OBD2 software to read B & C trouble codes ?

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I have an OBD2 reader by BAFX and the Torque Pro Android software, but it only reads Powertrain trouble codes.

Is there any Android software that will read the body and chassis codes, such as a bad wheel speed sensor?

I’ve searched the forum & elsewhere but so far it appears any software just reads the P or Powertrain codes.

I also bought one of those really cheap $5 readers after I bought the BAFX reader because I was curious how they compared. The $5 unit’s circuitry is quite minimal compared to the BAFX circuit board. And IIRC it worked with Torque but not Torque Pro. IOW not all of inexpensive readers are the same, and maybe none of them can read the B or C codes.

Does anyone know if there is any Android software that can read the body and chassis codes?
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I bought a BAFX back in 2013. It uses the ELM327 chipset. From reading the spec, it looks like it can read the following

Honda Civic 10th gen OBD2 software to read B & C trouble codes ? 1637817102269

Here's the spec: https://www.elmelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ELM327DS.pdf

Here's a list of software for it: https://www.elmelectronics.com/help/obd/software/

If you know to use a terminal emulator and know binary/hex, then you can do this manually using TeraTerm. When you connect to the BAFX via bluetooth, it just shows up as a serial port on your computer or phone. Then you just open the port and follow the protocol listed in the spec.

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
@bikejog
Thanks for the information.
I looked at all the Android software listed except for the ones that were for Ford, Opel, etc.

None state that they can provide body or chassis codes. OTOH they don't state that can't provide these codes either. If any do give examples it's always about the engine, powertrain, or tuning.

I did email a couple of the companies asking if their product will show a code for a bad wheel speed sensor. I just used this to provide an example. I don't have a problem but thought it might be good to have a reader available that can read codes other than for the engine.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
@bikejog
Thanks for the information.
I looked at all the Android software listed except for the ones that were for Ford, Opel, etc.

None state that they can provide body or chassis codes. OTOH they don't state that can't provide these codes either. If any do give examples it's always about the engine, powertrain, or tuning.

I did email a couple of the companies asking if their product will show a code for a bad wheel speed sensor. I just used this to provide an example. I don't have a problem but thought it might be good to have a reader available that can read codes other than for the engine.
If you’re handy with electronics you can get an OBDII connector an Arduino nano and MCP2515 board for about $10 bucks and read all the data on the CAN bus. A lot of codes aren’t documented but there is a github project which documents a lot of interesting ones including the speed of each wheel. So while the code for a bad speed sensor is probably there somewhere it's not openly documented but you can determine if there is one or not for yourself.

https://github.com/commaai/opendbc/blob/master/honda_civic_hatchback_ex_2017_can_generated.dbc

This was a very helpful guide to figure out the CAN bus stuff:

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
If you’re handy with electronics you can get an OBDII connector an Arduino nano and MCP2515 board for about $10 bucks and read all the data on the CAN bus. A lot of codes aren’t documented but there is a github project which documents a lot of interesting ones including the speed of each wheel. So while the code for a bad speed sensor is probably there somewhere it's not openly documented but you can determine if there is one or not for yourself.

https://github.com/commaai/opendbc/blob/master/honda_civic_hatchback_ex_2017_can_generated.dbc

This was a very helpful guide to figure out the CAN bus stuff:
Thanks -
I did a quick look & will go back & give it thorough reading. It looks interesting.

OP
OP
BriteBlue

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I emailed two software companies last week that were on the list mentioned in posting #2. So far no one has replied back..

I could build the device mentioned in posting #4, but my Windows computer is a tower, not a laptop, so installing Python on it would not be practical.

If I ever get problem my little reader can’t handle I’ll just go to an auto parts store that supposedly will do a free scan.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I emailed two software companies last week that were on the list mentioned in posting #2. So far no one has replied back..

I could build the device mentioned in posting #4, but my Windows computer is a tower, not a laptop, so installing Python on it would not be practical.

If I ever get problem my little reader can’t handle I’ll just go to an auto parts store that supposedly will do a free scan.
A few observations here.
  • If you're gonna build the device from post #4, you should power the Nano with no more than 12V (use the usb 5V). You should not power it directly from the car's battery since the Nano is only rated at 7V-12V. https://store-usa.arduino.cc/products/arduino-nano?selectedStore=us. I know some people have powered it directly from the car's battery, but make sure you google it first.

Or you could choose the Arduino Every. It's slightly more expensive, but it's rated at up to 21V so you could power it directly with the car's 12V.

• My feeling is that the BAFX probably can't do B and C, but since you already have it, then you can experiment a bit. All you need is an Android BT serial terminal emulation app to talk to it per the protocol. Something like this will probably do: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.kai_morich.serial_bluetooth_terminal&hl=en_US&gl=US