2.0L CivicX 2.0L Tuning - BIG Gains Confirmed For The Second Time

Honda 4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic lx
Country flag
Got a question guys. The new version of ktuner software seems to let us 2.0l engine have full control of the vtec engage/disengagement. Now the question is @ what rpm is most optimal to set vtec to engage?
for real? We can set manually the vtec engage/disengagement?
Sponsored

Reszulton

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sedan lx
Country flag
for real? We can set manually the vtec engage/disengagement?
I need to connect it to my car to be sure. I tried it on the computer without connecting to my car with the last update and it seems I can play around with vtec.

Reszulton

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sedan lx
Country flag
I hooked it up to my car and can confirm that we are able to adjust vtec engagement.

DuhCivic

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx
Country flag
Tried reflashing to lower vtec to 4.5k today however the car wouldn't go past 5k rpm after flash and bogs at 5k. Currently reflashing back to basemap. Anyone else tried?

NiTr0oX

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic lx sedan
Country flag
Tried reflashing to lower vtec to 4.5k today however the car wouldn't go past 5k rpm after flash and bogs at 5k. Currently reflashing back to basemap. Anyone else tried?
I talked with chuenoona about that and he was able to lower vtec to 4,5k this is his response: I have it set to 4500 rpm and it works !! Finally full control of vtec… make sure you adjust the vtc high/low intake cam angles appropriately as well ….

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
I wish someone make a tutorial video on how to set a vtec.
Agreed, I wish I knew what "make sure you adjust the vtc high/low intake cam angles appropriately as well" meant. Would it be the same for all 2.0's? Or something we need to figure out that's unique to our cars?

NiTr0oX

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic lx sedan
Country flag
Agreed, I wish I knew what "make sure you adjust the vtc high/low intake cam angles appropriately as well" meant. Would it be the same for all 2.0's? Or something we need to figure out that's unique to our cars?
playing with the vtec is like any other tuning aspect of an engine the thing is figuring out what setting does what. The k20c2 isn't like the old k20 when it comes to tuning it makes it harder to find info because not a lot of people have played with it yet. It will be the same for all the 2.0 if you have exactly the same setup (ex. same tune let's say ktuner base tune, with stock car. ) What can affect the tuning process is if you have a different intake or dp for example.

For anyone trying to figure things out I would suggest changing the settings by little increment and logging the data, things to check are K.Cont - Knock Control Value, K.Count - Knock Count, you can also go visit this page to get more info on what to monitor: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/wich-gauge-parameters-are-you-using-in-tunerview.27323/

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
playing with the vtec is like any other tuning aspect of an engine the thing is figuring out what setting does what. The k20c2 isn't like the old k20 when it comes to tuning it makes it harder to find info because not a lot of people have played with it yet. It will be the same for all the 2.0 if you have exactly the same setup (ex. same tune let's say ktuner base tune, with stock car. ) What can affect the tuning process is if you have a different intake or dp for example.

For anyone trying to figure things out I would suggest changing the settings by little increment and logging the data, things to check are K.Cont - Knock Control Value, K.Count - Knock Count, you can also go visit this page to get more info on what to monitor: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/wich-gauge-parameters-are-you-using-in-tunerview.27323/
Thanks for your well-written response, I'll admit I have no idea what Knock Control Value and Knock Count are being that my only experience with tuning is simply just uploading the KTuner to my car with the throttle response set to 2, but will take a look at that thread.

I do have an AEM Intake and RV6 catted downpipe so it looks like trying to figure it out myself may be my only option though I'm a bit hesitant to mess around with stuff I have zero knowledge on yet. If I'm lucky hopefully someone more familiar with this stuff than I am who also has an AEM intake and RV6 catted downpipe will chime in.

NiTr0oX

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic lx sedan
Country flag
Thanks for your well-written response, I'll admit I have no idea what Knock Control Value and Knock Count are being that my only experience with tuning is simply just uploading the KTuner to my car with the throttle response set to 2, but will take a look at that thread.

I do have an AEM Intake and RV6 catted downpipe so it looks like trying to figure it out myself may be my only option though I'm a bit hesitant to mess around with stuff I have zero knowledge on yet. If I'm lucky hopefully someone more familiar with this stuff than I am who also has an AEM intake and RV6 catted downpipe will chime in.
I am planning to go see a tuner this summer if you can wait till then I'll gladly give you some advice.

WhosClunk

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

You could watch some videos on YouTube by “Tuning by Nick”. I got a street tune and my tuner just raised things by little increments everytime and we logged to see how the car responded. Getting afr’s right and trying to get stft and ltft close to 0 and trying to reduce knock ctrl etc.. After that we messed around with vtc cam angles (or timing I think or both I don’t remember lol) for intake/exhaust did some butt dyno’s and adjusted from there. I forgot exactly what we set the timing and cam angles too but one of the flashes I def felt a bump in power. Probably did this like 15 times just make little adjustments and keep datalogging. I’m gonna do some more studying later today looking at like the k20a3 that has similar specs. I heard that Ktuner didn’t allow us to change vtec before because of the cam angle or something, im not really sure exactly how that works or what they figured out but yeah.

long_meats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe LX CVT
Country flag
I am planning to go see a tuner this summer if you can wait till then I'll gladly give you some advice.
Thanks for the offer. If your car also has an AEM Intake and Catted Downpipe then I will definitely take you up on that!

You could watch some videos on YouTube by “Tuning by Nick”. I got a street tune and my tuner just raised things by little increments everytime and we logged to see how the car responded. Getting afr’s right and trying to get stft and ltft close to 0 and trying to reduce knock ctrl etc.. After that we messed around with vtc cam angles (or timing I think or both I don’t remember lol) for intake/exhaust did some butt dyno’s and adjusted from there. I forgot exactly what we set the timing and cam angles too but one of the flashes I def felt a bump in power. Probably did this like 15 times just make little adjustments and keep datalogging. I’m gonna do some more studying later today looking at like the k20a3 that has similar specs. I heard that Ktuner didn’t allow us to change vtec before because of the cam angle or something, im not really sure exactly how that works or what they figured out but yeah.
Thanks for the info! Hmm, that does seem significantly more involved than I was expecting, and considering I have no idea what many of those terms mean it looks like I have a lot of research to do lol.

ambitiousal

AmbitiousAl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
So I just got KTuner and tuned my 2.0l. I was on 87 octane when I tuned it so I was waiting for it to be almost empty so I can fill up with 93 octane. As it was almost empy (low fuel light came on) I switched from S to L to keep the rpm high to waste more gas as I travel to the gas station. Suddenly, the dash started acting up like it does when you’re tuning it. All the lights came on the car started to go in limp mode. It was still driving but the speed reduced like it lost power. After filling up with 93 octane the car started fine and only the emission system problem showed up. I used OBDII to clear the code and everything went back to normal.

I know that is weird. Has anyone else experienced this issue before?

Do I need to re-tune it after filling up with 93 octane or the tune will catch up because I know 87 octane retards the timing.

thanks in advance

OP
OP
KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
If you get a code you should always check it to see what it's for.

The tune will adjust for the fuel quality it detects through the knock control system.
Sponsored