DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade 2016-civic-interior-light-bulbs

No one really likes the yellowish lights on the interior. This is how I changed mine to white. I had some extra T10 194 size LED bulbs so I figured I'd change the interior. For the interior map lights you'll need 2 and for the dome light you'll need 1. Do this at your own risk please. Be gentle on the interior plastics. I recommend doing this in the day time so you don't have to risk touching a hot bulb and burning your fingers. If the LED bulbs do not work, try flipping them. If you somehow blow a fuse, the fuse to check is #21 under the hood. It will be a red 10Amp fuse. There will be a replacement as well as a fuse puller under the fuse cover.

Due to the limited size that there is under the plastic, I recommend a smaller LED bulb. I used a 5 chip bulb and the light output is very nice.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade 2016-civic-interior-light-bulbs1

Get yourself some T10 194 size LED bulbs with the color you want. White has that nice crisp luxurious look to it so I choose white, but you can choose any color that you'd like.

You'll need a flat head screwdriver with the flattest end you can find.

For the map lights stick your flat head screwdriver at the areas I have the flat head to and gently pry open each side little by little. You do not want to put too much force and break the plastic.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade 2016-civic-interior-light-bulbs2

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade 2016-civic-interior-light-bulbs3

Pull the bulb out and replace with the new led bulb you have. There will be a push pin you can press to see if the light works or not once the cover is off. If the bulb doesn't work, flip the bulb around and try it again. Repeat on other side.

Before:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade 2016-civic-interior-light-bulbs4

After:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade 2016-civic-interior-light-bulbs5

For the rear dome light there are two points you can use your flat head screw driver to pull out. The flat head in the picture is at one of the points and the other point will be on the other side of the switch in the general area as the first. Carefully pull the cover off. The bulb is side ways so you may have to use the flat head to help you push the bulb out. Install the new bulb and replace the cover after checking to see if the bulb works.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade 2016-civic-interior-light-bulbs6

Before:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade 2016-civic-interior-light-bulbs7

After:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade 2016-civic-interior-light-bulbs8

For the trunk light there are two openings where you can put your fingers in and press the bulb cover tabs to help you pull it off. Once the cover is loose pull it off and unclip the harness to make working with the bulb easier. Remove old bulb and replace with new LED bulb. Reinstall in reverse order and don't forget to plug in the harness.

Edit* Use a flat head screw driver at the location I have mine and press. It'll be way easier. The lens should get loose and drop down a bit.

Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade 20151202_163518_zpszpgypd3f-

Before:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade 2016-civic-interior-light-bulbs9

After:
Honda Civic 10th gen DIY: Interior / Trunk Light bulb change/upgrade 2016-civic-interior-light-bulbs10

Last edited:

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
nice... it still amazes me why Honda can't just use LEDs on their interior lights... sure it costs more so maybe save it for a higher trim? but nice DIY and look!!

cktx8388

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Very nice! I think I'll make this modification on my car too seeing how easy it is.

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase

crea78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Accord Sport, 2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
This is one of the first mods I do to any car I buy. It's very nice to have alot of light in the cabin when coming to your car at night.

civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
nice... it still amazes me why Honda can't just use LEDs on their interior lights... sure it costs more so maybe save it for a higher trim? but nice DIY and look!!
I think it's the more enthusiast set that cares. Most people probably couldn't tell you if they have traditional or LED bulbs in their interior.

Nice upgrade OP. What a difference a few bulbs can make. And you don't even realize it until you see the comparison pics. :thumbsup:

hondafan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex 2012 Odyssey Lx
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Beat me to it :banghead:. Love the look it gives to the car can't wait to install mine this weekend!!!!:spaz:

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean blue EX hatch has joined my 2016 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
nice one more thing I need to do now...

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's the more enthusiast set that cares. Most people probably couldn't tell you if they have traditional or LED bulbs in their interior.

Nice upgrade OP. What a difference a few bulbs can make. And you don't even realize it until you see the comparison pics. :thumbsup:
Very true. Most buyers could care less if the car had LED bulbs or Halogen.

very nice. would definitely do.
Beat me to it :banghead:. Love the look it gives to the car can't wait to install mine this weekend!!!!:spaz:
Make sure to post pictures!

nice one more thing I need to do now...
haha I tend to make people spend money on their cars haha forgive me in advance :p

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
haha I tend to make people spend money on their cars haha forgive me in advance :p
Got a deck lid spoiler and wheels and tires?

I will post pic's and you will want them!! :)

At least the lights are cheap!

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
Got a deck lid spoiler and wheels and tires?

I will post pic's and you will want them!! :)

At least the lights are cheap!
I'm waiting patiently for a nice aftermarket spoiler to come out that will stretch the whole length of the trunk, but soon i will! :D
I have my eyes on some new 18 wheels. I'll put the wheels I have on my FRS(5x100 and 5x114.3) on the Civic to see how it'll look.

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just order up some Yorkim blue LED's pack of 10 for $19 on Amazon.

jdewd250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm waiting patiently for a nice aftermarket spoiler to come out that will stretch the whole length of the trunk, but soon i will! :D
I have my eyes on some new 18 wheels. I'll put the wheels I have on my FRS(5x100 and 5x114.3) on the Civic to see how it'll look.

I only went with 17's, up from the stock 16's on my EX, and kept the tires as close to the same circumference as possible, since Honda's 17's are running 215-50/17 that's what I went with on the tires. :)

OP
OP

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase