Ontario check-in!

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Our B.C. friends seem to have an active thread going. I know my dealer has been putting 2016 Civic's on the road but the only one I have seen in the wild was actually a few weeks before the release. Think it must have been a trainer.

To those on the road are you getting any comments or thumbs up? Not to much promotion from Honda so possibly many Civic owners aren't familiar with the changes.
Sponsored

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Loggin in from Kirkland Lake, Ontario. I had a few people talk to me about it when parked at North Bay Timmies last week on the way back from Toronto. A few nods on the highway but mainly parked in the car shelter out of the snow.

It's so new I don't think many people in town have any idea what it is.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Loggin in from Kirkland Lake, Ontario. I had a few people talk to me about it when parked at North Bay Timmies last week on the way back from Toronto. A few nods on the highway but mainly parked in the car shelter out of the snow.

It's so new I don't think many people in town have any idea what it is.
The few people you talked to, where they aware of Honda having a Turbo? I've driven the turbo but the road was dry. Do you have to be lighter on the gas in the snow. Is it touchy?

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
The few people you talked to, where they aware of Honda having a Turbo? I've driven the turbo but the road was dry. Do you have to be lighter on the gas in the snow. Is it touchy?
We've had a few snowfalls lately and I was able to try out the traction control both on acceleration and during panick stops.

When hitting the gas, the tires do slip a little but the engine power is limited to prevent a full on spin. I found that I could hammer down on the throttle and just let the VSA do its job keeping me driving straight and true. The car accelerates quickly compared to my 2006 Civic with similar studded winter tires (Hakkapeliitta 7 and 8). Probably a combo of extra ponies and traction control walking the thin line between spinning uselessly and not pulling hard enough.

Braking was really good with the ABS/VSA seeming to keep me going straight instead of slowly veering off the crowned road. I know you can "stomp and steer" but I always like to test things out and think the torque vectored steering (or what Honda calls it) does something by braking the appropriate corner to keep things moving as per the direction that the steering wheel is aimed at.

One thing I discovered is that the parking brake engages all four wheels and much more aggressively than the ABS system does. Just pull up on the lever to engage and let it go to release, no need to push down or double pull to disengage.

I have yet to test the torque vectored steering in a high speed snowy or icy corner to see what it does. I almost feel like it is doing something on normal wet/snowy roads but it's so subtle I can't tell. I feel a slight correction to the arc radius while turning in a tight corner almost as if I had re-adjusted the steering wheel a little tighter part way through the corner.

Much more winter for testing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fabulous, thanks. Sounds like you may have actually had a bit of fun doing some serious testing. For us Southerners it sounds like a good set of snows and common sense will get us through the winter.

Last edited:

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Fabulous, thanks. Sounds like you many have actually had a bit of fun doing some serious testing. For us Southerners it sounds like a good set of snows and common sense will get us through the winter.
I drove the car in snow for a few days before getting the winter tires installed and was surprised by how well it handled the snow and ice. The ABS is a lot more aggressive than the old 2006 Civic.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Civic is late. Should have been here last week. It will have winters on steel rims when delivered.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How about fogging up? How well does the defrost work? Anything to report.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
No complaints about the defroster, rear or front so far. The front defrost setting has nice adjustable side vents that blow on each window.

The only thing I don't like is the auto climate setting doesn't turn the fan to front windshield defrost. I've been keeping the system in manual and adjusted the climate screen to stay on instead of reverting back to previous screen after default 10 seconds.

Last edited:

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (WOP), 2019 Pilot Touring (Black)
Country flag
Fellow Ontarions, Good to see a dedicated thread :thumbsup:

Finally the EX-T trims have arrived in the GTA, a few dealers now have ~5 each... Booked a test drive - although a formality, wanted to see the exact trim I want and drive it for myself before I buy it...

Unhaggle says invoice pricing on EX-T is $23,366 ($1,624 below $24,990 MSRP).

I will getting the 6yr/100k Honda Plus warranty (i think it's ~$1,000), winters on steelies ($1,200), tint (~200) and paint protection (~300) - will wait for WeatherTech floor mats.

Planning on starting the negotiation ~1200 below MSRP... let's see how far I get.

How was your negotiation experience?
Did you get a decent discount?
How much?
Any idea on Honda Plus extended warranty pricing?

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When hitting the gas, the tires do slip a little but the engine power is limited to prevent a full on spin. I found that I could hammer down on the throttle and just let the VSA do its job keeping me driving straight and true. The car accelerates quickly compared to my 2006 Civic with similar studded winter tires (Hakkapeliitta 7 and 8). Probably a combo of extra ponies and traction control walking the thin line between spinning uselessly and not pulling hard enough.
I was thinking the same about Turbo causing a tire-spin on snow, but good to hear it's isn't too bad and I guess the concern of Turbo-lag is not a bad thing for us snow drivers...

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My Civic is late. Should have been here last week. It will have winters on steel rims when delivered.
That sucks! Didn't you order your car a while ago? surprised it didn't arrive yet...

I'm getting antsy thinking about the test drive and getting it home soon!

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First welcome, nice to get another voice here.
Yes, cut my deal Nov. 18. Car was made and released for delivery Nov. 18-24, then revised out another week. Had my VIN#. Learned this week that this car was destroyed by Honda Canada. (Their story). My new VIN# was released with a Dec. 2 -8 delivery. Still not here. Driving by in the next hour or two. They did get in 2 EX-T's.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Fellow Ontarions, Good to see a dedicated thread :thumbsup:

Finally the EX-T trims have arrived in the GTA, a few dealers now have ~5 each... Booked a test drive - although a formality, wanted to see the exact trim I want and drive it for myself before I buy it...

Unhaggle says invoice pricing on EX-T is $23,366 ($1,624 below $24,990 MSRP).

I will getting the 6yr/100k Honda Plus warranty (i think it's ~$1,000), winters on steelies ($1,200), tint (~200) and paint protection (~300) - will wait for WeatherTech floor mats.

Planning on starting the negotiation ~1200 below MSRP... let's see how far I get.

How was your negotiation experience?
Did you get a decent discount?
How much?
Any idea on Honda Plus extended warranty pricing?
Seriously look at the Touring for an extra $2000. It took me a couple days of comparing the specs to be convinced to go for it and I don't regret it. I quit smoking just to be able to afford the extra $10 a week. On the 2.5hr drive home from the dealer and after playing with all the Sensing stuff I took a break and just drove the car. I put on some 30 year old feel good music, turned up the radio and had one of those rare "holy crap, I'm in love" ear to ear smiles on my face for the next 100 kilometers. The wife loves the heated leather seats, you should have seen the smile on HER face during the test drive. I have 3600 kms on it so far and average 6.8L/100km with 95% spirited highway travelling. On a 1200km Toronto trip I averaged 5.8L/100km with regular driving at 10 to 15km over the speed limit.

A childhood friend sold me the car, not much negotiation on the vehicle's MSRP (apart from included block heater) knowing the situation with the new model, high early adopter interest, and great deal compared to US pricing. I did get $175 off on the 7yr/200km extended warranty's online pricing, deal on all weather package and a lot of free Honda stuff from my buddy. You have a great price for the tint, I'm paying $300 in North Bay. I paid $500 for paint and interior protection with 10 year warranty. Good idea to wait for the WeatherTech mats, Honda's are plasticky and a little underwhelming.

Whatever you end up with, don't look back and drive the crap out of it! I'm planning on enjoying mine for the next ten years as I did with my 2006 Civic EX.

Last edited:

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I was thinking the same about Turbo causing a tire-spin on snow, but good to hear it's isn't too bad and I guess the concern of Turbo-lag is not a bad thing for us snow drivers...
Turbo lag??? What turbo lag? This is from a Ford EcoBoost owner, i know what turbo lag is and this Civic does not suffer from it! :) The CVT is geared a little tall from 0 to 30km/hr but over that she wakes up and drives you into your seat. The best feature is the "S" sport mode on the CVT. Make sure you try it on your test drive. There are more powerful cars on the market but the Honda formula has worked for me since my 1987 Accord EX-i.
Sponsored