Electronic Parking Brakes

42x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JHMCB7, XTHG Civic EX-T
Country flag
Does it bother you? How long did it take for you to adjust a button instead of a lever?

I actually love the sound of pulling up the lever and I'm afraid I will miss it.
Sponsored

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
Very little adjustment time. We were all used to the lever, but it took up so much space -- a mechanical holdover, a living fossil. I always use my parking brake, that way I never forget it when I really need it. Love that it turns itself off. Who hasn't started to move with the old-type brake still on? For 42x, Honda will play the old parking-brake sound through the speakers.

Interesting that Honda kept the Up-On, Down-Off, rather than a press-to-toggle (like Econ and all the other buttons). Easier to conceptualize with it working like the lever.

What about having an option that the parking brake goes on whenever you are in Park? Or even have that as the default.

Last edited:

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I actually like the space that it saves. Not a fan of bringing it to Honda to eventually get the pads replaced but that's the trade-off.

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Si and 2016 Civic LX Coupe (6spd)
Vehicle Showcase
Brake
Definition:
a restraint used to slow or stop a vehicle
Examples:
The brakes didn't work so the car crashed. New legislation will put the brakes on spending.

VS.

Break
Definition:
terminate or shatter
Examples:
break a lucky streak; break a glass

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Frnkp: Thanks!! The sad thing is that I know grammar very well. That's what happens when you post at 5:30 a.m. :banghead: And the Owner's manual suggests a break-in period for new brakes.

Here's an original grammar question-puzzle:

We all know that quotation marks come in pairs --- well, not always.

1. (Easier) When do you find an opening quote mark without a matching closing mark?

2. (Harder) When do you find a closing quote mark without a matching opening mark?

Justification for inclusion here: ask your teenagers these on your next Civic trip. If they don't know (1), they're not reading enough; if they know (2), tell them to get a life.

Last edited:

Truckin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Honestly,
It didn't take me very long to adjust to the new setup. I am enjoying it throughly actually; I just hope it has the longevity that the old handle did.

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm probably one of the few that wants the handle back, probably because I'm so used to it at this point, been using a handle for e brake for 14 years now.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I'm probably one of the few that wants the handle back, probably because I'm so used to it at this point, been using a handle for e brake for 14 years now.
same here I would take the handle back in a heart beat. I thought electronic parking brake was cool, but hate how it operates. You need you foot on the brake pedal to release and such.

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
same here I would take the handle back in a heart beat. I thought electronic parking brake was cool, but hate how it operates. You need you foot on the brake pedal to release and such.
Actually, as long as you have your seatbelt on, you can just go without turning it off, but still, I do prefer my handle....

frnkp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Si and 2016 Civic LX Coupe (6spd)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure I'd anyone else has noticed but if you use the brake hold feature the e-brake engages automatically when you turn the motor off... I don't run brake hold all the time but when I do it's kind of a neat feature

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As I previously mentioned, I would prefer the parking brake came on whenever you put the car in Park (or have a setting to choose this). I never take the brake off because I buckle up before moving, so it turns off when the car moves. I have to check out what frnkp says because I usually do keep brake hold on.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
For many of us who drive a manual, using a parking brake is a must, and therefore, I would take back the hand brake in a heartbeat as well. We have a manual garage door, too. Every time I pull out of (or approach) the garage, I have to engage the parking brake, get out of the car, and close (open) the garage door. A hand brake takes only one second to engage and there is no mistaking whether it's engaged. The electronic one takes a few seconds because I always have to wait to make sure that it is on. Oh, the horror it would be to see my car rolling backwards soon after getting out of the car!

The only saving grace is that Honda made it intuitive. Like someone mentioned, it's up-down like the hand brake. When I drove the Chevy Impala, I absolutely hated that electronic brake due to the sideways switch. I never knew when it was engaged. Yes, electronic brake is easy to get used to, but there is something to be said about tactical benefits.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For many of us who drive a manual, using a parking brake is a must, and therefore, I would take back the hand brake in a heartbeat as well. We have a manual garage door, too. Every time I pull out of (or approach) the garage, I have to engage the parking brake, get out of the car, and close (open) the garage door. A hand brake takes only one second to engage and there is no mistaking whether it's engaged. The electronic one takes a few seconds because I always have to wait to make sure that it is on. Oh, the horror it would be to see my car rolling backwards soon after getting out of the car!
When I start up, I usually turn on (Lanekeep and) Brakehold. The latter could save you the need for the parking brake coming home. Of course it may depend on how steep your driveway is. ;)

However, your Honor, now that the parking brake is electronic, I renew my plea to have it come on whenever you're in Park (what would be the downside?).

All that said, automatic garage-door openers aren't near the top of the List of Good Inventions like the wheel, steak, and ice cream, but do they make the list.

Last edited:

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
Good point. Never used Brake Hold before, but you might be right. I'll try it.

And, no kidding about the manual garage door. However, I have lived all my life without a garage and just thankful to have one at all. Never ever have to brush/scrape snow and ice off the car anymore in the morning! Oh, the things we appreciate when you have little to begin with.... :nixon:

Edit: I read the manual. The Brake Hold will cancel if the seat belt is unfastened. There is also a warning box that says never to leave the vehicle while the Brake Hold is operating. I have to continue to engage the parking brake to get out of the car to open/close the garage door. The gear is in neutral because the engine is still on.

Last edited:

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
I prefer the older e brake handle,but it only took about a week to get used to the new brake.

I do like not having the brake handle saves some space in the console area.
Sponsored