Center console armrest too low

Dougyfd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ex-l
Country flag
Am I the only one who thinks the center armrest is about 1 1/2 " low compared to most other cars. Also if you're going to make the mistake of not having a knob for the audio volume , have the control in the steering wheel closer to the left side so that you can adjust it without releasing your grip on the wheel. Two minor complaints on an otherwise we'll thought out vehicle. The Honda ergonomics team was off their game a little that day.
Sponsored

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Low? Highest center console I've ever had.. and I don't know how short your thumbs are, but I have small hands and I do not have to release my grip on the wheel? :hmm:

OP
OP

Dougyfd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ex-l
Country flag
Low? Highest center console I've ever had.. and I don't know how short your thumbs are, but I have small hands and I do not have to release my grip on the wheel? :hmm:
I don't know what you're comparing it to but I rent cars often and just about every car I've rented has had a higher armrest. As for the volume control , perhaps I misspoke. I should have said that you need to stretch out your left thumb too far to the right to reach the switch. Since it's probably the most often used control it would have been more convenient to have it where the phone icon is.

Last edited:

pincusterp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX
100% agree about the armrest. It's way too low. I've had my 17 hatch ex for 2 months and love it. But the armrest drives me nuts.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The armrest thing IMO is subjective. I'm 5'6", have the seat jacked nearly as high as it'll go and its in a pretty decent position. Taller? Yeah I'd bet it's a tad short, but its part of the whole cockpit feel. But...for what its worth, lots of people think everything inside is too low - dash, seats, etc.

The steering wheel volume controls are just a muscle memory thing, its not a huge deal. My hands are smaller and I'm fine.

tpman24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX 6MT
The height is fine for me, but I also have the seat lowered as much as possible. I could see it possibly being annoying if that wasn't the case.

Roombo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T w/ HS
Country flag
Am I the only one who thinks the center armrest is about 1 1/2 " low compared to most other cars. Also if you're going to make the mistake of not having a knob for the audio volume , have the control in the steering wheel closer to the left side so that you can adjust it without releasing your grip on the wheel. Two minor complaints on an otherwise we'll thought out vehicle. The Honda ergonomics team was off their game a little that day.
Yes, too low. I like to hold the shifter when I drive for down shifting. No issues with volume control. I do notice a blind spot over my right that bothers me. Also the camera's suck compared to my 2014 civic, major downgrade.

Civic Fan 2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic, 2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I drive with both hands on the wheel so my arm barely even brushes the arm rest. I have the same issue on nearly all other cars I've driven. I am 5'5".

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Really? The camera quality is below that of a 2014 civic?

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Really? The camera quality is below that of a 2014 civic?
Yes it seems like Honda went with cheaper cameras in the new Civic. My 2015 Honda Fit had much better Lane Watch and backup cameras. Better resolution, better frames-per-second performance, better low-light visibility.

I disagree about the armrest, though. I think it is just fine. Again, coming from a Fit, which had a practically non-existent center armrest.

Stealth25k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic ex
The product "elbow friend" saved me from constant back back because my right elbow would always be in the air. Im a 5'7 male.

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Is there anyway to make the arm rest a tad bit higher? Haha, it's way too low

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Perfect height 6ft tall

Tonysil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm close to 6 feet and I think it's just right. It's so much better than the 2016 Accord setup.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Is there anyway to make the arm rest a tad bit higher? Haha, it's way too low
6ft 1in and its perfect for me.. Only suggestion is to drop your seat more with the forward lever on the side..

Can you make it higher... Of course you can.. Take it apart and diy it.. 3d print some parts and show us the results
Sponsored