Alex O

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Looking to swap the ivory on the doors to black because I want the interior darker. I called around to a couple honda dealers to see if its an individual part but its not, you have to replace the whole door panel to get that piece to black, and it comes with a hefty price tag on it thats not worth it. Has anyone done anything to along the same lines thats relatively cheap. Was thinking of covering it up with some kind of black fabric but thatll be tough since theres not much space to work from along the sides. Open to suggestions.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Alex O

Alex O

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
no problem! i eventually will do it myself too ol
I have some other ideas to see if I could do it without taking off the entire door panel, but if those dont work ill for sure try that. I didnt even know adhesive spray was a thing, ill have to check that out. Idk how well that spray will work on the fabric thats already there though.

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I have some other ideas to see if I could do it without taking off the entire door panel, but if those dont work ill for sure try that. I didnt even know adhesive spray was a thing, ill have to check that out. Idk how well that spray will work on the fabric thats already there though.
It'll be easiest if you just remove the door panel. It's not a lot of work and will make the finished product 100x nicer.

OP
OP
Alex O

Alex O

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It'll be easiest if you just remove the door panel. It's not a lot of work and will make the finished product 100x nicer.
Im guessing taking off the door panel entails I will have to remove the actual door card as well correct?

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Im guessing taking off the door panel entails I will have to remove the actual door card as well correct?
Door panel comes off first, door card comes off after.

OP
OP
Alex O

Alex O

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Door panel comes off first, door card comes off after.
Yes. Once you break the welds how do you get it back on? Is it just held by the clips after? I saw someone use metal screws but idrk how that works.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes. Once you break the welds how do you get it back on? Is it just held by the clips after? I saw someone use metal screws but idrk how that works.
I followed a diy guide to vinyl wrap the door cards and, on mine, used black microsuede. In the diy, dude instructed to cut the plastic welds and replace with a screws. Worked well for me. If you have a 4 door, the welds you cut by the door handle have shallow "wells," so I used thick rubber backed washers to pull the screw back a bit. Still fucked up a little and the tip of the screw I used ended up making a little whitehead looking mark on the passenger-facing side, but you have to be looking for it. I'll try and find the link (or my post) and post it up in here when I get to a computer in 15 minutes.

OP
OP
Alex O

Alex O

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I followed a diy guide to vinyl wrap the door cards and, on mine, used black microsuede. In the diy, dude instructed to cut the plastic welds and replace with a screws. Worked well for me. If you have a 4 door, the welds you cut by the door handle have shallow "wells," so I used thick rubber backed washers to pull the screw back a bit. Still fucked up a little and the tip of the screw I used ended up making a little whitehead looking mark on the passenger-facing side, but you have to be looking for it. I'll try and find the link (or my post) and post it up in here when I get to a computer in 15 minutes.
Sounds good, but overall does everything fit like it normally did?

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shit man, I completely spaced on getting you links. My bad

here's my original post with pics in the "what did you do to your civic today" thread: https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...r-civic-today-ii.14492/page-1307#post-1033494
If you look closely at the 3rd picture, you can see the little whitehead looking dot below and to the rear of the door lock/handle

the DIY guide I used as reference: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/interior-door-panel-card-removal-and-wrap.27180/

and the screws I used were #8 x ½" truss screws from Home Depot instead of the flat head phillips ones in the DIY guide. I put #8 washers on all of them for shits and giggles, and I had some #8 rubber-backed washers that I used for the screws by the rear door handles. I bought two 50-packs of the screws. One 50-pack isn't quite enough to do all 4 doors

Last edited:

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds good, but overall does everything fit like it normally did?
To answer your question, yes, everything fits like stock.

If you're going fabric, apply the adhesive evenly and liberally. I first tried a light-ish but complete layer of 3m Super 77 adhesive (applied to both door card and fabric), and that was.. alright. Tried Gorilla Glue spray adhesive and that shit was garbage and the adhesive released after some time, but the fabric stayed in place since it was sandwiched between plastic in some places. Third attempt, I was far more liberal with the adhesive, did 2 coats on both plastic and fabric, and started applying once the adhesive was tacky, but didn't come off when I touched a spot. Haven't had a problem since I re-did it all.

edit: oh, and as far as cutting the plastic welds. I literally used a utility knife. I broke both tips for 2 blades before I figured out what angle to hit those welds at for the cleanest cut.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alex O

Alex O

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To answer your question, yes, everything fits like stock.

If you're going fabric, apply the adhesive evenly and liberally. I first tried a light-ish but complete layer of 3m Super 77 adhesive (applied to both door card and fabric), and that was.. alright. Tried Gorilla Glue spray adhesive and that shit was garbage and the adhesive released after some time, but the fabric stayed in place since it was sandwiched between plastic in some places. Third attempt, I was far more liberal with the adhesive, did 2 coats on both plastic and fabric, and started applying once the adhesive was tacky, but didn't come off when I touched a spot. Haven't had a problem since I re-did it all.
Your all good man, looks fantastic what you did. I only plan on doing it to the front 2 because i’m getting black seat covers. So i didn’t quite get it, did you use adhesive spray or something else?

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Adhesive spray to mount the fabric to the door, screws and existing clips to hold on the door card in place of the plastic welds that got cut out (once you cut the lip and melted over parts of the plastic weld, you'll see a little "well" you can use for the screws). Any adhesive that's being used to hold the door card on was overspray.
Sponsored