My radio/display is broken already? (No sound issue for civic touring)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
toyman70, did the replacement you got a few weeks ago help?
Sponsored

Schmivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2002 Mercedes-Benz C320
Bad news. Now my head unit completely does not turn on. I'll take a picture and post once I get to my laptop.

acarsme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Civic EX Coup
...wow, I'm probably out of the market for this car now. Seems like not enough quality control checking at Honda before they released this car out. I was skeptical of buying a 1st year re-design, and now I am understanding why. If they can't get something like the radio system to work, makes me wonder what other stuff that's more critical might be wrong as well. Truly discouraged by all of this. I had been raving over this car for months.....I wasn't even considering another car because this one was going to blow everything else in the price range out of the water. sigh
Bad news. Now my head unit completely does not turn on. I'll take a picture and post once I get to my laptop.

toyman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 element, 2016 civic touring
Country flag
toyman70, did the replacement you got a few weeks ago help?
they said they are replacing the amp. its on order should be this week. hopefully it is the answer. I will let everyone know after it gets swapped

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
If they can't get something like the radio system to work, makes me wonder what other stuff that's more critical might be wrong as well.
Sadly, this is pretty typical for auto infotainment system software these days. Not sure, though, that you should infer the tougher/more critical stuff is being released equally bug-ridden. The fact that the radio "is just a radio" seems to make them more likely, these days, to be the flakiest part of many new cars, to the point where it's the leading source of reliability complaints. This has been widely reported in the media. I'm not defending it, just trying to put it in perspective as an improper lens to use to view the rest of the car.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Sadly, this is pretty typical for auto infotainment system software these days. Not sure, though, that you should infer the tougher/more critical stuff is being released equally bug-ridden. The fact that the radio "is just a radio" seems to make them more likely, these days, to be the flakiest part of many new cars, to the point where it's the leading source of reliability complaints. This has been widely reported in the media. I'm not defending it, just trying to put it in perspective as an improper lens to use to view the rest of the car.
Your music dropping out isn't going to get them slapped with a class action law suit and bad press over deaths.

Japanese companies in particular are very slow to change how they do business and despite being the producers of advanced technology are not early adopters en masse. Flip phones aren't entirely uncommon in Japan still.
It's going to take them a while to get their minds around how quickly customer expectations have risen on this front.

They need a 3rd party partner on this front. They don't have the correct talent pool in house.

Schmivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2002 Mercedes-Benz C320
So this is what happened. As I said, the head unit display completely did not turn on. This actually occurred when I started the engine after having my car valet'd. After driving to a nearby gas station and turning my engine on and off, the headunit lit up again, and there was audio output.

Today, I went to the dealership, and they performed a "master factory reset." So far so good, they said if it happened again, they'll look into replacing the amp/headunit. Hopefully the "master factory reset," is all what the car needed. According to the technician, this has happened before with other newer Hondas, and all they needed were this "reset." Process took about 30 minutes. I felt like they felt the need to expedite the process/procedure because I barely bought the car 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

brucebrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4
Just called HONDA USA. They have no update. Frustrating. I don't think the AMP is the solution. Are there any TOURING models NOT having this issue?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
So this is what happened. As I said, the head unit display completely did not turn on. This actually occurred when I started the engine after having my car valet'd. After driving to a nearby gas station and turning my engine on and off, the headunit lit up again, and there was audio output.

Today, I went to the dealership, and they performed a "master factory reset." So far so good, they said if it happened again, they'll look into replacing the amp/headunit. Hopefully the "master factory reset," is all what the car needed. According to the technician, this has happened before with other newer Hondas, and all they needed were this "reset." Process took about 30 minutes. I felt like they felt the need to expedite the process/procedure because I barely bought the car 2 weeks ago.
I have been going around with my dealer for this since I bought mine a couple of weeks ago too. They gave me a $300 voucher for accessories but that's all. Please post back and verify that the "master factory reset" keeps the problem away so we can all go and get that done. This is really frustrating.

berns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I've been having the same audio issues as well. Brought home the new 2016 Civic Touring Nov 30th and started experiencing the no audio problems 2 days later. More than 50% of the time, the first engine start of the day, I'm left with no audio. After 10 mins of having the car off, the audio will work again. Very annoying. I've let my Honda dealership know and they said mine is the first of the Tourings that has this problem, no other complaints have come in.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted their experiences and suggested remedies! Taking the car into the dealer today, might ask them to do that master factory reset that Schmivic did. Also wondering if it's the amp

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I've let my Honda dealership know and they said mine is the first of the Tourings that has this problem, no other complaints have come in.
At this point, you have to wonder how many Tourings they've sold…

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are there any TOURING models NOT having this issue?
Not to jinx things, but ours has been fine except for the subwoofer rattle. Then again, it's only been driving a week since we bought it 3 weeks ago since we hadn't sold the old car and then went on vacation. Also my wife is the primary driver and doesn't mess with the radio much, just FM and Pandora.

berns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
At my dealership I was told they've sold 3 tourings including mine, and mine's got the audio issue. Showed them video of it not working and they were stumped. Having the new touring serviced tomorrow, maybe they'll find something :/

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had a Touring all of 2 days. No audio issues yet. But this thread has me worried and I will be keeping a close eye on it.

TDOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WOP Touring Sedan
Had my Touring since Saturday no audio issues to report (Android phone but have not tried AA yet)
Sponsored