Consumer Reports 2016 Reliability Rating

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
J D Powers may be even less credible than consumer reports. They've got a civic review (which you can find online)which has to be seen to be believed. I sent them an email in which I asked them if they exist in some alternate reality.
In addition to giving a bad review to the new new civic (the specifics of which were absurd)they also, in the reliability ratings, praised the PT CRUISER!!!!!, arguably the worst piece of junk on the road!
I urge everyone on the forum here to send them an email with a well thought-out explanation as to why they are full of shit.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
At the end of the day, dollars speak louder than words. No matter what some magazine says, the Civic is still selling like hotcakes, and years after one is sold, it will command a higher price than most if not all cars on that list. People do not buy garbage in droves, and then pay a premium to buy said garbage used.

a77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TLX, Land Rover Defender
More bilge from JD Power - there Civic rating reads like a Yugo. With no accessible commentary of any worth. For instance..."Starting with the EX, a blind-spot monitoring system is included. Honda Sensing system, new for is optional across the board. It's a suite of safety features that includes Lane Keep Assist, which will monitor and can even nudge the vehicle back into its lane, Blind Spot sensors and Collision Mitigation that will detect an impending accident". It's wrong and not even English. They are a joke.

a77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TLX, Land Rover Defender
Not just the Civic that gets a bizarre rating. here's the Subaru Outback. Everything is Excellent apart from 2 Goods...and it gets a fair rating...
Honda Civic 10th gen Consumer Reports 2016 Reliability Rating 306426d1477406221-consumer-reports-drops-subaru-6-spots-11-reliability-cr-reliability

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^^That Outback rating makes even less sense than the Civic.

As an FYI - one of the few "review" sites that makes sense overall is US News (http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/) - they aggregate reviews from across the industry, then give the car their own rating. Much more comprehensive.

And someone is clearly trolling and/or smoking meth at JD Power. Their comparison with other cars for overall quality is :doh:

Honda Civic 10th gen Consumer Reports 2016 Reliability Rating 2eocwlz

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
At the end of the day, dollars speak louder than words. No matter what some magazine says, the Civic is still selling like hotcakes, and years after one is sold, it will command a higher price than most if not all cars on that list. People do not buy garbage in droves, and then pay a premium to buy said garbage used.
That isn't strictly true.
Perception is a strong part of a brand.
People want to feel like they are buying a car that is a good value but that perception doesn't always match the current reality.
The new model has been out a little less than a year.
People trust the brand because of its track record but know nothing about how this particular car will be 5 years down the line.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I believe Honda has fixed most of the infotainment issues in the 2017 model and the later 2016 models. I bought my Civic In July and have not had any issues with the car. There are definitely more happy customers than there are disgruntled ones.
Based on what other than your personal experience?

As far as anyone can tell there is no difference between the two model years.

Now there have been at least two software updates but honestly I had to go back to the dealer multiple times before they realized that was the case.
The update has been more stable in comparison but still not great.

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
People trust the brand because of its track record but know nothing about how this particular car will be 5 years down the line.
Bingo. This is the first Honda I've ever owned and I bought it mostly because of the reputation. I'm pretty sure my coworkers who have watched me trudge to the dealership and seen my stack of rental car receipts won't be thinking the same way about Honda after this.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Well, what I don't get is WHY people are having problems. Yes, I'll acknowledge some people have had hardware issues with the screens which is a legitimate issue especially if people have to pay thousands out of pocket if it happens out of warranty. Beyond that, what is the real cause? The unit is "dumb" and is controlled by your phone. Is the real issue that you have a Samsung phone and Samsung is to blame? That's not Honda's fault and maybe not even Google's fault. Is it that lack of volume knob? Oh gee, I have to use the more convenient steering wheel controls. Oh no!

This system is light years beyond the crappy manufacturer systems like in my Dad's 2015 Highlander.

I love the system with the Google Maps system and soon we'll have Waze. Apps update all the time and the system is getting better everyday.

Maybe I'm the exception though.
I think your why is right in your own response actually.
You are focused exclusively on your interaction with Android auto.

By and large the people who report not having problems seem to only use the phone in one specific way.

Try playing music from a USB stick. The order is plays back songs is non-sensical.
Try connecting an iPhone.
Try connecting over Bluetooth.
Try using the built in voice commands, many of them just don't work but few people use them so people don't notice.

There are far more use cases than that that people are having issues with.

For me I've had the following:

- infotainment system randomly restarting

- Bluetooth skipping, which they issued a batch for

- backup camera frozen and guide lines overlaying the main screen

- inverted screen colors, which required a system reset, not just a reboot to fix

- false alerts about various system failures

- unable to clear system messages

The list goes on and on and if you search around you'll see that I'm hardly the only person who has encountered this laundry list.

But it extends beyond mere bugs into some very questionable design choices.

Why are there several blank pages with nothing on them?

Why are there seemingly left over apps from a base android install, like calculator?

It's just sloppy.

None of that has anything to do with volume knobs and everything to do with Honda shipping a system that wasn't finished.

I point out that people seem to get defensive and your response is defensive, dismissive, and ridiculing.

I think maybe people want to feel they didn't make a poor choice. When you spend as much as one does on a new car hearing that people are having problems is tough news to swallow, but not wanting to hear it doesn't make it any less true.

And particularly I've found that, having become a Honda owner simply because I felt they had the most appealing product when it was time to buy a car, people are passionate about their Hondas in a way few others are. To me if someone else had a better product I'd switch to that. I like my car but when I'm in the market for a car again if someone else has a better product I'll buy that instead. It's just a product and products can be good or bad regardless of who makes them.

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
That isn't strictly true.
Perception is a strong part of a brand.
People want to feel like they are buying a car that is a good value but that perception doesn't always match the current reality.
The new model has been out a little less than a year.
Of course, but a brand's track record is a strong predictor of reliability. It's similar to insurance risk: is someone who's had 3 DUIs and been in 6 accidents a more dangerous driver than someone that's never even been pulled over? From an actuarial standpoint, undoubtedly. However, you technically don't know, the DUI guy could never get into an accident again, and the safe guy could decide to race his car after a bottle of Jack. The point though, is that one is statistically a much smaller risk. So, if you are choosing a new car, and they are all unknown quantities, you use past indicators to predict the future and assess the risk, so to speak. The Civic, statistically, is a much safer bet from a reliability standpoint, than the majority of cars out there.

dblshock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Coupe touring WOP Toyota T4R '06
with all the recent negative reviews on the Civic hitting the press lately I'm sure Honda feels massive pressure to remedy this soon as many future sales are at stake. It would be smart for them to at least acknowledge the problem and promise to make it right...I'm sure that a solution announcement is forthcoming.

Kindred1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Consumer Reports dinged the Civic for its "infuriating" touch-screen radio, lack of driver lumbar adjustability, the limited selection of cars on dealer lots fitted with Honda's popular Sensing system, and the company's decision to offer LaneWatch instead of a full-tilt blind-spot monitoring system. Its score? A lowly 58.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Dude, there's like 3 different threads discussing the same thing already...

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes, the audio system poor, actually, on the Touring edition it's pretty much garbage until Honda gets all the bugs out of the infotainment unit and a real fix for sub-woofer rattle. Many quality problems overall - my first and last Honda.
Found a way to fix the rattle on the sub-woofer. I put feltpads on the speakers on the touring and it stopped the rattling for me. Just a temporary fix though. Haven't look much into it.
Sponsored