Is my car overheating?

Le0L111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hope anyone can provide some insights into my case. I really don't have any idea/comparison about it.

Living in PHX, AZ. The ambient temperature (at 6 pm) is 106 deg F today. The car is Hondata'ed, also with PRL HVI, HKS Legamax catback, HKS FP and DP.

Had a little bit 3rd gear short pulls at local driving and reached around 60 mph. The IAT is 149 deg F and IAT2 is 147 deg F from Hondata Mobile.

I am wondering if my car is overheating or not? Is there a need to get a bigger intercooler? If so, just get the core or the core & pipes bundle? (the pipes really helps?)

Thanks for any responses. :beer::beer::beer: Oh, fxxking hot, I need some beer now.
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Overheating is mainly a coolant temp thing, not intake temp. However, those intake temps are super high and will be limiting your max power/boost. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a fact of life with these cars in 90+ ambients. You should definitely get a bigger intercooler, and look into some other heat management things like turbo/downpipe blankets and gold wrapping the inlet pipe/intake. I live in Florida and know this problem all too well.

OP
OP
Le0L111

Le0L111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Overheating is mainly a coolant temp thing, not intake temp. However, those intake temps are super high and will be limiting your max power/boost. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a fact of life with these cars in 90+ ambients. You should definitely get a bigger intercooler, and look into some other heat management things like turbo/downpipe blankets and gold wrapping the inlet pipe/intake. I live in Florida and know this problem all too well.
Thanks! Any suggestions about the intercooler? Say, just the core or the bundle.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks! Any suggestions about the intercooler? Say, just the core or the bundle.
The pipes are more about reliability than anything, the OEM ones are known to tear. Most people run PRL.

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
Have heard good things and seen good results from Mishimoto intakes. Friend says they are known for their radiators in general. Lots of ppl also run PRL and are totally happy.

OP
OP
Le0L111

Le0L111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Supposedly the HKS IC with PRL piping is a killer combo.
I’m just running the PRL IC alone and am happy with it in FL
Thanks for sharing your experience. Just odered a PRL IC core this morning.

I am curious about the temp drop you have observed on your car.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your experience. Just odered a PRL IC core this morning.

I am curious about the temp drop you have observed on your car.
You'll still see temperatures up to 150 range if you've heat soaked. It usually takes at least five minutes of driving on the highway for things to come back down. It helps if you give the beans a couple times to cool off the system.
Honda Civic 10th gen Is my car overheating? Screenshot from 2021-09-08 21-29-53

I have the PRL intercooler with charge pipes, BTW.

hesitation

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 // 2007 AP2
Country flag
my IAT goes to 165-170 when i'm on the track, 150 not a big issue. if your car is actually overheating you will get a message on the dash telling you to pull over to cool the car down. this happens to me once the ECT gets over 270ish, but the temps will cool down if i stop pushing and just do a cool down lap.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
my IAT goes to 165-170 when i'm on the track, 150 not a big issue. if your car is actually overheating you will get a message on the dash telling you to pull over to cool the car down. this happens to me once the ECT gets over 270ish, but the temps will cool down if i stop pushing and just do a cool down lap.
Those temps are excessive high, you really don't want to reach more than 105 ~107 IAT on track , also the ECT no more than 240 F, the engine loose a lot of power , your motor is stock?

hesitation

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 // 2007 AP2
Country flag
Those temps are excessive high, you really don't want to reach more than 105 ~107 IAT on track , also the ECT no more than 240 F, the engine loose a lot of power , your motor is stock?
motor is stock, yeah. definitely losing alot of power once the temps reach up there so i am trying to combat the heat. it just happens if i am running more than 2-3 hotlaps. i'm pretty sure my pre-turbo IAT reaches 105 just street driving so... yeah lol. ECT stays around 180-190 normally though.

my varis hood just came in, and i am getting an oil cooler installed for next year's track season.
Sponsored

Last edited: