2016 Honda Civic goes 6.7s 0-60 -- tested by Edmunds (calls Civic a game changer)

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Not sure if this is new, but the date says it was posted yesterday. 2016 Civic instrumented test by Edmunds. They got 6.7 seconds 0-60, the fastest tested figure I've seen!

They also had a ton of great things to say about the car...

Quick Summary
The all-new, completely redesigned 2016 Honda Civic is every bit as impressive and game-changing as its predecessor was underwhelming. It boasts best-in-class performance and fuel economy from its new turbocharged engine, a commendably engaging and refined driving experience, superb interior quality and ample space for people and cargo. We gave it a resounding "A" rating, as it's a class leader without question.

What's Under the Hood?
There's an all-new 1.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that comes standard on the EX-L and Touring trim levels and is optional on the EX trim. It produces 174 horsepower and fundamentally changes the Civic's driving character.

The Civic was previously one of the slowest compact sedans both in terms of our instrumented testing and how it felt in the real world. There was little in the way of low-end power — the feeling of being pushed into your seat — and one had to be aggressive with the throttle to get much of a response.

With the new turbocharged engine, there's a broad band of torque from 1,700 rpm all the way to 5,500 rpm. You have power whether you're pulling away from a traffic light or passing on the freeway. In our instrumented testing, the turbocharged Civic went from zero to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds. That's big news given that it took the previous Civic we tested 9.0 seconds to make the same run.

Admittedly, the new engine is a little growly, lacking that sweet, free-revving character of Honda's non-turbocharged VTEC engines. The standard continuously variable transmission (CVT) also saps some of the fun out of what might be possible from such a capable engine. Having said that, most won't find any of that to be of any concern. Typical, lackadaisical throttle applications will result in smooth acceleration. It should also result in outstanding fuel economy, given that we managed pretty good fuel economy despite spirited driving. The EPA estimates 35 mpg in combined driving (31 city/42 highway) with this engine, which would be best-in-class for a gasoline engine. We also achieved 36.8 mpg on the 116-mile Edmunds evaluation route, confirming that unlike those of some other turbocharged engines, the EPA numbers are attainable.

The 2.0-liter non-turbocharged base engine achieves the same EPA-estimated fuel economy. The base engine produces 158 hp and 138 lb-ft of torque, which is more than the old car (143 hp, 129 lb-ft) but it is noticeably less lively than the turbo 1.5. From a stop, there's a long pause between flooring the pedal and forward motion. The CVT also hesitates for a moment when passing slower vehicles, but that's not unusual for cars in this class.

How Does It Drive?
The 2016 Honda Civic is blessed with a sophisticated suspension that demonstrates impressive control over undulations that would flummox many competitors. Its ride is buttoned-down, and although you feel the impacts of bumps in the road, they are very well damped. This is just one of the ways the 2016 Civic feels less like its predecessor and more like a Volkswagen Golf.

It's more playful through corners, too. Body roll is present but well managed, and left-right transitions are handled with the utmost control. The stability control system also isn't overly quick to intervene and when it does, it's so smooth in its intervention that one rarely feels it when pushing the car far harder than most drivers would attempt.

The brakes are easily modulated and provide plenty of confidence while bringing the Civic to a stop from 60 mph in 117 feet. This is better than average, and pleasantly, subsequent emergency stops were similarly short. The days of long stops and fading, smoky, underpowered brakes seem to be in Honda's rearview mirror.

The steering, meanwhile, provides consistent and spot-on weighting. It doesn't try to be overly light in parking lots or overly heavy as speeds increase in a misguided attempt to be sporty. It feels natural, it encourages you to drive and it provides a good sense of what the tires are doing. Stickier tires would make the new Civic even better, and along with stiffer antiroll bars and other suspension modifications, it's easy to see just how much fun the future Civic Si and Type-R will be.

How Is the Interior?
Our loaded Civic Touring test car stickered for $27,335. Other compact cars at that price point quite simply do not seem worth it, despite being lined in leather and loaded with options. That definitely would've been the case with the outgoing Civic.

The 2016 Civic, on the other hand, looks and feels like it could cost more. The design is grown-up and handsome, with enough eye-pleasing visual details to keep things interesting. There's the touchscreen interface that sticks up ever so slightly in front of the alloy-look trim and a wrap-around design element that stretches around the dash from one door to another.

Then there's the quality of the materials. Even after much-needed midcycle improvements, the last Civic was always a letdown in this area. The new Civic boasts soft-touch surfaces on the dash and doors, as well as ample padding on the center armrest and surrounding trim covered in simulated leather. The plastics have a richer look and feel to them, the switchgear is top-notch and the gloss-black trim of the touchscreen interface has a modern sophistication to it.

Rest of review - http://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2016/road-test.html
Sponsored

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Cool. Has anyone driven both 1.5t and 2.0 some comparisons would be nice. I drove the 2.0 was impressed. I read a lot about the initial lag in the 1.5t until the car reaches 15 mph then pulls hard? Like off the line feels like a 130 horse car then boom really kicks in or not that bad?

Tamacake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si G8
Edmunds usually to be very optimistic.
Certainly, the real are almost one second slower.0-60 mph around 7.5s is very good ...

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know a lot of people focus on the new engines and acceleration, but what has really put a smile on my face when driving is the cornering. It is just so planted and confident when taking a turn, it's the biggest difference I am noticing coming from the 8th gen. The power is great, the smooth ride is wonderful, but the handling is the real star for me.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cool. Has anyone driven both 1.5t and 2.0 some comparisons would be nice. I drove the 2.0 was impressed. I read a lot about the initial lag in the 1.5t until the car reaches 15 mph then pulls hard? Like off the line feels like a 130 horse car then boom really kicks in or not that bad?
Monday was my first day at my new job... I work for Rick Case Honda in Davie, FL... with that comes some privileges... one of those is getting to drive all the cars... i literally spent hours driving and learning cars today... i drove the EX-L yesterday quickly but today, i had to try it again and we had a Touring there... so i drove that one for a bit longer and at night too... i couldn't find an LX anywhere... to be more specific, i couldn't find an LX 6MT to drive... so no comparison from me...yet... I'll keep looking tomorrow and i'm sure i'll find one to drive... then i'll report back...

i will say that i was really impressed with the two i drove... i owned an 06 Si Coupe and it actually felt like that one a bit... not the sound at all but the "feel" of it was there... i think the 8th gen Si had similar numbers and with that other thread showing the simulated numbers, this article doesn't seem far off...

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Edmunds usually to be very optimistic.
Certainly, the real are almost one second slower.0-60 mph around 7.5s is very good ...
Actually, I find Edmunds usually publishes slower acceleration times in their tests versus, say, Car and Driver. I'd have to think the 6.7 sec. 0-60 time is accurate

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know a lot of people focus on the new engines and acceleration, but what has really put a smile on my face when driving is the cornering. It is just so planted and confident when taking a turn, it's the biggest difference I am noticing coming from the 8th gen. The power is great, the smooth ride is wonderful, but the handling is the real star for me.
I'd read the Touring has a slightly beefed up suspension. This may apply to all turbo models.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually, I find Edmunds usually publishes slower acceleration times in their tests versus, say, Car and Driver. I'd have to think the 6.7 sec. 0-60 time is accurate
it certainly feels like its accurate...
I'd read the Touring has a slightly beefed up suspension. This may apply to all turbo models.
i believe just the stabilizer bars are thicker on the touring model... also the wheels and tires play into the handling as well...

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
This Honda.com news release confirms the difference in suspension.
Really good article ... lots of technical details.

http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8709-en

e.g.

"All Civic models utilize front fluid-filled bushings
and the EX-T and above trims additionally use rear fluid-filled bushings.
These bushings are specifically tuned to provide minimum vibration transfer to the occupants, raising the new Civic to the top of its class in noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) reduction."

They do not say anything about the stabilizer bars being "thicker"...
What they do say is:

"All Civic Sedan trims use a solid rear stabilizer bar for improved crisp turn-in and body roll control."

This article (US model ) also discusses how this affects the feel of each
http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/honda_civic-sdn_2016

"With a more complex dual-pinion electric steering setup and hydraulic mounts for the suspension, it's a magnitude more mature than the last Civic, precise and composed in all versions. On the base models, there's more dependence on the small 16-inch tires to soak up bumps, but ride quality is still good; it's just the turbocharged versions get better tires and additional hydraulic suspension bushings that deliver a wonderfully compliant, composed ride quality and excellent tracking. It no longer feels at all like an economy car, at this pay grade."

And
http://www.centralmaine.com/2015/11/08/2016-honda-civic-tops-the-compact-class/

"But it’s more than power which makes the upper level Civic’s so remarkable; it’s the ride and handling. While all Civics benefit from hydraulic front suspension bushings, toner [ed. Turbo?] Civics have them in the rear as well. This makes for a ride that does an excellent job of insulating passengers from road shocks."

Who cares about passengers... :)

baba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Lunar Silver

Tamacake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si G8
No, it does not.
6.7s is almost the same time of Golf GTI (6.4s), which has a better powertrain.
Edmunds reports 6,2s, but other sources have gotten between 6.4s and 6.5s for GTI.

Certainly, Civic 1.5 0-60 mph are above 7.0s ...

Last edited:

Aetheric Continua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I feel the same. I have the 2.0 and there is a nice amount of pep, but it really eats up corners.

Especially compared to my old 2010 Versa.

hector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 ford focus se hatch 5-speed manual
I feel the same. I have the 2.0 and there is a nice amount of pep, but it really eats up corners.

do you have the manual or cvt? particularly, i'm interested in the quality of the shift linkage of the 6-speed. while we know that honda makes some of the best manuals, along with mazda and probably porsche, i've seen reports that the particular unit in the civic is not their best compared to, for example, the unit in the s2000.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think its Awesome a Turbo Civic is close to 2015 Civic Si 6.5sec 0 to 60. But most dealers are selling a 2015 Si for 20k flat to move them. And a 2015 can be Turbocharged to 300whp easy. Turning the 2015 into a 5.0 sec 0 to 60 car. I just dont see the value in a 27k 1.5T civic touring vs a 20k leftover 2015 Si. I feel if I am going to spend 23k on a car its going to be an 2016 Accord Sport 4cyl 6.6 sec 0 to 60. ;)

http://m.caranddriver.com/honda/accord
Sponsored

Last edited: