Whining Sound Coming from fan

DrJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe
This issue may have been covered on a previous thread but I'm giving it a shot. I have had my Civic Coupe for almost three months. Whenever the heater/ defroster is on, (haven't had the AC on yet) I get a whine that seems to be coming from the fan... but only when I am braking and coming to a stop. I don't hear it on acceleration, as I would have expected if it was the fan revving up.
Anyone else have this sound?
Is it normal or possibly an indication that the fan is not functioning properly.
Thanks for any input.
Sponsored

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
This issue may have been covered on a previous thread but I'm giving it a shot. I have had my Civic Coupe for almost three months. Whenever the heater/ defroster is on, (haven't had the AC on yet) I get a whine that seems to be coming from the fan... but only when I am braking and coming to a stop. I don't hear it on acceleration, as I would have expected if it was the fan revving up.
Is it normal or possibly an indication that the fan is not functioning properly.
Thanks for any input.
No weird noises from mine.. However i do recall threads on the subject.. Try using the search and see if you come across something

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Are you sure it's not that the fan sound is masked by engine noise during acceleration, and you only hear it when slowing down because there's no load on the engine?

There's a bit of compressor whine in my car at times but as long as cold is cold and hot is hot, I'm not too worried about it.

lebshiff21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatch
I hear it w/ the climate control on and it goes away when I have it off. Pretty sure it's a fan.

Farah487

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar sound with mines but is present when I turn on the heat.

yyzcbphatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini CS
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, same here i get that weird compressor/whining sound when coming to a stop.

Is it normal? But when the fan is off, i don't hear it.

Mine is a Hatch.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Yes, same here i get that weird compressor/whining sound when coming to a stop.

Is it normal? But when the fan is off, i don't hear it.

Mine is a Hatch.
Oh wait i remember the thread on this.. Its due to the mew super high efficiency condeser.. All new technology

civiclx17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LX CIVIC
Oh wait i remember the thread on this.. Its due to the mew super high efficiency condeser.. All new technology
Hate to get a old thread up again, but was that the issue and is it normal

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Thanks for any input.
What you're hearing is the cooling fan mounted near the radiator and condensor. Unlike most vehicles that have relay-controlled, single or dual-speed cooling fans, the Civic has a single fan with a three-phase motor powered by a variable frequency drive. The high switching frequencies used in VFDs can result in turbine-like harmonics when the fan changes speeds. Under normal conditions, it would be a waste of energy for the cooling fan to run when the vehicle is moving since there is plenty of air flow to keep things cool, so the fan turns off or slows down. When you slow down and come to a stop, the cooling fan turns on or speeds up.

The cooling fan runs at slow speed whenever the A/C compressor is engaged. Unlike vehicles with cycling A/C compressors that turn on and off to maintain the correct evaporator temperature, the Civic uses a variable-displacement A/C compressor that runs all the time. Instead of cycling off and on, it continuously varies its capacity based on cooling demand.

Reactions: jks

MarcOTT

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odyssey - Civic - CRV
Country flag
What you're hearing is the cooling fan mounted near the radiator and condensor. Unlike most vehicles that have relay-controlled, single or dual-speed cooling fans, the Civic has a single fan with a three-phase motor powered by a variable frequency drive. The high switching frequencies used in VFDs can result in turbine-like harmonics when the fan changes speeds. Under normal conditions, it would be a waste of energy for the cooling fan to run when the vehicle is moving since there is plenty of air flow to keep things cool, so the fan turns off or slows down. When you slow down and come to a stop, the cooling fan turns on or speeds up.

The cooling fan runs at slow speed whenever the A/C compressor is engaged. Unlike vehicles with cycling A/C compressors that turn on and off to maintain the correct evaporator temperature, the Civic uses a variable-displacement A/C compressor that runs all the time. Instead of cycling off and on, it continuously varies its capacity based on cooling demand.

A Ha, so that is the turbine like whine I hear when I accelerate or stop. Should this radiator fan work without A/C operating, i.e., cooling cabin or defrosting windshield ?
Sponsored