IOS 10 Problem

bird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Ugh, is that "this thing [only] goes up to 11!" still happening with iOS 10?

The other day I discovered a fix: Tap into a text field, such as in Messages or the Safari address bar. Now tap out of it or leave the app. Ta-da! Full volume again. I've gotten it to work 3 times so far. (Think about how the volume normally lowers when you're in a text field, then goes back to normal when you leave. This seems to get it back on track.)

I just upgraded to iOS 10 tonight, so I'll be interested to see if this trick still works.
Sponsored

Hockey_magnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Definitely not just a Honda problem as there have been lots of other posts after upgrade to iOS 10 with other cars as well. One thing that occurred to me was since Apple removed the headphone jack and is using the lightning port starting with iPhone 7 and iOS 10, they may have made some changes to the lightning port configuration. There is supposed to be an a point update to iOS 10.1 soon (out in beta). Maybe that will help but in the meantime people with this problem should start putting some heat on Apple, not Honda. One site suggested trying these possible fixes:

"One thing to try is to delete the bluetooth-paring from the iphone (forget this network) and pair it again and connect again. Carplay is supposed to use bluetooth in the carplay setup process, and a problem with bluetooth could be the source of your problem with carplay. it's worth trying even if bluetooth appears to be working ok.

Other things to try:

- Reboot the iphone (you probably have), try connecting with carplay again.

- Turn off the carplay setting on the iphone, go back a level in settings, leave settings. Then go back to settings in the iphone, turn on the carplay setting, try connecting

- "Reset all network settings" on the iphone, setup bluetooth again, turn on carplay again and try again."

apatters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Definitely not just a Honda problem as there have been lots of other posts after upgrade to iOS 10 with other cars as well. One thing that occurred to me was since Apple removed the headphone jack and is using the lightning port starting with iPhone 7 and iOS 10, they may have made some changes to the lightning port configuration. There is supposed to be an a point update to iOS 10.1 soon (out in beta). Maybe that will help but in the meantime people with this problem should start putting some heat on Apple, not Honda. One site suggested trying these possible fixes:

"One thing to try is to delete the bluetooth-paring from the iphone (forget this network) and pair it again and connect again. Carplay is supposed to use bluetooth in the carplay setup process, and a problem with bluetooth could be the source of your problem with carplay. it's worth trying even if bluetooth appears to be working ok.

Other things to try:

- Reboot the iphone (you probably have), try connecting with carplay again.

- Turn off the carplay setting on the iphone, go back a level in settings, leave settings. Then go back to settings in the iphone, turn on the carplay setting, try connecting

- "Reset all network settings" on the iphone, setup bluetooth again, turn on carplay again and try again."
I have tried everything but the only thing that works is a reboot every time I connect. Stopped working when I upgraded to ios 10.1 which is the most recent public beta version.

Hockey_magnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I have tried everything but the only thing that works is a reboot every time I connect. Stopped working when I upgraded to ios 10.1 which is the most recent public beta version.
Can you clarify a couple of things - do you mean you have to reboot your phone or the car unit? I'm assuming the phone? What specifically do you mean by reboot? Turn off and on?. home and power button? Were you having any problems before installing the 10.1 Beta? Were you running 10 or 10.0.2 before the 10.1 Beta? thanks

apatters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Can you clarify a couple of things - do you mean you have to reboot your phone or the car unit? I'm assuming the phone? What specifically do you mean by reboot? Turn off and on?. home and power button? Were you having any problems before installing the 10.1 Beta? Were you running 10 or 10.0.2 before the 10.1 Beta? thanks
Sorry about that, I have to turn off the iPhone and not reboot. I did not have any problems when I was on 10. I have never had 10.0.2 because I am on the public beta.

Hockey_magnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
This is so strange - I have a 6 as well. I had no problems when I had the last version of 9 installed. When I upgraded to 10.0 the "not compatible" message started which i've outlined previously. i.e. I get the message unless the phone is up and running when plugged in otherwise I have to unplug it and plug it back in and then it works, yet you didn't have the problem with 10.0 only 10.2. There just doesn't seem to be any consistency in this. Makes me very wary of upgrading to 10.2 when it's released since I'd rather have the problem of having to have the phone on when plugged in than having to turn it off and on again.

apatters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
This is so strange - I have a 6 as well. I had no problems when I had the last version of 9 installed. When I upgraded to 10.0 the "not compatible" message started which i've outlined previously. i.e. I get the message unless the phone is up and running when plugged in otherwise I have to unplug it and plug it back in and then it works, yet you didn't have the problem with 10.0 only 10.2. There just doesn't seem to be any consistency in this. Makes me very wary of upgrading to 10.2 when it's released since I'd rather have the problem of having to have the phone on when plugged in than having to turn it off and on again.
I upgraded to 10.1 Public Beta 2 and the issues had been fixed for me.

BIGPimpSATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update:
I'm on a iphone 6 running 10.0.2 with all the same errors as previously mentioned by myself and others.
I decided to go Bluetooth and it works to no surprise minus CarPlay over USB. Streaming songs n making calls.
So i tried plugging in the phone to the CarPlay connect and it took it without an issue. Haven't received the common errors, made calls through CarPlay played and changed music through CarPlay.
I will keep you posted.
Ps. Enable always and access while locked are active

Last edited:

hondasevilmonkey

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I can't believe I have to go to my dealer and wait in the service for an hour to have my infotainment software updated every time Apple upgrades their iOS system. This is my 4th time that I have to go and its not even a year old. I have the extended 8 yr warranty on my car and according to my math calculations ((4th time x 2) x 8) = 64-4=60) I have another 60 future appointments coming up until Jan/2024. This is just one example why I would avoid Honda like the plague for future purchases. Instead of a DIY fix they make you come in and waste you time instead of spending your free time doing more productive things.

Hockey_magnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I can't believe I have to go to my dealer and wait in the service for an hour to have my infotainment software updated every time Apple upgrades their iOS system. This is my 4th time that I have to go and its not even a year old. I have the extended 8 yr warranty on my car and according to my math calculations ((4th time x 2) x 8) = 64-4=60) I have another 60 future appointments coming up until Jan/2024. This is just one example why I would avoid Honda like the plague for future purchases. Instead of a DIY fix they make you come in and waste you time instead of spending your free time doing more productive things.
Haven't seen anywhere yet that this would require an update to the system.

MisterEnigma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
You do know that the issue lies with Apple not Honda in the case of carplay not working properly? The issue is occurring on many different makes/aftermarket HU, not just Honda. Just go on the Apple forum and you'll see multiple post regarding this.
Sponsored