Convince me out of selling for a tesla

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I don’t disagree with you, but I read a study showing that since electric cars are more efficient at utilizing energy than ICE cars, even in a coal-powered grid, an EV’s net CO2 emissions are similar to that of a very efficient gas-powered car, something like say, a Honda Civic :)

This doesn’t consider manufacturing emissions, which normally makes it so that it takes a few years for an EV to be “greener” over a ICE car too.

But yeah if the grid is having trouble supplying energy then that’s a logistical problem that makes it less desirable.
I have a Volvo XC40 R Design and just reviewed an article by Volvo about their study of pollution comparison between ICE XC40 and the EV XC40. The executive summary showed the ICE XC40 is overall less polluting until it gets to 90k miles. So I plan to drive mine until 90k and feel good about doing a small thing for the environment.
Sponsored

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR(sold) DE5 Acura Integra
Country flag
Personally I’m not ready to plug in my car like a appliance, also in colder climates the range is awful. A type R is a precision driving instrument, a EV is just a tool to get you from point A to B.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Being that Tesla can remotely shut your car off is reason enough to not buy one.
especially in cancel culture. Imagine…

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Being that Tesla can remotely shut your car off is reason enough to not buy one.
especially in cancel culture. Imagine…
Oh Definitely-they can shut off your car at ANY TIME. Take it to a non Tesla repair shop-we shut your car off for "your safety" until you pay the exorbitant fees at a month long backlog Tesla shop that's hours from you-ship the car there will ya!
Honestly if you factor in all the CO2 emissions involved in the creation of all the materials to make the car it's more than an ICE engine. But you'll never see that in mass media.
Battery powered cars are just a fad.
Carmakers don't care what kind of car they sell.
The "Environment" is the LAST thing on their mind.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Honestly if you factor in all the CO2 emissions involved in the creation of all the materials to make the car it's more than an ICE engine. But you'll never see that in mass media.
Most research indicates that an EV will make up for the extra production CO2 emissions in less than 5 years of use.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Most research indicates that an EV will make up for the extra production CO2 emissions in less than 5 years of use.
Still curious where you can safely dispose of all these massive batteries when the car is no longer viable. It’s all a shell game it feels. Save the earth by running electric and not using gas. But the electricity is generally created “dirty” with coal or what have you. Then the car disposal issue.

We need something revolutionary to move things to “clean”. And massive toxic batteries and tech thats been around a hundred years (electric cars are not new) is not it.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I think one would have to factor in the cost/emissions of making a new battery for the car, as most Teslas battery packs drop about 10% a year so after 5 years you have 1/2 the range and that's no good. I don't think the capacity per year is exclusive to Tesla. And, if even one teeny tiny cell is defective out of the 7000 or so then the 21,000 dollar battery replacement charge pops up.
I don't know the average lifetime of those batteries but 1/7100 cells seems likely given human error and the odds of one being less than the rest seem likely.
I admit being negative towards EVs as they seem "cool" "new" "better" but at less than 4% of vehicles on the road they aren't a roarin success as much as mass media would have you believe.
Most people will throw the car away when the battery goes bad then there is the disposal of all that lithium/battery gel crap.

Greggogrecco

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I would never try and talk you out of a Tesla, my friend works for them. I have gotten to feel ludicrous mode which is freaking insane. My buddy says the plaid acceleration makes you feel almost sick like from a roller coaster it is so fast. I have gotten to see the full self driving testing and he plugged his 3 in to take from his driveway to walmart and I can honestly say, even in the beta mode, it did amazing things and the future of self driving cars is going to be wild! No oil changes, no brake changes (regen braking can make brake pads last 200-250k miles), really just need to pay for tires. And its all on an app so you can schedule your car to hit a desired temp and stuff prior to getting in the car, the summon feature is great in real world and can get ya in a pinch if its downpouring rain outside or something.

It is a no brainer but you pay more up front. Battery rates will decline with ownership, my friends 3 started at 320mi range full charge and after 3 years and 80k miles, he is at 311mi full charge. So his battery loss is about 7 miles a year. Owners that charge their Tesla to the max 100% every night see a bit more of a loss. So keep in mind that part... However, they still retain their value, the full self driving package will only go up in price, up to 12k now as an add on, but I saw they have a 200 a month subscription.

Personally I am waiting for the upgraded batteries and the competition from other companies to see how it affects the Tesla market as it is only a matter of time before you will start to see some truly affordable EVs with the same or close to the same bells and whistles as Tesla for less a cost...

I debated a model Y over a CTR but I knew the CTR was a dream car and I was going to wait again for improvements. I am however going to start saving towards Rivian Truck and my hope is by the time those are readily available and their charging stations are more set up I will have enough to lock down one of those!

TLDR: If you really want an EV get an EV. The Tesla tech is cool and amazing, but youre trading off the stick shift and the "driving" experience.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I think one would have to factor in the cost/emissions of making a new battery for the car, as most Teslas battery packs drop about 10% a year so after 5 years you have 1/2 the range and that's no good. I don't think the capacity per year is exclusive to Tesla. And, if even one teeny tiny cell is defective out of the 7000 or so then the 21,000 dollar battery replacement charge pops up.
Really curious where you get your data from. Battery degradation is nowhere near 10% per year. It's more like 10% per 100k miles.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why get a Tesla when there's Polestar or Taycan?

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Really curious where you get your data from. Battery degradation is nowhere near 10% per year. It's more like 10% per 100k miles.
I admit you've got me there. But in my defense, all the glowing reviews/test results of EV batteries are from websites that seem to be catering to the EV crowd and manufacturers, much like this forum caters to ICE and Honda.....
I don't frequent EV forums but the prevailing opinion of battery capacity over time is not nearly as good as the tests performed by those EV websites.
I believe I saw a video by Engineering Explained showing research data (not anecdotal) that indicated about a 10% drop a year in capacity of all EV batteries collectively.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Why get a Tesla when there's Polestar or Taycan?
I see the Taycans around and they have no hips like a proper Porsche. Like it doesn't know it's parents are. To me doesn't look enough like a Porsche.
Sponsored