Convince me out of selling for a tesla

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
All this Clean energy is a virtue signal anyways....We arent even ready for an infrastructure that supports Electric Vehicles. Its all show and no Go imo
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see the Taycans around and they have no hips like a proper Porsche. Like it doesn't know it's parents are. To me doesn't look enough like a Porsche.
Looks like a Panamera with different headlights to me :dunno:

And I'd still rather have one over a Tesla

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
If the budget is Model S and X, sure Taycan might be viable. but the range is poor in comparison to Tesla's offerings as they're more performance-oriented. Fit and finish on the porsche is also probably much higher. But if you think the Type R's range is low, the Taycan is even lower.

If you're looking at Model 3, Y, and other "low cost" EVs from VW, Hyundai, Kia, Ford...Taycan isn't really in the same tier.

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
An EV is a great idea if you live in a major metro area, at least where I live. Preferred parking spaces, charging stations everywhere, HOV lane access, and no fuel costs. My wife has thought about replacing her BMW with an EV but then we can't do our yearly trip down to Florida, because I sure as hell am not driving my Civic that far.

RTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
It think many people here don't actually own an EV.

I used to own a model 3 performance. It was fantastic. Some accident happened and I got myself an FK8 as a replacement. It's a nice driver car.

I have been having an idea of switch back to a Tesla model 3 but perhaps a long range this time. The gas price going up endlessly just made me think about this harder.

I already have other fast cars but they arent manual. FK8 has its own place and it will be hard to get rid of. I will surely miss it. hmmm.

For utility, EV wins hands down. My other fast cars are fun but not FK8 kind of fun though they are much faster.

I miss the much reduced nvh. You hear a lot of wind noise going beyond 200kmh (~124mph). Top end will not match FK8's which is disappointing. Stock coilovers are terrible. I upgraded to KW. I sacrificed a bit of comfiness for a much improved handling. The car is lowered and you will scrape your car more. Build quality sucks like many has said.

You can do your business inside your car without disturbing your surrounding. I feel bad if I do that with my FK8.

One pedal driving is a godsend. You don't touch the brake pedal unless you are driving fast, chasing, or being chased by the others.

You can ask any question about the model 3 performance. I drove it extensively and aggressively when I had it.

OP
OP

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
It think many people here don't actually own an EV.

I used to own a model 3 performance. It was fantastic. Some accident happened and I got myself an FK8 as a replacement. It's a nice driver car.

I have been having an idea of switch back to a Tesla model 3 but perhaps a long range this time. The gas price going up endlessly just made me think about this harder.

I already have other fast cars but they arent manual. FK8 has its own place and it will be hard to get rid of. I will surely miss it. hmmm.

For utility, EV wins hands down. My other fast cars are fun but not FK8 kind of fun though they are much faster.

I miss the much reduced nvh. You hear a lot of wind noise going beyond 200kmh (~124mph). Top end will not match FK8's which is disappointing. Stock coilovers are terrible. I upgraded to KW. I sacrificed a bit of comfiness for a much improved handling. The car is lowered and you will scrape your car more. Build quality sucks like many has said.

You can do your business inside your car without disturbing your surrounding. I feel bad if I do that with my FK8.

One pedal driving is a godsend. You don't touch the brake pedal unless you are driving fast, chasing, or being chased by the others.

You can ask any question about the model 3 performance. I drove it extensively and aggressively when I had it.

how is the handling of the model 3? I know its not going to be nearly as precise as the fk8 but how would it compare againt more "nomral performance daily" vehicles?

what kind of quality control issues did you have and how was Tesla when it came to handling complaints/servicing the car? I read a lot about (1 example) panel gaps. but if the servicing center fixes it no questions asked then its not too bad i guess

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is exactly what they're trying to do! Put gas so high that people will want to drive a electric vehicle... F that! Unless you really want to own one I wouldn't be getting rid of your CTR just to save money IMO.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I own both. Both are 2020's. CTR and Model 3 LR.

Besides all the debatable economics, environmental, and social aspects, just as cars....

The CTR is an incredible drivers car (as you know).

The Model 3 is a great commuter sedan. Usage costs are incredibly low, charging at home is great (i.e. not going to a gas station), HOV lane is a time saver. Build quality is about the same as my CTR, not fabulous. Tesla service sucks, good thing you almost never have to go except for delivery issues and recalls. But its not like Honda dealer service is much better. Over the air updates are... sometimes nice, sometimes a PITA when you don't like the change.

Acceleration from a start or at speed is awesome. Handlings is... acceptable. It drives like a really heavy sedan. It has a really low center of gravity so it feels like it has great cornering (if you think lack of roll is great cornering), but it's cornering is just eh. It is slow to turn in, not particularly responsive. All because it is heavy.

Travelling with a Tesla is.. good and bad. Yes having to plan 15-45 minute stops to recharge is annoying, plan your stops for lunch or stream a Netflix episode, etc. But the car is really easy to drive and comfortable. Just don't use auto drive. Sorry, but false alerts will scare the shit out of you.

They really are not comparable cars. Value them based upon what you want, need, and ow you value EV vs ICE.

And note, in 5 years the EV market will be completely different.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
If you think you are going to save money long term on fuel you are sadly mistaken. The feds are not going to let all the tax money they get from gas sales end. They will without a doubt tax you in some way if you have an EV. Once there are enough EV cars out there it will begin. As far as Tesla goes... I'm a limo driver and had a passenger once that owned a Tesla. He got run off the road into the median and screwed his car up to the point it couldn't be driven. Tesla would not send the parts to fix it even though Tesla was making those parts every day to make new cars. He told me he called every 2 weeks for 9 months before they all came. Took almost a year before he got his car fixed and back. The second he got it back he got rid of it. Told me never again..

OP
OP

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
OP here
I read and appreciate all your answers. That being said, before I go on, I had booked a test drive for tommorow (sunday) prior to making this thread that I will still go through to see what the drive is like for myself

After reading all your responses, I researched further into the Tesla Model 3 long range and learned more bout the car

I didn't realize how much of a 180 it is from the FK8. For some reason, I thought it was a drivers car. I thought it was more on par with a BMW M340i when in reality, it is more of a Corolla with an upscale interior

Most of the people that are raving about how good the Tesla is - for the most part - are not true car enthusiasts. People who think the car has "out of this world performance" just upgraded their grocery getter for the Tesla, and it is worlds ahead of anything they have previously owned/driven

Thanks to you guys, I am no longer considering the Tesla Model 3 as a replacement for my FK8. As perfect as a daily the Tesla may be (I truly believe it is - on paper) it is not something I would be happy with as a performance vehicle.

For those of you saying that the money saved going EV isn't worth it, in my situation, it is. I currently pay 300$/month on gas for my Corolla. Come summer when my Civic is out of storage, that number will easily double - plus my $450/MO Civic payment. On top of that, where I live, electricity is cheap (7 cents CAD/kwh) ++ EV incentives up to $13,000

More than likely, I will keep my Fk8 and eventually sell my Corolla for an EV lease +/- = price it costs me in gas ($300/mo)

Thanks again...!

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
OP here
I read and appreciate all your answers. That being said, before I go on, I had booked a test drive for tommorow (sunday) prior to making this thread that I will still go through to see what the drive is like for myself

After reading all your responses, I researched further into the Tesla Model 3 long range and learned more bout the car

I didn't realize how much of a 180 it is from the FK8. For some reason, I thought it was a drivers car. I thought it was more on par with a BMW M340i when in reality, it is more of a Corolla with an upscale interior

Most of the people that are raving about how good the Tesla is - for the most part - are not true car enthusiasts. People who think the car has "out of this world performance" just upgraded their grocery getter for the Tesla, and it is worlds ahead of anything they have previously owned/driven

Thanks to you guys, I am no longer considering the Tesla Model 3 as a replacement for my FK8. As perfect as a daily the Tesla may be (I truly believe it is - on paper) it is not something I would be happy with as a performance vehicle.

For those of you saying that the money saved going EV isn't worth it, in my situation, it is. I currently pay 300$/month on gas for my Corolla. Come summer when my Civic is out of storage, that number will easily double - plus my $450/MO Civic payment. On top of that, where I live, electricity is cheap (7 cents CAD/kwh) ++ EV incentives up to $13,000

More than likely, I will keep my Fk8 and eventually sell my Corolla for an EV lease +/- = price it costs me in gas ($300/mo)

Thanks again...!
Maybe a Hybrid? Best of both worlds?
If someone had a gun to my head and I had to make a snap hybrid decision I think I’d go with the most mature and well developed platform of all- the Prius. It isn’t the best performing car out there but I think I’d have fun hyper-miling to pass the time…

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
OP here

Thanks again...!
Maybe a Hybrid? Best of both worlds?
If someone had a gun to my head and I had to make a snap hybrid decision I think I’d go with the most mature and well developed platform of all- the Prius. It isn’t the best performing car out there but I think I’d have fun hyper-miming to pass the time

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wait for the electric “type-r variant” ?
Sponsored