DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10)

se7encrows

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Finished my install yesterday. Thanks for all the information in this thread. I had to use the DC offset to get mine to work properly. For some reason. Sounds great though. Have to dial in some settings today when I have more time.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L
Finished my install yesterday. Thanks for all the information in this thread. I had to use the DC offset to get mine to work properly. For some reason. Sounds great though. Have to dial in some settings today when I have more time.
Nice dude.

mastranquilo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
So u just soldered the wires to the Hi-Level Input line I'm assuming?

Positive
Blue + yellow to Grey

Negative
White + brown to White?
I'm finishing up my sub install and was going to start a thread with some new tips when I get done, but since this thread has been bumped, I'll share my EASY method for tapping the signal from the rear speakers. I read that Honda has been using the same speaker connectors for years, so I'm amazed I haven't seen anyone else come up with something like this...

The two metal contacts inside the male clip on the rear speakers are actually just about the right size for attaching standard 1/4" female speaker disconnect terminals! I happened to find some "piggyback" terminal adapters at my auto parts store and they fit quite well to allow directly connecting two wires to each contact. I just had to slightly tighten the fit by carefully squeezing the female part of the adapter with some vice grips. On the blades of the piggyback adapter I connected the Metra 72-7800 harness that goes to the factory speaker female connector and my speaker wires that go to my line output converter. For style and strain relief I sleeved the Metra harness and speaker wire with paracord and heat shrink from the hardware store. Just for good measure, I put dielectric terminal "bulb" grease on each contact to prevent corrosion and make everything easy to disconnect in the future.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...Dorman+Conduct-Tite&mc=CTI&pt=N0840&ppt=C0189

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...k=Search_N1753_5229342_291&pt=N1753&ppt=C0189

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...h_bulb+grease_5229342_291&keyword=bulb+grease

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-7800-Connector-Harnesses-Vehicles/dp/B0002BEPJY

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-8-in-x-1-ft-Blue-and-Gray-Camo-Paracord-71506/207020069

Picture of connections to the male speaker connector (the sleeves are pulled back for identification when connecting, but can be slid all the way up to the terminals so no wires will show on the final install)

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_20170414_173815

Left side (also shows my distribution block, insulated with 2 in" heat shrink that hasn't been shrunk yet)

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_20170414_225441

Right side (also shows my ground point with decal preventing corrosion on the area where I sanded off too much paint :p)

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Install subwoofer in non-touring (P300-10) IMG_20170414_192834

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L
Wow!! Great write up Mastranquilo!!!

Update: I was able to get the sub up and running. After troubleshooting, i just got signal from both driver side and passenger side speakers.

Works like a charm now. Thanks for everyone's help.

rackz30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 exl
I got mine installed few days back and I couldn't be happier. It just makes the sound more crisp and gives that bass that just about right. :nixon::nixon::nixon:

ARMED

First Name
June
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport hatchback
Country flag
someone asked about the toggle switch, i dont know how to quote it...but maybe you can run the switch with the remote wire

Space Lord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'm finishing up my sub install and was going to start a thread with some new tips when I get done, but since this thread has been bumped, I'll share my EASY method for tapping the signal from the rear speakers. I read that Honda has been using the same speaker connectors for years, so I'm amazed I haven't seen anyone else come up with something like this...

The two metal contacts inside the male clip on the rear speakers are actually just about the right size for attaching standard 1/4" female speaker disconnect terminals! I happened to find some "piggyback" terminal adapters at my auto parts store and they fit quite well to allow directly connecting two wires to each contact. I just had to slightly tighten the fit by carefully squeezing the female part of the adapter with some vice grips. On the blades of the piggyback adapter I connected the Metra 72-7800 harness that goes to the factory speaker female connector and my speaker wires that go to my line output converter. For style and strain relief I sleeved the Metra harness and speaker wire with paracord and heat shrink from the hardware store. Just for good measure, I put dielectric terminal "bulb" grease on each contact to prevent corrosion and make everything easy to disconnect in the future.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...Dorman+Conduct-Tite&mc=CTI&pt=N0840&ppt=C0189

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...k=Search_N1753_5229342_291&pt=N1753&ppt=C0189

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...h_bulb+grease_5229342_291&keyword=bulb+grease

https://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-7800-Connector-Harnesses-Vehicles/dp/B0002BEPJY

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-8-in-x-1-ft-Blue-and-Gray-Camo-Paracord-71506/207020069

Picture of connections to the male speaker connector (the sleeves are pulled back for identification when connecting, but can be slid all the way up to the terminals so no wires will show on the final install)

IMG_20170414_173815.jpg

Left side (also shows my distribution block, insulated with 2 in" heat shrink that hasn't been shrunk yet)

IMG_20170414_225441.jpg

Right side (also shows my ground point with decal preventing corrosion on the area where I sanded off too much paint :p)

IMG_20170414_192834.jpg
Just curious, how did you mount your distribution block?

TT-00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sport Hatchback
Thank you all for all the information in this thread. Installed mine over the weekend, got the sub as a present from my kids last xmas, didn't get around to install until now. Everything sound so much better. Also replaced from door speakers with old 2001 MB Quart component speakers, waiting for RF P1650 6.5 inch 2 way for rear doors this weekend.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 2012 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
thanks for this thread and showing detailed pics of the install. i used a scoshe LOC2SL to convert the wires. when i plugged both RCA to the amp, i get no bass but just muffled high pitched sound. when i unplug one of the RCA, i would get normal bass out of the subwoofer.

is that normal to leave just one RCA into the amp?

my set up: rear deck speakers --> LOC --> pioneer amp --> 12" JL sub

update: user error and hooked up wires backwards to the LOC and cancelled itself out. fixed one of the channels +/- and can now use both RCA into amp. way more power into the sub now.

Last edited:

NoyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, great write up and I really appreciate the pictures posted here and everyone's input. I'm trying to do this and have a couple of questions.

1: How do you remove the driver side panels on the driver side of a coupe? Do you have to remove the seats? I tried looking up threads but most everything remotely about these panels are for sedans. I got as far as removing the first 2 notches from the door sill up to the seat belt holder and then wasn't sure if I needed to go all the up or not.

2: I've read here that tapping into the rear speakers isn't as good as tapping into the head unit, but I see a lot of people here just using the rear speakers. Does this mean that the bass from the rear speakers is totally fine and I don't have to grab the connectors for the LOC from the head unit?

I know this thread is really old with a sporadic time frame for posts but I hope someone could still help me out. This thread is pretty awesome with all the help everyone gives so thanks for any responses in advance!

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Hey guys, great write up and I really appreciate the pictures posted here and everyone's input. I'm trying to do this and have a couple of questions.

1: How do you remove the driver side panels on the driver side of a coupe? Do you have to remove the seats? I tried looking up threads but most everything remotely about these panels are for sedans. I got as far as removing the first 2 notches from the door sill up to the seat belt holder and then wasn't sure if I needed to go all the up or not.

2: I've read here that tapping into the rear speakers isn't as good as tapping into the head unit, but I see a lot of people here just using the rear speakers. Does this mean that the bass from the rear speakers is totally fine and I don't have to grab the connectors for the LOC from the head unit?

I know this thread is really old with a sporadic time frame for posts but I hope someone could still help me out. This thread is pretty awesome with all the help everyone gives so thanks for any responses in advance!

Did you ever figure out the answer to your second question lol? I'm in the same boat

NoyBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever figure out the answer to your second question lol? I'm in the same boat
I didn't. I've seen a lot of people doing it, I saw the connectors on Amazon that connect to the rear speakers for Honda vehicles, and I jumped on that to try to connect it. I haven't gone around to connecting it yet (it's cold outside). I'm going to try it sometime though and see how it goes. Hopefully the bass isn't terrible.

If anyone else wants to chime in with their experience, that'd be great!

Raymond

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Just installed an under-seat subwoofer today. I wouldn’t even have thought of installing one if it wasn’t for this thread. Thanks for the instructions, guys.
Sponsored