Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Can't say I'm not disappointed that the Type R won't be in the US next year.

The Honda Civic Type R is finally coming to the U.S. But not for a couple years, sadly.

AutoGuide had a roundtable with American Honda Motor Co. Executive Vice President John Mendel where he said that the Civic Type R won’t be a 2016 model. Instead, it’s more likely to be 2017 or even a 2018 model year car, meaning it’s at least two years out.

That’s a bummer, but it’s not surprising. The next Civic will be an all-new global Civic, made and sold all over the world. The turbocharged Type R specifically will be built in England and imported here.

Mendel said that will undoubtedly affect the price of the Type R, but he hopes to sell at least a few thousand a month. Considering the Type R’s fairly limited appeal, that’s probably about the best they can do, but we’re extremely happy to be getting it at all.

Mendel did say that before the Type R launches, the all-new normal Civic will debut later this year with a new 1.5-liter turbo VTEC engine. He says it’s lighter and sportier, marking a return to the fun-to-drive Civics of the past:

“I just read the articles in magazines you guys write that say we’ve lost our way; we’ve lost our sportiness,” he said. “I don’t think we were as sporty in this last generation as we once were.”

In response to demand, Mendel says Honda is, “taking the Civic back in a direction more towards where it started.”

“It’s what you guys have been asking for,” he said.

Article: http://jalopnik.com/gonna-be-a-while-before-the-honda-civic-type-r-gets-to-1696289467
Sponsored

Last edited:

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
I never buy first year model anyway. This will give em a chance to work out any kinks in the rest of the world first.

Moichi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit & CR-V
Country flag
I never buy first year model anyway. This will give em a chance to work out any kinks in the rest of the world first.
Does this mean that just the US won't get it for a couple of years, or the entire world? Couldn't tell from the article.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
I think they are talking about the US only. What's surprising is they are expecting to sell at least a few thousand a month. That's actually decent numbers.

Whoosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I think they are talking about the US only. What's surprising is they are expecting to sell at least a few thousand a month. That's actually decent numbers.
Missed that part. I'm surprised by that figure. It's not a cheap car. But I guess it has such a great reputation and the performance to back it up.

I wouldn't be buying for a few years anyway so doesn't affect me but I was hoping to start seeing it on our roads. First time that happens I'm gonna flip out!

Guzmannn

Threads
Reaction score
Nooooo soooo close yet so far! Guess we'll have to live vicariously through other country's owners for a while. I know I'll end up watching every review on youtube, multiple times :)

Golf6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK6 Golf
Another good bit from that interview is Mendel said the the U.S. spec Type R will basically be the same as the European one, so no major differences and that should mean no watered down or bastardized U.S. version like we always get.

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
Another good bit from that interview is Mendel said the the U.S. spec Type R will basically be the same as the European one, so no major differences and that should mean no watered down or bastardized U.S. version like we always get.
That's awesome news. That would have been the ultimate smack in the face if after all these years we finally get the Type-R but a nerfed version of it. I was so disappointed when it happened back in the day with the E36 M3 and was never able to respect the US version much whenever I saw one. Almost seemed like an imposter/poser version.

Golf6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK6 Golf
Just happy we're getting the Type R at all even if it means later than the rest of the world. Too many great cars have never made it here because of homologation issues. The pre-R35 Nissan GT-R and the Civic Type R are too of the biggest examples.

Samir

Threads
Reaction score
Just happy we're getting the Type R at all even if it means later than the rest of the world. Too many great cars have never made it here because of homologation issues. The pre-R35 Nissan GT-R and the Civic Type R are too of the biggest examples.
Agreed. And now both will be available here once the Type-R hits our market.

Never understood how these sports cars were kept out of the US considering we're the largest market for sports cars in the world. Makes no sense.

s2ker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000
Agreed. And now both will be available here once the Type-R hits our market.

Never understood how these sports cars were kept out of the US considering we're the largest market for sports cars in the world. Makes no sense.
Bean counters at work. They probably have projections and modeling for how many of each high performance model could sell in each market and decided that for those cars the costs of homologating the cars for the US market wasn't worth it considering how many they projected they could sell here.

Uncle Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Bean counters at work. They probably have projections and modeling for how many of each high performance model could sell in each market and decided that for those cars the costs of homologating the cars for the US market wasn't worth it considering how many they projected they could sell here.
They do have a point tho. The fact that hot hatches are less popular than boring sedans says a lot about the market. Unfortunately most of the country apparently can't spot a good thing, they are to blame for us not getting a lot of the exciting cars in Europe.

Samir

Threads
Reaction score
They do have a point tho. The fact that hot hatches are less popular than boring sedans says a lot about the market. Unfortunately most of the country apparently can't spot a good thing, they are to blame for us not getting a lot of the exciting cars in Europe.
Yea but do they actually sell a larger ratio of the exciting versions of a car vs. the boring versions in the other countries that get the exciting cars? Not rhetorical, I don't know the answer.

Uncle Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Yea but do they actually sell a larger ratio of the exciting versions of a car vs. the boring versions in the other countries that get the exciting cars? Not rhetorical, I don't know the answer.
I'm sure they dont but at least there is enough volume apparently for the companies to offer them while the domestic brands here pump out the same boring cars or import watered down versions compared to the European/Asian counterparts. Even the domestic companies know this... It took Ford how many years to bring the Focus RS here? and it don't get more American than Ford.
Sponsored