Amazing what just a 10 degree drop in temp can do.

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Think of it this way. Colder air is denser in oxygen and basically the turbo doesn't need to work as hard to build boost. My favorite time to drive my car aggressively is on a nice 50 degree early fall morning. The roads are empty and my car is a rocket!
Yeah... I mean I understand that cooler air is denser and all but I wonder if there are any solid figures out there showing a difference in power vs ambient air temp.

Lately every morning when I'm in my Civic with that Phearable 1.5R tune I get nothing but smiles.

I just can't wait until I'm in an area of lower elevation and better gas.

And after I typed this I find this gem.

https://www.superchargerforums.com/threads/the-effects-of-temperature-on-horsepower.597/
Sponsored

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah... I mean I understand that cooler air is denser and all but I wonder if there are any solid figures out there showing a difference in power vs ambient air temp.

Lately every morning when I'm in my Civic with that Phearable 1.5R tune I get nothing but smiles.

I just can't wait until I'm in an area of lower elevation and better gas.

And after I typed this I find this gem.

https://www.superchargerforums.com/threads/the-effects-of-temperature-on-horsepower.597/
Not 100% sure if I did my math correctly

226/hp1 = sqrt(555/525)
226/hp1= sqrt (1.057)
226/hp1 = 1.028
hp1 = 219.84

so 30 degreed delta results in appx 6-7 hp diff.

It's such a small increase but I wonder why it's so much more noticeable?

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think a lot of the faster feeling performance comes from the easier, quicker turbo spool as much as any an actual gains in power.

Last edited:

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I forgot the gas mileage as well. I was wondering how some of you guys were getting 35+mpg. Best I could do was 32 and that was driving it like an old lady. 95 degree temps and I hit 38 on the same route with a little bit of spirited driving.
A lot of it depends on climate and how you drive, traffic, etc. I managed 48mpg on a 33 mile drive this week, no traffic, mostly down hill/coasting, and it was 70F since it was 7 in the morning. Last night I went for a much more spirited drive and barely managed 28mpg haha.

Temperature, atmospheric pressure, traffic, your right foot, what kind of tires you have, and other factors all play into just how good or bad of fuel mileage you get.

04sthemi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
Living in Florida, I could definitely tell a difference from a nice 45-50degree crips night An a 90 degree muggy ass day

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^ Humidity is a killer. Those water molecules means there's even less oxygen available.

A lot of it depends on climate and how you drive, traffic, etc. I managed 48mpg on a 33 mile drive this week, no traffic, mostly down hill/coasting, and it was 70F since it was 7 in the morning. Last night I went for a much more spirited drive and barely managed 28mpg haha.

Temperature, atmospheric pressure, traffic, your right foot, what kind of tires you have, and other factors all play into just how good or bad of fuel mileage you get.
You nailed it rwk. That's why mileage comparison threads are silly. There are just way too many variables. The great thing with tuning is that if you take it easy, mileage isn't that far off from stock.

My all time worst trip mileage was a little under 18 mpg and my best, 50 mpg. The low number was me with a passenger who wanted to see what my car felt like going all out. I probably did 7-8 pulls (TSP 1) in 15 minutes. The 50 mpg happened in cool weather with basically no stops and no traffic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Velonici

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
I manage between 37-40 mpg calculated at fill-ups. I had to take a different route to work over the past 2 weeks due to road construction and I noticed my fuel mileage went down to mid 36s. The MAJOR contributor, I think, is the speed difference. On my normal route to work, I get off of a 75mph freeway and take a back road at ~60mph the rest of the way to work. On my 2-week detour, I was taking the freeway another 10 miles and the main highway I was exiting onto was about 70mph most of the rest of my drive. I only made it to work a couple of minutes faster but it really impacted my fuel mileage. Today I was able to take my usual route again and made it to 39.5 mpg on the drive in. If you can stand to go down to 65mph you'd probably see another improvement.

Another thing I found that helped improve my mileage was to oscillate slightly on speed when I'm on the freeway. I don't really use the cruise control anymore and when I get to hilly sections, I'll accelerate a couple mph down the hill and let it carry me up the next one, where I'll usually wind up a couple mph lower than my desired speed. I have the liberty of traveling in midwestern KS where there isn't hardly any traffic in the morning. That probably wouldn't work out too well in a busy city.

There are several hyper mileage tips out there, some I'm not entirely willing to do, but I'm pretty content if I can keep it around 40mpg on my work commute.
My drive is literally 92% highway (I actually calculated it lol). Set the cruise at 75 and just sit the second to left lane. 75 is the crusing speed on the highway here. Im really curious what Ill be getting on my trip to Cali next week. Will probably just set it at 65-70.

OP
OP
Velonici

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
As many perks as it has, adulting can suck! Been trudging through adulthood for almost 40 years.
Is being able to go out anytime I want and buy and cake and eat it all without judgement really worth all these bills and responsibilities...? Turn 40 next year. SUUUCKS.

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
Is being able to go out anytime I want and buy and cake and eat it all without judgement really worth all these bills and responsibilities...? Turn 40 next year. SUUUCKS.
My middle daughter - turned 22 yesterday - says this adult shit sucks all the time. :confused1:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't need no stinkin' cruise control!

Seriously I never use it. Most of my previous cars were manuals and with this CVT there isn't as much driver interaction as I'm using to. Cruise control would put me to sleep. ;)

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Before I traded my SI for the Type R, I was getting over 35 combined, and well over 40-45 on some trips. Temps do make a huge difference with heat soak. On both the SI and Type R. The Type R so far is getting 26.6 combined.
Sponsored