2017 Honda Civic Si Prototype Debut - Q&A, Photos, Video

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
The fastest Si ever while being bigger, due to safety regs, is still impressive.

I like that they use restraint and didn't put too much 'trying too hard' gimmicky design clutter on it like the Type R. But they did put the controversial hatch faux expanded screen front on it. Seats look great....hmmmm...how would they look in my SGP hatch.
Sponsored

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Also interesting to note that the release (and presentation) lists "available" performance tires, but doesn't not preface the active steering and suspension with "available" - implying those will be standard (and probably controlled by that mysterious "sport" button, which will probably cycle through different modes like the GTI).

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's obviously going to be a different 1.5, considering it'll be putting out 220+ hp.

Will it? I am wondering if based on the slide it will not have a slightly different turbo, exhaust and tuned.

Hondata already was able to just do a basic tune on the current 1.5T sedan and got it right at 200HP. Imagine a freer flowing exhaust would get it close to the Si numbers.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Will it? I am wondering if based on the slide it will not have a slightly different turbo, exhaust and tuned.

Hondata already was able to just do a basic tune on the current 1.5T sedan and got it right at 200HP. Imagine a freer flowing exhaust would get it close to the Si numbers.
By "different" - I mean different heads, turbo or other mods. The base engine will of course be the same. Honda isn't going to make two 1.5l engines.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
By "different" - I mean different heads, turbo or other mods. The base engine will of course be the same. Honda isn't going to make two 1.5l engines.

Ah, yea.

My guess is turbo. But in the past Honda has done head work to squeak or a few more ponies.

OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Here's our Q&A from the reveal event. Photos will be uploaded soon.

Q: HP / TQ figures?
A: Tech specs will be released/discussed at a later time.

Q: Turbo VTEC?
A: This will be revealed when tech specs are released.

Q: What models will the Si come in?
A: Coupe and Sedan only.

Q: What transmissions will be available?
A: Manual only.

Q: What does the Sport mode do?
A: The car features adaptive steering and suspension. The Sport mode changes throttle, steering and suspension.

Q: LED headlights?
A: To be determined. But, the Si model shown today is in the EX trim, and Si models traditionally have not been offered in the top trim (i.e. Touring).

Q: Blue or red gauges for the Si?
A: Red gauges and display like the hatchback.

Q: When does Si go on sale?
A: Spring of 2017.

Q: Pricing?
A: Not yet determined.

notavr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Here's our Q&A from the reveal event. Photos will be uploaded soon.

Q: HP / TQ figures?
A: Tech specs will be released/discussed at a later time.

Q: Turbo VTEC?
A: This will be revealed when tech specs are released.
interesting, yet it says in the press release it will have dual vtc?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
No embargo on the information my ass

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
It's obviously going to be a different 1.5, considering it'll be putting out 220+ hp.
That is what I wanted know; how they made it work and okay with the 1.5T. They knew about the huge debate. They should have given us a reason to still get excited with what they were giving us.

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
For those of you disappointed by the engine size, just keep in mind some of the factors Honda probably had to consider when making the decision:

1. Will the Si cannibalize on Type R sales?

2. If the 2.0L engine is used the cost will go up, potentially making the car unaffordable to the target market, and might prevent it from competing against certain cars like the Veloster Turbo, for example.

3. The 1.5L motor is extremely robust and capable of 300 hp (durability tested to this amount, so we've heard). Same goes for the manual transmission. There is more than enough headroom for the Si to use that motor. Even if the Si only has about 215 hp it will still feel quite a bit faster than the previous generation one, due to the huge swell of torque the turbo motor generates. We just purchased a 1.5T manual transmission sedan and I can tell you it feels quick, even though it is only rated at around 174 hp.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed like everyone else. Most people wanted a detuned 2.0T. In the case of the Type-R's previous engines, B16B and the K20A, the Civic Si had basically the same engine platform (B16A2 & K20Z3) but not as high performing as the Type-R engine. That was somewhat understandable. But now that the Civic Si is going to have a 1.5T versus the Type-R's 2.0T, the power difference is going to be bigger than ever before - that's what upsetting the enthusiasts, in my opinion. The only thing that looks good from what we've seen so far are the seats. I actually like the all looks of the car in general, but I think Honda just shot itself in the foot. Only a high-revving 1.5T that makes peak power at 8000 rpm can really save some people from a total letdown.
Maybe they were trying to keep the high-revving character of the Si going with this choice, but I wanted them to talk about that to diffuse the obvious immediate disappointment many people would feel.
Sponsored