Fk8_Borwax

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic type r
Country flag
Next week I plan on ordering Hondata for my car and that’s the final thing I need I’m just worried about blowing up the engine for breaking the transmission it’s genuinely really stressing me out. How reliable would you say fbo and a tune is my cars only got 14k on it I just don’t wanna deal with Honda being annoying
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fk8_Borwax

Fk8_Borwax

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic type r
Country flag
Next week I plan on ordering Hondata for my car and that’s the final thing I need I’m just worried about blowing up the engine for breaking the transmission it’s genuinely really stressing me out. How reliable would you say fbo and a tune is my cars only got 14k on it I just don’t wanna deal with Honda being annoying
Also forgot to mention I have a civic type r not an si I tried changing my username but idk how

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Well, there is a reason they say "pay to play." The rule of thumb for a lot of folks is, if you can't afford to pay for engine repairs out of pocket, it might not be worth the risk. OTOH, many folks here have put thousands of miles on their modded and tuned CTRs, with nary a hiccup.

And that's the thing--from what I can tell, there is no way to predict what will happen in any one case. For your own peace of mind, it might be best to run through the possible scenarios. As in, "if the car done blowed up, am I f*cked?" If the answer is "hellz to the yeah," then, well, you get the picture.

Ben775

First Name
ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nah man your good u won’t have any problems stick with tsp and you’ll be fine

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
We have 71 tuned Type R's in my CivicX community tuning reliability thread and only one of those cars had a failure. It was a very aggressively driven FBO high power custom setup.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For additional safeguards can always go with a Motec 142 ECU…. But it’s pricey. … or ask around for recommendations for reliable Hondata tuner. :)

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
As an Si owner with just as much worry, go for it. Go FBO and get a pro tune and be happy. DO NOT abuse the shit out of the car and you will, under the majority of circumstances, have a fun, fast and reliable DD. The key thing is getting quality parts, getting a quality pro tune, and not driving like you stole it all the time. Do a big pull every once in a while or even race a kid a few times but understand your limits. You're spending money to play as the other commenter said but don't do something to break limits and you'll be fine

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
As an Si owner with just as much worry, go for it. Go FBO and get a pro tune and be happy. DO NOT abuse the shit out of the car and you will, under the majority of circumstances, have a fun, fast and reliable DD. The key thing is getting quality parts, getting a quality pro tune, and not driving like you stole it all the time. Do a big pull every once in a while or even race a kid a few times but understand your limits. You're spending money to play as the other commenter said but don't do something to break limits and you'll be fine
This to all 10th gen owners

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
i like to add, like any turbo engine do not lug the engine, they are more sensitive than a naturally aspirated engine. that means don't WOT from low RPM or under 3k in my opinion. this will reduce any chance of engine damage like rods or unnecessary load on the bearings of the rotating assembly. every vehicle ive had since 1999 has been professionally tuned and never lost an engine. i havent tuned the type R because i just cant see myself having too much power in the front wheels. physics and all.

Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
Had a buddy blow his engine from just hondata 93 oct tune and PRL intake. Sometimes you never know. They never did dig into the engine, but he suspects he must have just gotten lazy and forgot an oil change after too many miles/too much time. At the very least if you don't change your oil at least every 3/5k miles, do that please.

But this is the important part. After his engine blew up, he bought a brand new engine. If you're not liquid like that, then either keep it stock, or have it professionally tuned and make sure you follow a proper maintenance regimen.

(or be like me, have a beater car which costs equal to or less than a new engine, and if it blows just wait until you can afford to fix it)

OP
OP
Fk8_Borwax

Fk8_Borwax

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic type r
Country flag
Had a buddy blow his engine from just hondata 93 oct tune and PRL intake. Sometimes you never know. They never did dig into the engine, but he suspects he must have just gotten lazy and forgot an oil change after too many miles/too much time. At the very least if you don't change your oil at least every 3/5k miles, do that please.

But this is the important part. After his engine blew up, he bought a brand new engine. If you're not liquid like that, then either keep it stock, or have it professionally tuned and make sure you follow a proper maintenance regimen.

(or be like me, have a beater car which costs equal to or less than a new engine, and if it blows just wait until you can afford to fix it)
Yeah I am very on top of the maintenance I change the oil every 5k miles and I always bring it too honda just to be safe I never floor it under 3.5k rpm’s I daily the car so most of the time I’m just cruising just looking for more power for when I need it so you guys are pretty much all saying I’ll be fine is what im gathering

Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
Yeah I am very on top of the maintenance I change the oil every 5k miles and I always bring it too honda just to be safe I never floor it under 3.5k rpm’s I daily the car so most of the time I’m just cruising just looking for more power for when I need it so you guys are pretty much all saying I’ll be fine is what im gathering

You gather correctly. I mean we call all pretend like we air on the side of caution and are ready for a blown engine any day, but everyone is pulling that risk, and at least half of the people that do can prob barely afford the car and the parts they put on them, let alone a new engine.

Live life man, do ur thing, it'll be a great time, hondata was a great boost in power and fun for me.

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
If you do tune it, for the love of god stay away from two step. A lot of blown engine stories I have heard about or read regarding the CTR usually involve some ass hat using this…

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag

The hondata tune is very conservative. I doubt the tune is at fault
Sponsored