2016 Civic vs. Accord

Jerimorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2004
I'm a dedicated Honda owner, about to get my 3rd in a series of Hondas over the past 30+ years. I currently have a 2004 Civic Hybrid. I'm usually in the car alone, without passengers.

Today, I test drove a 2016 Civic and Accord, both EXs. I thought I'd like the Civic best, since I don't need a larger car and since I'm coming from a Civic already. But the interior of the Civic shocked and disappointed me. The front seat area looked and felt boxy, with an overpoweringly large center console. And the fabric seats looked, well, cheap - the fabric seemed like polyester compared to my old Civic's textured fabric, and the stripe down the middle of the seat looks oddly placed.

I don't want leather - I don't like the feel of it in the summer, and I don't like having to take care of it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has the same impressions of the 2016 Civic.

I'm contemplating getting the Accord instead. It's bigger than I want, and the gas mileage isn't as good as the Civic, but the interior doesn't have the same issues.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX 6sp , 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon , 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.0
Country flag
I like the interior of my LX

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a dedicated Honda owner, about to get my 3rd in a series of Hondas over the past 30+ years. I currently have a 2004 Civic Hybrid. I'm usually in the car alone, without passengers.

Today, I test drove a 2016 Civic and Accord, both EXs. I thought I'd like the Civic best, since I don't need a larger car and since I'm coming from a Civic already. But the interior of the Civic shocked and disappointed me. The front seat area looked and felt boxy, with an overpoweringly large center console. And the fabric seats looked, well, cheap - the fabric seemed like polyester compared to my old Civic's textured fabric, and the stripe down the middle of the seat looks oddly placed.

I don't want leather - I don't like the feel of it in the summer, and I don't like having to take care of it.

I'm contemplating getting the Accord instead. It's bigger than I want, and the gas mileage isn't as good as the Civic, but the interior doesn't have the same issues.

Thoughts?
The leather seats are not the typical leather seats they have pin holes in them to help cool you, I have the Touring and I find them to be very comfortable so far, 3 weeks and 1300 miles in

Mistahoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GS350, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Accord Touring

Thoughts?
Everyone has their own opinions of how the cars are. Honestly I feel the seats have improved on the 2016 Civic over the years. Honda leather is fairly decent, but far from high quality leather imo. We use Texas Auto Trim to line up our leather and it is high quality leather. Perforations or not, it seems like it doesn't affect wear (basing it on 10-15 year old Dealer installed leather in used vehicles), but I find it does help with airing out the heat in the summer. To sum it up, you can't go wrong with either vehicle. I love the new 2016 line up so far.

WhatTheFun

Knows some stuff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is quite the first post! Welcome to the site.

I do think most of the items you listed as negative, I view as a positive. Large center console is great for storing things and i can always find a good position to rest my arm. When my wife does occasionally ride in the car, we can both rest our elbows easily. I ended up choosing leather but I thought the cloth was a step up over the previous generation. The stripe is a neat touch.

In the end, this is your personal preference. It sounds like you would be happier with an accord.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The cloth on the 2016's blows away the cloth on my 2006 Hybrid. However, I liked the leather even more.

I agree that the console is oversized, but I chose the Civic because the Accord felt like a big boat and I didn't want to give up 5MPG's. Also I can fit in tighter parking spots and better turn radius on the Civic

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The cloth on the 2016's blows away the cloth on my 2006 Hybrid. However, I liked the leather even more.

I agree that the console is oversized, but I chose the Civic because the Accord felt like a big boat and I didn't want to give up 5MPG's. Also I can fit in tighter parking spots and better turn radius on the Civic
I love the center console, very versatile, I can put a lot of things in it, very innovative like the rest of the car :)

OP
OP

Jerimorris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2004
You guys are really helpful - thank you for your thoughts!

Will go back for a fresh look next weekend, then decide. Again, thank you!

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You guys are really helpful - thank you for your thoughts!

Will go back for a fresh look next weekend, then decide. Again, thank you!
In the end, the decision is really yours, we all chose the Civic X for a reason, and some of us didn't choose it for reasons.
Do what you need to do for yourself :)

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
I test drove a 2016 Civic EX and Touring model and a 2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan back to back. I left the dealer with the Accord.

While the new Civic is much improved over the old one, it still was not on the same level as the Accord refinement wise. The Accord had less engine noise, less road noise, better quality interior and of course was much faster (obviously the 4 cylinder Accord would be about the same or slower than new 1.5t civic).

Now, if I had to choose between a Civic Touring and 4 cylinder Accord, I'd take the Civic.

The only regrets I have are the Civic's size and mpg, although my Accord will get 30+mpg on the highway which I do most of, city driving sucks gas down.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I
I test drove a 2016 Civic EX and Touring model and a 2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan back to back. I left the dealer with the Accord.

While the new Civic is much improved over the old one, it still was not on the same level as the Accord refinement wise. The Accord had less engine noise, less road noise, better quality interior and of course was much faster (obviously the 4 cylinder Accord would be about the same or slower than new 1.5t civic).

Now, if I had to choose between a Civic Touring and 4 cylinder Accord, I'd take the Civic.

The only regrets I have are the Civic's size and mpg, although my Accord will get 30+mpg on the highway which I do most of, city driving sucks gas down.
You can't really compare a V6 to the civic. Not a fair comparison

Bworks3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus RX 300
That is quite the first post! Welcome to the site.

I do think most of the items you listed as negative, I view as a positive. Large center console is great for storing things and i can always find a good position to rest my arm. When my wife does occasionally ride in the car, we can both rest our elbows easily. I ended up choosing leather but I thought the cloth was a step up over the previous generation. The stripe is a neat touch.

In the end, this is your personal preference. It sounds like you would be happier with an accord.
I agree as well, but I understand how important personal perception is. When I have been out looking at competitor models, I've been quite surprised to see a tendency to incorporate cheap looking patterns that remind me of old 1980's commercial airline seats into the fabrics. I personally feel the new Civic cloth looks wonderful by comparison.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic vs. Accord airline seats 1
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic vs. Accord 2016-hyundai-santa-fe-lwb-interior_16
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic vs. Accord 2016-Chevrolet-Volt-Dark-Jet-Black-Cloth

Here's the Mazda3's cloth seats (below) which I didn't like either. I really liked their leather though. Way better IMO than the Civic.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic vs. Accord mazda seats

Versus Honda Civic (below. sorry I don't have better images). The Civic just seems more sporty and contemporary. I suppose I don't even want to know how awesome the Accord looks. Save me some serious cash since I'll still want it fully loaded.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 Civic vs. Accord 2016-honda-civic-lx-interior

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
I am having this same dilemma. I am await the hatchback renders to make a final decision. I really like the Accord sport only downside to me is the 19's it comes on. I rode in my buddies 2015 Accord Sport yesterday the car pulls nicely the paddle shifters are pretty fun to play with and the space is a big plus. Don't want to take away from this thread but does the 2016 Accord have the same TPMS system as the civic? The no longer in tire system?

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
does the 2016 Accord have the same TPMS system as the civic? The no longer in tire system?
Yes, I swapped the 16" wheels on my 2015 Accord to 18" Sport wheels and didn't have to do anything with TPMS sensors. Accord has done it by the tire rotation speed since at least 2013.
Sponsored