Sponsored

Last edited:

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
I purchased my Civic a few weeks ago and have been keeping it garaged when I'm home but want to get some paint protection on it as soon as possible. I've waxed cars before but doubt I have ever really done it the "right" way.

My plan is to wash, clay, and then apply the sealant. Is that okay? With a new car, would there be any existing wax or sealant that would need to be stripped from the vehicle prior to my application? How can I tell? Water beads on the surface now but when I drag my finger over the clean surface after washing it "squeaks". I would rather not take any extra steps that could potentially harm the finish if I don't have to (I'm accident prone).
Blue Dawn dish soap is all you need. Some will also recommend a diluted alcohol wipe down.
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/ask-a-pro-the-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-wipedown/

OP
OP

Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag

Last edited:

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Is there any possibility of harm to the paint or trim with Dawn? I'm hesitant of doing an IPA wipedown... is it necessary to do either if there is no wax or sealant already on the car?
Pretty sure all cars at the dealers have wax on them. To make the shiny effect, why do you think all cars at the dealer look so nice?

Dinzdale40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport, 2004 WRX STi, 1998 Honda Accord 4dr, 1990 Honda Civic Hatch DX
Country flag
I usually just use a cleaner polish that is made for a sealant prep. This way you get a little bit of stain and swirls removal. I apply it with a porter cable so if you don't have one of those you won't be able to remove swirls. I got the car with 14 miles on it at the dealer and there were a few spots on the roof that came out easily. My favorite is Klasse AIO.

I'm not saying it will help the sealant last longer but I'd recommend reapplying more often vs depending on 4 month old sealant that's been exposed to the elements.

goodra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T sedan
Country flag
Even if there was preexisting wax, it would come off after your clay barring. Just give it a good polish after the clay bar and you are set for the sealant. Make sure to follow the directions for your particular sealant.

Kasai808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I highly recommend a citrus based ph balanced auto wash. I use Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss when I want to strip off all my wax/sealant before I re-clay. It strips off everything really well and leaves the paint product free for claying.

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you have to strip the wax in order to apply a new layer of wax? I'm looking to clay, seal, and wax my vehicle soon as well!

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Do you have to strip the wax in order to apply a new layer of wax? I'm looking to clay, seal, and wax my vehicle soon as well!
It's reccomend as the new layer of wax can stick to the car better. Usually the steps are wash, clay, ipa wipedown, sealant(wait 12 hours to cure), wax. I wouldn't put wax on it though as it's the same as sealant, no harm though just waste of time imo.

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It's reccomend as the new layer of wax can stick to the car better. Usually the steps are wash, clay, ipa wipedown, sealant(wait 12 hours to cure), wax. I wouldn't put wax on it though as it's the same as sealant, no harm though just waste of time imo.
So if I claybar does that take of the wax as well?

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
Pretty sure all cars at the dealers have wax on them. To make the shiny effect, why do you think all cars at the dealer look so nice?
I'm not sure about this -- mine had sealant.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
So if I claybar does that take of the wax as well?
Some people say it does, most say it is not. In my opinion i say it might take some but not all of it. A ipa wipe down(50% alcohol and 50% distilled water) will 100% take off all the old wax though.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
I'm not sure about this -- mine had sealant.
Sealant and wax are basically the same thing. Does exactly the same job only difference is, sealants(6 months) last longer compared to wax(1 month).
Coatings last the longest of all of them though.(usually 2 years)

Ryude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
If you clay properly, it will take 100% of whatever is on top of the clear coat.

paid2play

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Honda Hatchback Sport
Wash with dawn. Quick clay. Ready for wax. Easy.
Sponsored