Zacaea

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic fk7
Country flag
I just bought a new mishimoto catch can and installed it yesterday. I probably put a good 50 miles of highway driving with it on yesterday, I went to check it just to see if I caught any oil. In my opinion I think there was too much in there in that 1 day of driving. But i’m not sure.

Honda Civic 10th gen alot of oil in catch can. image
Sponsored

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Seems like a lot to me. Indication that your crankcase is seeing a lot of pressure? Back in the day, others would have oil through their cans and filters like this. I only used an in-line filter on mine and never saw a drop…

OP
OP
Zacaea

Zacaea

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic fk7
Country flag
Well the thing is, I went on a 20 mile drive yesterday, and it looked more like gas. So either its gas somehow getting through? Or its because its very very cold out at the moment, so it could be a condensation and the oil mixing? But I’m not sure. Just have alot of thoughts.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
That’s more than should be in there for 50 miles. That’s like what I’d see in my can after 1000 miles.

You’ll see more in the winter for sure, but it’s mostly gas. From idling cold too much or never getting up to operating temp. It’s not even that cold in Kansas yet.

Maybe his PcV valve need replaced? How many miles on the car?

Edit: no way it’s a brand new car 2021

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do not panic. It’s not that much. Empty it and check back in 500 miles… or like 300.

Normally it wouldn’t be full after 5000 miles.

OP
OP
Zacaea

Zacaea

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic fk7
Country flag
That’s more than should be in there for 50 miles. That’s like what I’d see in my can after 1000 miles.

You’ll see more in the winter for sure, but it’s mostly gas. From idling cold too much or never getting up to operating temp. It’s not even that cold in Kansas yet.

Maybe his PcV valve need replaced? How many miles on the car?

Edit: no way it’s a brand new car 2021
we have been getting down to about 9 degrees and even lower at night, it has been pretty cold ?

OP
OP
Zacaea

Zacaea

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic fk7
Country flag
Do not panic. It’s not that much. Empty it and check back in 500 miles… or like 300.

Normally it wouldn’t be full after 5000 miles.
Alright, i’ll leave it for a bit, just seemed kind of interesting to me.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
we have been getting down to about 9 degrees and even lower at night, it has been pretty cold ?
If it’s getting that cold, then yeah you’ll see more gas in the catch can. Just don’t leave your car idling in the driveway/garage for 30 minutes expecting it to warm up because it never will until you drive it. It’s too small and efficient. The more time the engine operates far below temp, the more blow-by you’ll get.

OP
OP
Zacaea

Zacaea

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic fk7
Country flag
Alright so update, I started getting really low idle at stops, which indicated to me that there was a possible vacuum leak, so I took off the hoses and just ran the stock hose. And now there is no more leak. I’ll be contacting mishimoto tomorrow, either that or getting some smaller hoses and fittings? Because I had those hoses CLAMPED down. I compared them to the stock ones, they are a tad bit bigger, which shouldn’t cause any issues since they’re clamped, but they just slip on and off of there almost too easily in my opinion.

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Alright so update, I started getting really low idle at stops, which indicated to me that there was a possible vacuum leak, so I took off the hoses and just ran the stock hose. And now there is no more leak. I’ll be contacting mishimoto tomorrow, either that or getting some smaller hoses and fittings? Because I had those hoses CLAMPED down. I compared them to the stock ones, they are a tad bit bigger, which shouldn’t cause any issues since they’re clamped, but they just slip on and off of there almost too easily in my opinion.

I don't run a catch can, but if the hoses are clamped down, then I'd be checking the seal at the actual can (I'm assuming there is an O ring?)

OP
OP
Zacaea

Zacaea

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic fk7
Country flag
I don't run a catch can, but if the hoses are clamped down, then I'd be checking the seal at the actual can (I'm assuming there is an O ring?)
Yessir, I tightened the fittings to the filter, and the catch can, all of which are sealed tight so, the only issues I can think of are the hoses.

OP
OP
Zacaea

Zacaea

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic fk7
Country flag
Alright, 300 mile update. So I put my catch can back on before I had no time to myself the rest of this week, so far the car has been running fine on the tune with no vacuum issues, just that ticking noise which I’ve been told is the pcv valve opening and closing apparently. Took off all the hoses and the catch can and just cleaned it all out. I used one of my smaller worm gear clamps i had lying around for the hose leading to the intake manifold. Its starting to get to about 40 50 degrees this week, so its not as cold as it has been. So I’d say its looking pretty good after a week!

Honda Civic 10th gen alot of oil in catch can. image

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah that looks pretty normal now. And I ran a catch can for about 30,000 miles before i decided i couldn’t take that rattling noise anymore and just stuck to using crc intake and turbo cleaner every 10k miles.

I think it is the pcv valve noise being translated to the firewall from the hoses. Like putting a string on two cans kinda thing. It’s my best guess. I’m no expert, however.

I think you just see more gas blow-by in super cold temps.

Just an FYI. Make sure your fuel line hose isn’t rubbing against your catch can. It will act like a cheese grater and wear it down. The can has a rough surface and it gets very hot. I used a zip tie to hold it back.
Sponsored

Last edited: