Install American firmware on European head unit

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UKDM 2017 Civic Sport Plus Hatch (1.5T 6MT)
Country flag
Today I changed the Region of my Civic from Germany to Canada.
Reboot was no problem but I didn't get the settings I wanted.
There were no Remote Start and Keyless Access Beep settings under Keyless Access Setup.
But I had settings for HondaLink and other North American-exclusive features.
There must be another entry in the modelinf.xml.

Can anyone with a Non-European Civic share their version of modelinf.xml?
I need to compare the contents
I guess it's possible that features like remote start and keyless access settings are dictated by ECU/BCM firmware regions/versions rather than the HU firmware. Maybe try US region rather than Canada?
Sponsored

teletxt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK7 Sport EUDM
Country flag
Today I changed the Region of my Civic from Germany to Canada.
Reboot was no problem but I didn't get the settings I wanted.
There were no Remote Start and Keyless Access Beep settings under Keyless Access Setup.
But I had settings for HondaLink and other North American-exclusive features.
There must be another entry in the modelinf.xml.

Can anyone with a Non-European Civic share their version of modelinf.xml?
I need to compare the contents
I have an Eudm 2019 1.5T Sport and I do have Hondhack pro. How can I access to modelinf.xml?

OP
OP
felixlennart

felixlennart

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I have an Eudm 2019 1.5T Sport and I do have Hondhack pro. How can I access to modelinf.xml?
To access the file you can use the X-Plore app that comes with HondaHack. The file is located under /mnt/data1/com.mitsubishielectric.ada.appservice.unitinfomanager/GroupXYZ/NR-[...]/modelinf.xml
To edit the file you need to install a text editor app.

teletxt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FK7 Sport EUDM
Country flag
To access the file you can use the X-Plore app that comes with HondaHack. The file is located under /mnt/data1/com.mitsubishielectric.ada.appservice.unitinfomanager/GroupXYZ/NR-[...]/modelinf.xml
To edit the file you need to install a text editor app.
I found three folders under Group075 folder.
NR-000EH6CED3-T
NR-000EH6CED4-T
NR-000EH6CED8-T
Every folder contains a modelinf.xml file. Which one is in use?

OP
OP
felixlennart

felixlennart

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I found three folders under Group075 folder.
NR-000EH6CED3-T
NR-000EH6CED4-T
NR-000EH6CED8-T
Every folder contains a modelinf.xml file. Which one is in use?
To find that out do the following:
- Hold your Audio, Dim and Menu Button
- Click the second option
- Hold the buttons again
- Then select the option for vehicle model Info
- Now you should see the number thats in use

OP
OP
felixlennart

felixlennart

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I guess it's possible that features like remote start and keyless access settings are dictated by ECU/BCM firmware regions/versions rather than the HU firmware. Maybe try US region rather than Canada?
From what I've seen in the source code it's not very likely that the available settings are dictated by the ECU. Maybe the combination of my vehicle_customize_config.xml and modelinf.xml didn't work. The only way to find that out is to have a non-European version of these files.

There are so many people from North America in this forum using HondaHack, we really really need these files, I would be so glad if someone uploaded them 🙏

This is how the process appears to work:
Honda Civic 10th gen Install American firmware on European head unit 1671545080232

TuanTran1089

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017
Country flag
@felixlennart ,

I have an Asia (KY) Civic and it has Keyless Access Settings you need. My car does not have remote start feature which (I think) requires additional car part.

Attached both configuration files here for your research. Please update us if you find something interesting. I would like to change the meter color to Red (like Si version) but still failed even I can see the configuration there in modelinf.xml.

Note: For anyone who want to try, DO NOT DELETE your original configuration files. Backup those files, make change directly in original files, restart your head unit then it'll work. Once you done, revert those changes directly in the original files (you can refer to the backup files for original content).

My bad experience: I made changes in the original modelinf.xml files but accidently replaced it with backup file so the car rejected it (I believe because of incorrect checksum) then selected a default file somewhere else with America (KA) market. Luckily, there is still a way for workaround.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
felixlennart

felixlennart

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
@felixlennart ,

I have an Asia (KY) Civic and it has Keyless Access Settings you need. My car does not have remote start feature which (I think) requires additional car part.

Attached both configuration files here for your research. Please update us if you find something interesting. I would like to change the meter color to Red (like Si version) but still failed even I can see the configuration there in modelinf.xml.

Note: For anyone who want to try, DO NOT DELETE your original configuration files. Backup those files, make change directly in original files, restart your head unit then it'll work. Once you done, revert those changes directly in the original files (you can refer to the backup files for original content).

My bad experience: I made changes in the original modelinf.xml files but accidently replaced it with backup file so the car rejected it (I believe because of incorrect checksum) then selected a default file somewhere else with America (KA) market. Luckily, there is still a way for workaround.
Thank you very much for sharing your files. I compared them to mine and there are some differences.
My modelinf.xml has an entry called <TypeR>:
Honda Civic 10th gen Install American firmware on European head unit 1673085824429

Type R's have a red meter color so you can try to add the following to your modelinf.xml:
XML:
<TypeR>0x01</TypeR>
Btw is it true that your car has HondaLink? I thought that's only available for North American Hondas.

The vehicle_customize_configs are almost identical.
But I still haven't figured out how to enable the keyless access beep setting.

Does anyone know what CBV is?
<CBV>0x01</CBV>
<CBVObject>0x01</CBVObject>

TuanTran1089

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017
Country flag
Thank you very much for sharing your files. I compared them to mine and there are some differences.
My modelinf.xml has an entry called <TypeR>:
1673085824429.png

Type R's have a red meter color so you can try to add the following to your modelinf.xml:
XML:
<TypeR>0x01</TypeR>
Btw is it true that your car has HondaLink? I thought that's only available for North American Hondas.

The vehicle_customize_configs are almost identical.
But I still haven't figured out how to enable the keyless access beep setting.

Does anyone know what CBV is?
<CBV>0x01</CBV>
<CBVObject>0x01</CBVObject>
My car does not have HondaLink by default but seems like it can be enabled via modelinf.xml file. After I accidently replaced the modelinf.xml file, the head unit rejected my file and used a default file. Then HondaLink shown up in car Home Menu, I can open HondaLink and it shows a configuration page but then I stopped.

TuanTran1089

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017
Country flag
@felixlennart ,

CBV stands for "Contact By Voice". I think it's related to Voice Tag/ Voice Commands feature.

Honda Civic 10th gen Install American firmware on European head unit Screenshot_20230107-190316_Gallery

Do you think that the setting you want is in one of these files? I see them in the same folder as modelinf.xml
Code:
<CenterDisplaySettingPath>TEAA0006.ndp</CenterDisplaySettingPath>
<AudioSettingPath>GH6CE4YT.act</AudioSettingPath>
I don't know if you known this already: access the hidden menu by holding "Dim + Audio + Menu" -> select the second option -> hold Menu button -> Vehicle Model Information -> Detail info. It shows configurations in modelinf.xml in readable format.

Last edited:

OP
OP
felixlennart

felixlennart

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
@felixlennart ,

CBV stands for "Contact By Voice". I think it's related to Voice Tag/ Voice Commands feature.

Screenshot_20230107-190316_Gallery.jpg

Do you think that the setting you want is in one of these files? I see them in the same folder as modelinf.xml
Code:
I don't know if you known this already: access the hidden menu by holding "Dim + Audio + Menu" -> select the second option -> hold Menu button -> Vehicle Model Information -> Detail info. It shows configurations in modelinf.xml in readable format.
Yes I knew that.
The file could be interesting but I don't know if it's readable. It's probably a binary file

OP
OP
felixlennart

felixlennart

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
@felixlennart ,

Screenshot_20230107-190316_Gallery.jpg

Code:
Do you have a copy of your TEAA0006.ndp by any chance? I will try to copy mine next week and analyze its content