Check engine light came on

Hercules Rockefeller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic hatchback
Country flag
I'm 1,700 miles from home and the CEL came on. Went to Auto Zone and got scanned and came back with P0455 and P0456.

I did put gas in it from a gas can where I stuck the filler neck into the capless system and it got stuck temporarily. When I road trip, I always bring a 5 gallon can with me. When I get to my destination, I empty the 5 gallon can.

Where should I be looking first? I won't be able to do much until I get home on Tuesday morning.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
For the capless system... there's a special funnel/tip thingy that we're supposed to use when filling from gas cans. IIRC... it's located with the jack/spare tire foam thingy. I think you set off the EVAP malfunction warning. Hopefully it's just a simple reset.

OP
OP

Hercules Rockefeller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic hatchback
Country flag
For the capless system... there's a special funnel/tip thingy that we're supposed to use when filling from gas cans. IIRC... it's located with the jack/spare tire foam thingy. I think you set off the EVAP malfunction warning. Hopefully it's just a simple reset.
I don't have mine, never had it as I bought this car as a rebuild. I'll have to go out to the junk yards and buy one.

Drove 1,700 miles back home with the CEL on. Still averaged 40.3 MPG.

I'll probably disconnect the negative battery cable to reset the system and see if it comes back on. No visible damage of the filler neck from what I can tell.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I'm sure it's functionally okay. But the EVAP system can be a real pain in the dick. And it may not pass inspection if it's not happy (no CEL). Fingers crossed.

Here's the page.

Honda Civic 10th gen Check engine light came on funnel

delayedend

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hyundai Kona N, 17 Civic Coupe Touring (Sold)
Country flag
Do Not Insert the nozzle of a portable fuel container

We all stick the nozzle of a gas pump in there, all the time, so what's the difference?
The nozzle at the gas pump is made out of metal, where most portable fuel containers have soft plastic nozzles that will get chewed up. That's at least how the dealer explained it to me.
-Edit- Also the portable ones might have groves in the nozzle where the funnel does not. Maybe the groves get stuck on the plastic door thing?

OP
OP

Hercules Rockefeller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic hatchback
Country flag
Drove 1,700 miles home and the CEL stayed on, no affect on mileage during the road trip. Ended up with a 40.3 average by the time I got home.

Looked at the fuel point and there was no visible damage. Car drove fine so I disconnected the negative battery terminal to reset the system. CEL has not come back on after having driven about 40 miles so far. I did get a funnel to refuel for next time using my 5 gallon can.

Went around a few junk yards and none of them had it.
Sponsored