Smoking after prolonged idle. Turbo or PCV?

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the car idles for a long time with no load, then I drive away it smokes like a forrest fire. After about 20 seconds of driving the smoke clears and will never return unless I sit idle for 5+ mins again. Seems like the turbo is leaking as it only happens with no load. Or maybe the PCV but I'm thinking turbo, it hasn't lived the easiest life. When the cars under load, no signs of smoke and I can redline up through 5th 140mph .49 knock, 0 ltft everythings great. I added a little oil last oci but the oil level hasn't dropped a bit since I changed it 2 weeks and 700 miles ago. Side note it's definitely not coolant and and coolant hasn't dropped any in 24 months and I check with a milimeter ruler.

I rarely notice this problem as I always take off less than a minute after starting the car and don't hit big traffic lights often so the car is usually under load. Time to upgrade turbo?
Sponsored

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
PCV valve maybe? You can take it out and shake it to see if its still clicking. If you want to change it anyway just to rule it out its a super cheap part and takes 5 minutes.

I think you have already upgraded studs and headgasket right? I would hatefor it to be the turbo but if it is it sure is time to upgrade!

OP
OP
bbeem

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PCV valve maybe? You can take it out and shake it to see if its still clicking. If you want to change it anyway just to rule it out its a super cheap part and takes 5 minutes.

I think you have already upgraded studs and headgasket right? I would hatefor it to be the turbo but if it is it sure is time to upgrade!
I called dealership and they said the yellow speced one is on back order no ETA but they could get the discontinued red one that lists the civic along with accords and CR-V. I'm out of state this week but I have tools so maybe I'll just shake it and pick up a red one if it's bad. My friend also has one with 40k on his blown motor I might nab when I get home. Red vs yellow PCV linked below. Yellow one comes up when I enter the 19 si but red discontinued one should also work?

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~valve~assy~pcv~17130-5a2-a01.html

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~valve~assy~pcv~17130-59b-003.html

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Last edited:

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Did you resolve this problem? I think I'm having the same issue.

OP
OP
bbeem

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you resolve this problem? I think I'm having the same issue.
No, I smoke after I take off after sitting idle for 20+ seconds. I'll make a puff of smoke for like 3 seconds when taking off. I make a habit of starting with the car in reverse now so I can watch on camera how much it smokes at start. Sometimes not at all, sometimes a huge amount for like 4 seconds. I think it smoke worse with the car pointed uphill. With the intake side lower if that's making a difference.

It could be piston rings and blow by but I don't think so. Could be hot side of the turbo maybe. One member was talking about crank case wipers and perhaps oil splashing up at idle. I replaced PCV and reinstalled catch can. I vented to atmosphere for a day just to double check even.

The car actually runs great. Tunerview is always on and datalogs show it's running just perfect. I even take a 600+ mile trip for work every couple weeks with it. I'm surprised how little oil it's actually burning compared to the looks of the huge smoke cloud when starting it sometimes. I'm adding less than 1/8qt qt over the month I think. Change the oil about every 3 months 6,XXX miles. It doesn't seem to burn a drop when I do a 600 mile day.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Thx for the reply. I will go at my dealer anyway on my side air conditioning is hot for the second time ... For the smoke maybe missing some oil and my cooling coolant is full so this is a good new.

OP
OP
bbeem

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine can definitely smoke more than that sometimes. You can see the oil in your tip also. The cold can make your tollorances a little lower and therefore more blowby but it should be almost unnoticeable. You can definitely see the exhaust more in the cold but not because the oil buring. What if you park it uphill, when you start it will it blow a huge puff of smoke?

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Mine can definitely smoke more than that sometimes. You can see the oil in your tip also. The cold can make your tollorances a little lower and therefore more blowby but it should be almost unnoticeable. You can definitely see the exhaust more in the cold but not because the oil buring. What if you park it uphill, when you start it will it blow a huge puff of smoke?
Do a compression test you might have bad rings

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
No, I smoke after I take off after sitting idle for 20+ seconds. I'll make a puff of smoke for like 3 seconds when taking off. I make a habit of starting with the car in reverse now so I can watch on camera how much it smokes at start. Sometimes not at all, sometimes a huge amount for like 4 seconds. I think it smoke worse with the car pointed uphill. With the intake side lower if that's making a difference.

It could be piston rings and blow by but I don't think so. Could be hot side of the turbo maybe. One member was talking about crank case wipers and perhaps oil splashing up at idle. I replaced PCV and reinstalled catch can. I vented to atmosphere for a day just to double check even.

The car actually runs great. Tunerview is always on and datalogs show it's running just perfect. I even take a 600+ mile trip for work every couple weeks with it. I'm surprised how little oil it's actually burning compared to the looks of the huge smoke cloud when starting it sometimes. I'm adding less than 1/8qt qt over the month I think. Change the oil about every 3 months 6,XXX miles. It doesn't seem to burn a drop when I do a 600 mile day.
How many miles?

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Yea , when I'm uphill the puff is bigger .

Well if it's a ring dam it. They opened my motor for cams, head , head gasket and fuel injector like 2 years ago at 55k miles. Now I'm at 92k miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bbeem

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do a compression test you might have bad rings
Sorry that reply was directed alxgravel. Its not cold here yet but I don't expect my problem to change once it is.

I don't really think it's bad rings but it's possible. Smoke not during idle but when taking off after idling. Or when starting parked uphill.

63,626 miles ethanol tuned. Two head gaskets are the only repairs I've ever made.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
My bad... I will kept you updated on my problem calling my tech advisor tomorrow. Maybe that can help you to bbeem . Our problem is very similar

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Sorry that reply was directed alxgravel. Its not cold here yet but I don't expect my problem to change once it is.

I don't really think it's bad rings but it's possible. Smoke not during idle but when taking off after idling. Or when starting parked uphill.

63,626 miles ethanol tuned. Two head gaskets are the only repairs I've ever made.
Two head gaskets really damm what happend? Were you beating on the car?
Sponsored