Jorge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 scion tc
I can understand the desire for an auto in the si and admit that Auto's have, in many aspects surpassed manual transmissions but there's something about driving a manual that just puts you in the zone! I personally would purchase a manual but I was wondering, how much more would it cost to have an auto si? It's already a tough sell considering how competitive the market has become
Sponsored

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
There will come a day when you can't get any of these cars in a traditional manual gearbox. Not only is it becoming harder to justify for sports cars but fewer people are learning how to drive one. Sad but "manual" is going the way of paddles which takes as much skill to drive as a pure automatic.

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
"Yes, I'd like this car retrofitted please...some folks at home who don't drive as well like it a bit too much..."

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
There will come a day when you can't get any of these cars in a traditional manual gearbox. Not only is it becoming harder to justify for sports cars but fewer people are learning how to drive one. Sad but "manual" is going the way of paddles which takes as much skill to drive as a pure automatic.
Wish there was something in between like a hybrid manual-auto. I remember reading bout a BMW patent a couple years ago about a shift-by-wire manual transmission. Took some searching but found it again -- http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701345. Something like this might be more engaging than just driving standard auto but also not as tedious for sitting in traffic.

BMW also sees a potential second application for this technology in the form of shift by wire. Think of it as a manual transmission without a clutch pedal - a mix of the traditional manual gear shift lever with the automated SMG transmission. When a driver attempts to move the shifter into a gear, the system first calculates if it's a good idea to go into that gear. If it is not, the shift gate for that gear is blocked as described above. If however, the system deems the desired shift OK, the clutch is disengaged automatically, the desired gear engaged, and then (and only then) can the shifter be maneuvered into the particular shift gate by the driver. All this is performed in less than a second. Additionally, the engaged gear number will be illuminated on the shifter's shift pattern

Viet_Racer

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic EM1
Country flag
Wish there was something in between like a hybrid manual-auto. I remember reading bout a BMW patent a couple years ago about a shift-by-wire manual transmission. Took some searching but found it again -- http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701345. Something like this might be more engaging than just driving standard auto but also not as tedious for sitting in traffic.

BMW also sees a potential second application for this technology in the form of shift by wire. Think of it as a manual transmission without a clutch pedal - a mix of the traditional manual gear shift lever with the automated SMG transmission. When a driver attempts to move the shifter into a gear, the system first calculates if it's a good idea to go into that gear. If it is not, the shift gate for that gear is blocked as described above. If however, the system deems the desired shift OK, the clutch is disengaged automatically, the desired gear engaged, and then (and only then) can the shifter be maneuvered into the particular shift gate by the driver. All this is performed in less than a second. Additionally, the engaged gear number will be illuminated on the shifter's shift pattern
Interesting idea but that would still be missing the extra point of contact that driving stick gives you - having your feet and leg control the clutch/flywheel. A lot of the extra feel and control that you get from controlling exactly how the transmission and gears engages would be gone. For me driving an auto (or even DCT) feels like a disengaged experience because it lacks this level of input and control that stepping on a clutch gives you.

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
Not anytime soon. Pure drivers cars will always have the option. IMO you will see whole niche halo models wiped out before you see the day that no sports car is offered with a traditional manual. As it stands now some of the hardcore/hipo trims for various cars still only come in manual -- Si/Type R Civic being only one example. The muscle cars are like that too (I'm thinking GT350 which is still manual only for this generation).

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Just noticed the heated rear seats. Great that they're giving the sedan more amenities but new comfort options almost always makes the weight go up :(

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
As long as they leave it out of the rear coupe seats I'm good. Heated rear seats is really a luxury that I can't imagine needing very often. Even when I lived in the NE, never thought to myself it's a missing feature in any car I've had. Just extra cost and heft.

asiandeity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic SI, 2017 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe the heated rear seats will only be available on the touring model.

Shortbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Fit Blue Sensation
I can understand the desire for an auto in the si and admit that Auto's have, in many aspects surpassed manual transmissions but there's something about driving a manual that just puts you in the zone! I personally would purchase a manual but I was wondering, how much more would it cost to have an auto si? It's already a tough sell considering how competitive the market has become
It costs $800 in the current coupe to option it with CVT transmission so that's probably about what it'd cost on the Si for that option.