What are these options?

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX with Honda sensor (nov 16) :)
I have an EX and wonder what these features are and what they do?

Speed-sensing, variable intermittent windshield wipers..? What are speed sensing wipers?

And

Speed-sensitive Volume Control (SVC).?

Thanks
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Guessing the wipers follow recent Honda practice and, if in the fastest intermittent speed, speed up to regular low speed when the car is moving above a couple of miles an hour. So, sitting at a light, the wipers are intermittent and moving they are not.

SVC increases the audio volume proportional to speed to offset engine and road noise. It's adjustable how much it increases volume and if it is used.

OP
OP

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. These options are automatic? Or do they need to be setup? I didn't read anything about these options in the manual provided with the car.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The wiper feature is just there. Set the wipers in fastest intermittent. Stop. You'll see it. Not surprised it isn't in the OM.

SVC is probably somewhere in menus for audio. Past practice, at least in my Hondas with this, has had Off, Low, Med, High settings. It's on pgs 210 and 245 of the US OM.

OP
OP

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Ill have a look again at the OM. And ill check the menu for SVC :)

OP
OP

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple of things I found. On the Honda Canada site there are two manuals. One is owners guide and the other is the US owners manual which is much more indepth. I only read the book that came with the car. A really scaled down manual.

Secondly re: speed sensing wipers, the way I understand it now is its not on my EX. It seems you need the auto wiper feature which detects the amount of precipitation. I don't think I have that option.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
re: speed sensing wipers, the way I understand it now is its not on my EX. It seems you need the auto wiper feature which detects the amount of precipitation. I don't think I have that option.
That would surprise me. My '07 CR-V has it and that pre-dated rain sensing wipers in just about anything short of S-class/7 series.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
US OM sayeth, p 160:
Models with adjustment ring
If the vehicle speeds up while the wipers are
operating intermittently, the length of the wipe
interval shortens. When the vehicle starts moving, the
wipers make a single sweep.
When the vehicle speeds up, the wiper operation’s shortest
delay setting ([icon]) and the LO setting become the same.
That first sentence is actually more than I was thinking it did which was only the last sentence. Way cool. Does the Canadian EX have the adjustment ring? Check and report.

OP
OP

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmmmm so this action is automatic? all i need to do is have the intermittent action selected? sorry im a bit confused. It definitely doesn't have the "auto".

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My expectation is that, in intermittent with the adjustment ring, the speed variation and swipe on movement is automatic. It just does it. Baked in. Don't have one to test though.

OP
OP

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
okay :) lots of rain here in Vancouver today (surprise, surprise). I will go out later and check. I have intermittent wipers where you can adjust the frequency.

OP
OP

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks dick! I had to read your post again regarding the wipers. I'm not sure why I couldn't register your post :( but I do understand now. Sorry.

The intermittent wipers adjust to the speed the car is going. So "technically" I guess I should be able to use this,and not have to adjust the wiper speed.

tnmz6i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Accord Coupe
Thanks dick! I had to read your post again regarding the wipers. I'm not sure why I couldn't register your post :( but I do understand now. Sorry.

The intermittent wipers adjust to the speed the car is going. So "technically" I guess I should be able to use this,and not have to adjust the wiper speed.
No, the wipers do NOT adjust to the speed of the car once it's moving. They are only slowed to a longer intermittent interval when two conditions are met: 1) Wipers are in the fastest intermittent setting (at the least, maybe other intermittent speeds, I'm not sure) and 2) The vehicle is stationary. As long as the car isn't moving, the wipers will activate on a longer intermittent interval, but when you begin to move forward, they will return to the setting on the wiper control stalk. You will still need to adjust the wiper speed while driving to any of the intermittent settings, to low or to high, depending on the amount of precipitation.

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
I have an EX and wonder what these features are and what they do?

Speed-sensitive Volume Control (SVC).?

Thanks

Speed sensitive volume control usually turns down the audio when you come to a stop, or slow down. Less wind and road noise as you go slower means many people then turn down the radio slightly, this automates that. I've had this on other cars back to 04 models and that was how it worked on them.

OP
OP

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, the wipers do NOT adjust to the speed of the car once it's moving. They are only slowed to a longer intermittent interval when two conditions are met: 1) Wipers are in the fastest intermittent setting (at the least, maybe other intermittent speeds, I'm not sure) and 2) The vehicle is stationary. As long as the car isn't moving, the wipers will activate on a longer intermittent interval, but when you begin to move forward, they will return to the setting on the wiper control stalk. You will still need to adjust the wiper speed while driving to any of the intermittent settings, to low or to high, depending on the amount of precipitation.
Hmm so what's the point of this? :(
Sponsored