meclaymore

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm looking to do my valve cover gasket on my 2017 Civic Si since it's leaking a bit.

I got the gasket from Honda but was wondering if people were buying Hondabond as there is like four little peas of Hondabond from factory. Or are people using something else. Also Hondabond 4 or Hondabond HT?

Another question to those that have done it, do you lose coolant during job as you disconnect lines? Wondering if I need to buy coolant for it.
Sponsored

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Don't waist any time before replacing your gasket because usually it leaks on the starter and you will have to replace it. You might have an intermittent starting problem.
What engine do you have, I'll give you the instruction for doing it.

OP
OP
meclaymore

meclaymore

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Don't waist any time before replacing your gasket because usually it leaks on the starter and you will have to replace it. You might have an intermittent starting problem.
What engine do you have, I'll give you the instruction for doing it.
I have the L15B7 (1.5L) in the Si. Thanks

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I'm looking to do my valve cover gasket on my 2017 Civic Si since it's leaking a bit.

I got the gasket from Honda but was wondering if people were buying Hondabond as there is like four little peas of Hondabond from factory. Or are people using something else. Also Hondabond 4 or Hondabond HT?

Another question to those that have done it, do you lose coolant during job as you disconnect lines? Wondering if I need to buy coolant for it.
I finally did mine and painted my valve cover. All you really need is the gasket, honda bond, and of course tools. You do NOT need coolant because you do not need to open those lines. There are air recirculation lines that go over the valve cover that do need to be removed, the rest of the lines and harnesses can simply be moved out of the way during removal and install.

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve Cover Gasket Questions 20210918_154101

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I finally did mine and painted my valve cover. All you really need is the gasket, honda bond, and of course tools. You do NOT need coolant because you do not need to open those lines. There are air recirculation lines that go over the valve cover that do need to be removed, the rest of the lines and harnesses can simply be moved out of the way during removal and install.

20210918_154101.jpg
Looks great!

OP
OP
meclaymore

meclaymore

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I did mine successfully a couple days after this thread was created. Replaced the same four corners with new hondabond. Honda bond was expensive though at $25.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did mine successfully a couple days after this thread was created. Replaced the same four corners with new hondabond. Honda bond was expensive though at $25.
Nice. Permatex ultra grey is the same as Honda bond apparently but cheaper. Did you have any struggle getting the plug seals on and around the plug holes?

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Nice. Permatex ultra grey is the same as Honda bond apparently but cheaper. Did you have any struggle getting the plug seals on and around the plug holes?
Not who you quoted but I didn't have issues with the plug seals going on, the service manual states to oil the plug seal on the underside of the valve cover I assume to prevent friction on those seals

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well I put in on. The torque value for the bolts is so low! I put just bond just in the corners. Also note that when I torque down the bolt the paint chipped slightly under the head around the circumference of the bolt. Did anyone else have that issue?

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve Cover Gasket Questions B8269DDD-B495-48E8-95D1-C95F98B6F28C

OsirisPalko

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Also note that when I torque down the bolt the paint chipped slightly under the head around the circumference of the bolt. Did anyone else have that issue?

B8269DDD-B495-48E8-95D1-C95F98B6F28C.jpeg
This is normal for DIY really, unless you cure the paint in an oven or some other way, it gets cured by the engine heat (depending on the formula paint you get). Other painting methods that aren't rattle can are better for this to begin with.

OP
OP
meclaymore

meclaymore

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Well I put in on. The torque value for the bolts is so low! I put just bond just in the corners. Also note that when I torque down the bolt the paint chipped slightly under the head around the circumference of the bolt. Did anyone else have that issue?

Dope. I wish I had time to paint mine, but I needed to get it done asap.

Frank Rallye

First Name
Francesco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC X SPORT+
Country flag

Probably this is the reason why Spoon did not paint the bolts spots on his own valve cover.

Honda Civic 10th gen Valve Cover Gasket Questions P_20211010_144820_vHDR_On_HP
Sponsored