HELP: Washing Engine Bay

ryjanpugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (White Orchid Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys!

I don't really know much about cars, so I need some help.

Question 1: Can I wash my engine bay?

Question 2: If it is possible, which parts do I need to cover up and how do I do that? I posted a pic below so people can point out which parts I need to cover up. Thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen HELP: Washing Engine Bay 2liter-civic-
Sponsored

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys!

I don't really know much about cars, so I need some help.

Question 1: Can I wash my engine bay?

Question 2: If it is possible, which parts do I need to cover up and how do I do that? I posted a pic below so people can point out which parts I need to cover up. Thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen HELP: Washing Engine Bay 2liter-civic-
You'll probably get multiple answers on this... I think it's fine, I've done it on all my other cars.. all I do is cover the MAF sensor use McGuire super degreaser and garden hose water pressure, after wards I take a blower to it and finish it off with some spray dressing.

(And avoid getting water in the intake)

OP
OP
ryjanpugz

ryjanpugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll probably get multiple answers on this... I think it's fine, I've done it on all my other cars.. all I do is cover the MAF sensor use McGuire super degreaser and garden hose water pressure, after wards I take a blower to it and finish it off with some spray dressing.

(And avoid getting water in the intake)
Thanks for reply! Could you please point out which is the MAF sensor and the intake? Thanks! :)

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unnecessary IMO, I just wipe down all the plastic components/covers under the hood.

It's seem like you're asking for trouble. I wanted too and this is the answer I got.

I'll post a picture of my 1.5 year old Murano tomorrow.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Lol... Dont be afraid people... Worked at a bmw dealer for a few years.. We used to pop the hood.. Turn on the power washer with a rinse style tip and went at it after doing engine work... Trade ins... How do you think they get all the grease grime dirt sand off.. You betcha.. Power washer.. After cleaning let the engine run for 10 min so all the moisture vaporizes and bam clean engine...

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd keep the pressure washer off these areas. Alternator, Intake, and Fuse box. You can clean them with water and a rag, but avoid direct pressure washing imo. Also, don't do up close blasts to any electrical sockets. The waterproofing is only designed to handle non pressurized water contact.

Honda Civic 10th gen HELP: Washing Engine Bay Presentation1

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally, I cleaned the engine on all my cars, and have never had an issue despite not covering up any electrical items. I'm just careful in where I spray and never use a pressure washer, just a garden hose with one of those nozzles that have multiple spray patterns.

OP
OP
ryjanpugz

ryjanpugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd keep the pressure washer off these areas. Alternator, Intake, and Fuse box. You can clean them with water and a rag, but avoid direct pressure washing imo. Also, don't do up close blasts to any electrical sockets. The waterproofing is only designed to handle non pressurized water contact.

Presentation1.jpg
Thanks! I want my engine bay clean but I really don't want to mess anything up lol

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
You can use a Multipurpose cleaner to degrease and clean your engine compartment.

If you are going to spray it with water, be sure to cover the Intake & Fuse box with plastic bags before you do it.
Sponsored