt flashing helps.

OP
OP

Biggeek55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Its the small engine - 1.5L - it doesn't have the torque off the line, but once the turbo kicks in, you'll get going. But it shouldn't be nearly anywhere as bad off the line as you make it sound to be unless you have that stupid Econ mode button engaged?
No eco button on. Problem is I've always driven either manual transmission or my accord v6 with automatic which has tons of power off line for an auto.

This is the first time I've tried a small turbo or cvt.. My daughters camry Sedan would destroy this.. Until it hit 25 mph anyway. Lol

OP
OP

Biggeek55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I test drove a CVT last week just so I wasn't among those bashing it without having driven it, but yes it's worse than my 6MT and undriveable, IMO. No doubt flashing helps.
Def think some research into hondata is in order.. Loved everything else about it.. But that power off the line was big negative.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Def think some research into hondata is in order.. Loved everything else about it.. But that power off the line was big negative.
The stock ECU delays the turbo spool. KTuner and Hondata flash tunes do not play by the same (slow and boring) rules.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
It's not the engine; all CVTs are like that. That being said, off the line the Civic CVT is actually one of the more responsive ones.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
The stock ECU delays the turbo spool. KTuner and Hondata flash tunes do not play by the same (slow and boring) rules.
I used to own a Mazda Speed 3. I had nanny limiter in first, second and some suggest third gear. The torque steer was so bad you could end up landing your own mailbox down if not careful. I could chirp tires and wheel hop which is NOT GOOD for traction at any time in first or second gear. When you watch a last gen Si vs 10th gen 1.5l at slow speed take off 15 mph or greater you will see the Si chirp, the 10th gen fall behind and then blamo ... the CVT and boost built and the 10th beats the Si every time at "highway speeds" ... they never show you a full stop zero speed run with Hondata on the internet (Si vs 10th gen CVT) on purpose since it's pretty biased company looking to lock your $$$ in for a purchase. In theory a 6 speed last gen Si and a CVT 10th gen will equal out zero to 60 (very similar to the Mazda Speed 3 vs Subaru 0-100 / Mazda wins to the 100 mph because the drag of the 4 wheel drive system slows the Subaru down over time but Subaru wins 0-60 hands down) . I enjoy the CVT for what it is. The problem that I see is that they (Honda) have alienated the Si buyer since that model is no longer king and unless you have 40K to toss around for the (insert model name here - I forget) ... you are not a player in the game. I am lying in waiting with this car hoping that something else catches my eye that offers excitement at a reasonable price over time.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not the engine; all CVTs are like that. That being said, off the line the Civic CVT is actually one of the more responsive ones.
after reflashing, I can tell you there is very little CVT lag, I always thought it was the CVT, it's not, it's artificial turbo lag. I'm loving my tune and almost v6 off the line power I'm getting, paired with the ease of passing, it feels like a new car to me.

OP
OP

Biggeek55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
after reflashing, I can tell you there is very little CVT lag, I always thought it was the CVT, it's not, it's artificial turbo lag. I'm loving my tune and almost v6 off the line power I'm getting, paired with the ease of passing, it feels like a new car to me.
Did you use hondata 6psi flash? So you are saying it's close to foot to the floor instant response now?
I literally counted to 2 before the test drive seemed to know I pressed the gas. Then it very slowly accelerated for another 1 to 2 seconds before starting the steady climb upward.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you use hondata 6psi flash? So you are saying it's close to foot to the floor instant response now?
I literally counted to 2 before the test drive seemed to know I pressed the gas. Then it very slowly accelerated for another 1 to 2 seconds before starting the steady climb upward.
I know exactly what your talking about and I hated the way my car felt before, I used to do a "stutter step" method and slowly press the throttle until I got to second gear "ratio" so I could take off. (yes our car has programmed gears didn't even know before I got my V2. anyways, you can change throttle response, turbo spool, partial throttle response, and turbo ramp rate under quick adjustments, with all of this turned up I no longer feel that initial lag taking off. now if your trying to gun it, you'll still feel a lag because your actually requesting more boost so it will take a second for it to build. but normal driving, there is no longer a press...wait...go
Sponsored