Type R Bogged Down And Stalled After Starting For No Apparent Reason. Wouldn't Start Again For A Couple Minutes.

Tyrannosaurus WRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WRX
Country flag
After driving my 2020 Type R around running errands with some spirited driving. I stopped at a store where I was in there for maybe 10 min. I came out started my Car and it immediately bogged down than stalled. I pushed the button to start again right away and it just tried and tried and tried to crank but would not turn over. Pushed button back to off, waited 5 min than tried again. This time it started right up and ran/drove home without an issue. Got home tuned the car off, waited 5 min tried and this time did start right back up.

I am completely stumped as to what happened? Anyone have any idea? Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored

evlsmurf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Impreza Sport
Country flag
I've had two times I went to start my '21 and experienced the same thing. I waited a moment and tried again and it started. No idea why it wouldn't start.

CW_CTR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2009 RDX, 2007 Accord
Country flag
My 19 did it once, just cranked and didn't start. Didn't take 5 minutes to come around, but was still weird for a car with 15k miles.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
I had that issue lately, but its a battery issue where the contact terminals has some dirt or something. I will be able to start the car, drive fine, but sometime lost electricity.
After I brush the battery terminals, the problem seems to be solved.

OP
OP
Tyrannosaurus WRX

Tyrannosaurus WRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WRX
Country flag
Figured I would update as enough time has passed. The problem has not happened since that one day. So strange! I could also say it was NOT battery related. When this happened, even the way the car turned off beforehand when I pressed the ignition button, sounded weird. The car kind of puttered and conked out. It was subtle and I found it odd but kept moving and went inside my destination.

It wasn't until 10 min or so when I went to start back my car back up that I realized the way it sounded when it turned off was directly related to now not starting. And the reason I say it's not battery related is because she first cranked right over and did start for 2 seconds before stalling and dying. Than it would try and turn over with NO problems cranking. Just wouldn't ultimately start despite healthily trying to crank. Let it sit for 5 minutes than started right away and no issue since.

So to date remains a mystery!

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Back in around 1981 or 1982, I had a 1979 VW Rabbit, one of the first made in their short-lived Westmoreland, PA plant. A fun, if perhaps not that well constructed, car, but it developed a problem very much like the one described in this thread. In my case, it would simply refuse to start. I could go days with no issues, then pull into a parking lot and go into a store, and come out and nothing. Waiting a half hour or so often fixed it, magically it seemed.

Took it in, had the electrical system looked at, nobody could find anything wrong. Not with the battery, the starter, nothing. Finally I just traded it in (on a Buick, don't ask). A few months later I got a call from some guy in Alabama. How he got my name I don't know, though I suspect the dealer I traded the car to told him. He asked me, rather politely, whether I had had any electrical issues with the car. I told him honestly that yeah, it occasionally would not start, but that the dealer couldn't find anything overtly wrong. He informed me that it was all somewhat moot now, as the car had burst into flames and burned to the wheels; some sort of electrical issue apparently. No one was hurt or anything, but it was somewhat bizarre.

OP
OP
Tyrannosaurus WRX

Tyrannosaurus WRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WRX
Country flag
Back in around 1981 or 1982, I had a 1979 VW Rabbit, one of the first made in their short-lived Westmoreland, PA plant. A fun, if perhaps not that well constructed, car, but it developed a problem very much like the one described in this thread. In my case, it would simply refuse to start. I could go days with no issues, then pull into a parking lot and go into a store, and come out and nothing. Waiting a half hour or so often fixed it, magically it seemed.

Took it in, had the electrical system looked at, nobody could find anything wrong. Not with the battery, the starter, nothing. Finally I just traded it in (on a Buick, don't ask). A few months later I got a call from some guy in Alabama. How he got my name I don't know, though I suspect the dealer I traded the car to told him. He asked me, rather politely, whether I had had any electrical issues with the car. I told him honestly that yeah, it occasionally would not start, but that the dealer couldn't find anything overtly wrong. He informed me that it was all somewhat moot now, as the car had burst into flames and burned to the wheels; some sort of electrical issue apparently. No one was hurt or anything, but it was somewhat bizarre.
Wow, that's crazy. I'm hoping this is entirely different!!
Sponsored