Civic Type R to get CVT option (Update: Debunked)

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: Sage Marie, ‎Senior Manager, Automobile Public Relations at Honda, has confirmed that the Civic Type R will NOT have a CVT and only be offered in a 6 speed manual.

Per: http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1302343

The article was misleading and I got it wrong. Sorry everyone. -BC3K :doh::banghead:

Original post:

May have been reported elsewhere, but the November edition of Carmagazine.co.uk has a nice spread on the CTR.

The article interviews the head engineer Mirsuru Kariya, the lead designer Tsutamori, and Honda Europe head honcho Katsushi Inoue, so these are indeed folks who know what they are talking about.

Specs they discuss:
  • LSD up front
  • Significantly lower CG compared to the standard Civic
  • FWD only
  • 6 speed MT standard, No DCT option
And most surprising:
  • An Option for a CVT that's optimized for low-end acceleration.

The article doesn't appear to be on the free side of the website, but in print the CVT comments are on page 67.:D
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
It's possible since that engine is going into some Honda/Acura vehicles.

A DCT would have been a better option imo

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
I'll save the extra 1-2000 dollars and hundred or so pounds of extra weight.

But good for some people I guess

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Theres a reason F1 banned CVT transmissions. A few years ago, I despised CVT. I wouldn't mind one now that the tech has advanced a bit.

We will see what happens with it...

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Theres a reason F1 banned CVT transmissions. A few years ago, I despised CVT. I wouldn't mind one now that the tech has advanced a bit.

We will see what happens with it...
I agree, there are a number of cars Where the automatic versions are quicker. Honda may be using a CVT to gain a tiny edge in performance by sacrificing the "fun" of a MT.

Again, it's all about the numbers for me, I don't have any special attachment to a MT.

habibmustafa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Given an option for a different transmission, I wonder if it means the CTR won't be such a limited model afterall...

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
A CVT on a Type R? As a mechanical engineer I understand the benefits, but the Type R is supposed to be engaging to drive. How would a CVT not just take away from the experience completely? I'm sure they've come a long way from the CVT in something like an Lexus RX400h, which was a rubber-bandy nightmare trip to yawnville, but I don't get it. I'll lose a few tenths in a drag race to get the enjoyment of rowing my own gears... particularly given that the current Type R has one of the finest transmissions in all of automobile-dom. If it were a dual-clutch or something at least cool, I would reluctantly understand (but still be pissed), but a CVT?? No thanks. :)

mc1200s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 ext
Country flag
A CVT on a Type R? As a mechanical engineer I understand the benefits, but the Type R is supposed to be engaging to drive. How would a CVT not just take away from the experience completely? I'm sure they've come a long way from the CVT in something like an Lexus RX400h, which was a rubber-bandy nightmare trip to yawnville, but I don't get it. I'll lose a few tenths in a drag race to get the enjoyment of rowing my own gears... particularly given that the current Type R has one of the finest transmissions in all of automobile-dom. If it were a dual-clutch or something at least cool, I would reluctantly understand (but still be pissed), but a CVT?? No thanks. :)
I believe the CTR is just supposed to produce lap times as fast as possible.

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the article, they claim to have eliminated the "metal thrashing" of the CVT. If it has paddle shifters it may be indistinguishable from a DCT.

BTW, a CVT option explains why this prototype clearly has the Touring's automated systems. It caused some confusion since that system can't work with a MT.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R to get CVT option (Update: Debunked) IMG_8062.JPG

hollis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL 3rd Gen
Country flag
The only Honda sensing feature that does not work with Manuals is the low speed ACC. Checkout Canada's Honda website, they are offering Sport Touring hatchback with manuals and honda sensing (minus the low speed acc). Honda is just choosing not to offer similar configuration in US.

OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only Honda sensing feature that does not work with Manuals is the low speed ACC. Checkout Canada's Honda website, they are offering Sport Touring hatchback with manuals and honda sensing (minus the low speed acc). Honda is just choosing not to offer similar configuration in US.
Yes, but clearly this prototype has the full package. We've seen several configurations in the prototypes, both with and without LED headlights, and this one that had the ACC and LKAS sensors, which I believe is the only one we've seen so far that does.

In the original thread where this picture was posted, there was much discussion about why it has the ACC radar IF it has a MT. Now we know that this is likely the CVT prototype.
Sponsored