No oil in the engine, any damage?

Krispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX HS, 2008 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
So last month I took my 2016 Civic for an oil change to my local dealer. This morning when I drove out of the driveway I got "Emissions System Problem" message on the speedometer and I started to hear clacking noises from the engine and started to lose power. I got out to check the engine oil level and there was not a trace of oil left. I rolled the car back into my driveway, jacked it up and a whole bunch of oil spilled out of the skid plate.

Prior to today I got no indication of the low oil level and there are no oil stains on my driveway.

Do you guys know what is the potential of the engine damage?
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Potentially? Destroyed. Let's hope not though. That does not sound good. Any idea where it actually leaked from? How many miles on the car? How many miles ago was the last oil change?

OP
OP

Krispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Potentially? Destroyed. Let's hope not though. That does not sound good. Any idea where it actually leaked from? How many miles on the car? How many miles ago was the last oil change?
I didn't take off the skid plate so it is hard to say, maybe I will take it off once the towing gets here if the guy can wait a minute. The car has 46,000km and I did about 1,000km since the oil change.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didn't take off the skid plate so it is hard to say, maybe I will take it off once the towing gets here if the guy can wait a minute. The car has 46,000km and I did about 1,000km since the oil change.
If you're going to the dealer with it, I'd leave it as is. Let them take it off so they can't say you tampered with it.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It sounds like you are well within your warranty and if the dealer has been the one maintaining it you should not have anything to worry about. Still a headache to deal with though.

pwschuh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX 6-speed
Country flag
Do. Not. Touch. It.

If you change anything, the dealer will blame you. Just have it towed back to the dealer as-is and tell them they screwed up.

OP
OP

Krispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're going to the dealer with it, I'd leave it as is. Let them take it off so they can't say you tampered with it.
Took the skid plate off and this is what I found.

The tow truck driver was nice enough to give them a hard time too.. So I have a witness. The mechanic is investigating now...
Honda Civic 10th gen No oil in the engine, any damage? 20170427_084035

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why does your drain plug look so mangled? Is it just dirty or did somebody strip the top of that bolt? It looks like it was stripped during tightening, but that wouldn't make sense considering it untorqued itself.

This is a super serious blunder on the dealerships side. I wouldn't settle for anything less than them putting a new engine in the car. Idling a car for 3 minutes without oil will destroy an engine.

I would make sure you get a look at that crush washer. If it has no indications of being torqued on, they never secured your drain plug after your oil change.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Took the skid plate off and this is what I found.

The tow truck driver was nice enough to give them a hard time too.. So I have a witness. The mechanic is investigating now...
20170427_084035.jpg
Wow. That'll do it. Thanks for giving new blood to my fear of not tightening that bolt enough. I know it doesn't take much, but...

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow. That'll do it. Thanks for giving new blood to my fear of not tightening that bolt enough. I know it doesn't take much, but...
Torque spec is 30 ft/lbs (40Nm).

OP
OP

Krispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They put new oil in, cleared the codes and said it is good to go :doh:. I said no way, left the car there and I'm waiting for the manager who starts in 2 hours. I will be asking for the extended engine warranty at the least.

This is Orangeville Honda (Ontario) by the way. The same guys that sold me this civic two days after Stop Sale because of the piston ring recall. Shady stuff, I wasn't going to go back to them after the recall issue but the location was too convenient for me, I'm done with them after this though.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Always a bit squeamish about torquing a bolt which has oily or lubricated threads. I assume in this case they're assuming the threads are oily and not dry when they list the recommended torque.

Would have preferred they used a steel oil pan. Always concerned when tightening a bolt into aluminum threads when the bolt is removed and installed routinely many times.

spock_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
Have you driven it again? That noise was definitely rods knocking I would say. Generally the engine is damaged/ruined if you hear knocking but who knows. You should be able to mildly rev it and hear the knocking. If so I would only accept a new engine. Puzzling you did not see oil leaking anywhere prior to that though, no stains or puddles anywhere?

Last edited:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They put new oil in, cleared the codes and said it is good to go :doh:. I said no way, left the car there and I'm waiting for the manager who starts in 2 hours. I will be asking for the extended engine warranty at the least.

This is Orangeville Honda (Ontario) by the way. The same guys that sold me this civic two days after Stop Sale because of the piston ring recall. Shady stuff, I wasn't going to go back to them after the recall issue but the location was too convenient for me, I'm done with them after this though.
...wow :nono:
Sponsored