OP
OP
ethanmhanks

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Ram 1500, 1975 Corvette.
Vehicle Showcase
View attachment 28550
I'm not familiar with NightShade spray; looked it up and now I'm intrigued. Does it have properties more similar to PlastiDip or spray paint? Just wanna make sure I mask correctly if I attempt this. Also, how many coats did you do? And last: how much was your tint? Both percentage and cost? (For respective window/taillight/back markers) I'm a student and cost is a major factor for me. I got my civic a month ago and I love it to death cuz it's my first car of MY own.
The NightShade spray is made specifically for lights on vehicles, it is made to be transparent and let light through while still having a blackout look. I did about 4 coats because I wanted it pretty dark. It still lets light through though so I think it was just right. I did not mask anything off when I did this. I popped the side marker lights out and unplugged the lights, which took me about 5 minutes on each side to get them out. I then taped off the hole where the light goes in(So none got inside the light), put them facing up on some cardboard and sprayed them. Make sure to spray the orange sides as well, looks much better this way.

As for the taillights I am not sure what % of tint was used. He has a different material than window tint that he uses and it looks great. He gave me a package deal on the windows, taillights, adding a sunstrip and also vinyl wrapping the chrome around the doors for $300. I would say the taillights cost about $70 of that. He also did my truck(Picture attached) but did them much darker. Which is what I asked for. For the truck the taillights were $60 but they are a much more simple design.
Honda Civic 10th gen Project Blackout. RAMH
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Mike_Le

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
View attachment 28550
The NightShade spray is made specifically for lights on vehicles, it is made to be transparent and let light through while still having a blackout look. I did about 4 coats because I wanted it pretty dark. It still lets light through though so I think it was just right. I did not mask anything off when I did this. I popped the side marker lights out and unplugged the lights, which took me about 5 minutes on each side to get them out. I then taped off the hole where the light goes in(So none got inside the light), put them facing up on some cardboard and sprayed them. Make sure to spray the orange sides as well, looks much better this way.

As for the taillights I am not sure what % of tint was used. He has a different material than window tint that he uses and it looks great. He gave me a package deal on the windows, taillights, adding a sunstrip and also vinyl wrapping the chrome around the doors for $300. I would say the taillights cost about $70 of that. He also did my truck(Picture attached) but did them much darker. Which is what I asked for. For the truck the taillights were $60 but they are a much more simple design.
RAMH.jpg
Thanks for all the info! I'll be getting mine all tinted within a months time. And btw that truck looks sick!! My buddy back in Texas just got an 07 Duramax and it has the same white/black theme.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
ethanmhanks

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the info! I'll be getting mine all tinted within a months time. And btw that truck looks sick!! My buddy back in Texas just got an 07 Duramax and it has the same white/black theme.:thumbsup:
Yeah no problem! And thank you! Apparently my girlfriend liked the color scheme too much and that is why we went for a white Civic this time haha. Oh well, looks good in the driveway next to each other.

OP
OP
ethanmhanks

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update for you all! I ordered the gloss black grille and the Sirimoto(I think that is how to spell it) strut brace. I was going to step up and buy the Ultra Racing strut brace along with the trunk brace, but the shipping was about $45 so I decided to go this route. I will be painting the brace white to match the car. I also put on these little rain deflectors on the rear view mirrors(Pic attached). I thought for $5 this was a fun touch to the car. I also have a roof spoiler waiting for paint. I will be updating as I go! And this car will be getting more attention than the original car this thread was made for. Still a blackout thread, just on white.
Honda Civic 10th gen Project Blackout. hondarain3
Honda Civic 10th gen Project Blackout. honda2
Honda Civic 10th gen Project Blackout. hondarain1

OP
OP
ethanmhanks

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered Flashpro and Eibach Sportline lowering springs as well. This car will be looking sharp soon and a ton of fun!

Mike_Le

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
This is what I did to my car, the handles can be done with plastidip or vinyl. I have done both I would suggest vinyl though since if you don't get good amount on the inside of the handle the plasti dip rubs off after many uses do to the edges. The grill, window trim and badges can be plastidipped.

IMG_3502.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3522.JPG
This guy did the white/black like you're trying to do and I think it turned out great. :thumbsup: Looks damn sick.

OP
OP
ethanmhanks

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Flashpro is here. But, Honda broke some clips in my trunk when putting my black badge on. So I am in a loaner. Soon! I will let
Honda Civic 10th gen Project Blackout. 20170301_193643
you know how it is when I install it.

OP
OP
ethanmhanks

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looking good so far! I have a black EX hatch that I got recently that I will be blacking out. Mind if I share my progress as I go as well?
I don't mind! This could be a good thread with good ideas!

OP
OP
ethanmhanks

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, my laptop will not stay on. So I am going to have to borrow one from a friend to put on the Flashpro :( BUT, soon it will be on. My Sportlines should be here today as well and I will be getting those on ASAP.

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Looking to do something different with the rear end.
This is a crude markup but my vinyl guy has matched the lunar silver and can wrap what I want.
Thoughts
Honda Civic 10th gen Project Blackout. upload_2017-3-9_11-0-58

OP
OP
ethanmhanks

ethanmhanks

Project Blackout
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to do something different with the rear end.
This is a crude markup but my vinyl guy has matched the lunar silver and can wrap what I want.
Thoughts
upload_2017-3-9_11-0-58.png
It reminds me of the earlier Civic models. I like the shape of the taillights from factory but this would definitely set you apart from the rest. My vinyl guy had a VERY hard time getting the film to stick on the taillights. There is a little lip near the top of the lights that make it pretty tough to stick on and form the light. Then again he used tint on my lights so maybe the material is different.

chrisliese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic exl-t, 2002 Honda s2000 turbo, 2016 Honda Odyssey
It reminds me of the earlier Civic models. I like the shape of the taillights from factory but this would definitely set you apart from the rest. My vinyl guy had a VERY hard time getting the film to stick on the taillights. There is a little lip near the top of the lights that make it pretty tough to stick on and form the light. Then again he used tint on my lights so maybe the material is different.
Good to know. I have done wrap myself, but when I looked at these angles I went to a pro. He seems confident, they wrap a lot of commercial vehicles as well.
Just some much red back there, and I hate that the DOT has made the taillight wrap around the back ends of cars now. Looks like crap.
I almost got the car in black just so I could blackout the taillights easily.
Sponsored