Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

Just wrapped up another blog that I wanted to share with the forums and community. This one is in regards to tuning. More specifically some of the questions we get asked the most when it comes to tuning. I outlined the top 5x questions that we get asked the most in regards to tuning. For some, you will know all the answers but for others, this is tuning 101. So please share this with the new crowd and lets spread some knowledge

Top 5 Questions About Tuning Civics and Accords

If you have any other questions you want to be answered drop them below.
Sponsored

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I have 1 but I think the question would remain unanswered for near future:
What is maximum wheel torque that the CVT could handle?

Tyler.iguess

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
when i had a cvt i looked this up,. seems to be about 250wtq. but i didnt test it or even tune the cvt. ended up with an si instead

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Not sure there's a definitive number. OTS tunes tend to keep it to around 270ish and limit it below a certain rpm range.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure there's a definitive number. OTS tunes tend to keep it to around 270ish and limit it below a certain rpm range.
I think there are just so many factors that trying to put a cold hard number on the failure point is almost impossible. Just too many variables like where the torque peaks and how the car is driven.

I tend to err on the side of don't push your luck by trying to find the limit of the CVT. Be conservative. I think the Phearable CVT tunes have a great balance of peak power and safety.

Last edited:

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
I think there are just so many factors that trying to put a cold hard number on the failure point is almost impossible. Just too many variables like where the torque peaks and how the car is driven.

I tend to err on the side of don't push your luck by trying to find the limit of the CVT. Be conservative. I think the Phearable CVT tunes have a great balance of peak power and safety.
I agree. There's just too many variables, especially the driver variable. John and Derek have done amazing things with these tunes to take our econoboxes to a different level.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. There's just too many variables, especially the driver variable. John and Derek have done amazing things with these tunes to take our econoboxes to a different level.
We do have some guys like xjoshuax89 putting down some amazing numbers. His CVT Civic was dyno'd at 302whp / 267wtq on a custom tune by Derek. He's running FBO with the W1 turbo and he's on flex fuel. And he's been on that setup, reliably, for over 20,000 miles.

But, would I say that means that 267 wtq is totally "safe" for the CVT? It's been safe for him with his setup and his custom IMW tune. That doesn't 100% mean Joe Smith's turbo CVT won't fail if he runs the same power numbers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Correct, Hard to put a number on it, We seem to land in the 260 wtq range for limits.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Correct, Hard to put a number on it, We seem to land in the 260 wtq range for limits.
In that case, we may use maximum safe boost range for CVT with full bolt on & big turbo like W1. I think this could be useful reference especially for consumers who have no choice but to do self tuning for various reasons.

Mlock757

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda civic sport sedan
Country flag
2.0 na guys included here? Lol we the ones that need a little boost ?

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's another one. 27Won intake modification to fit CVT car with aftermaket transmission cooler. I live in city where average ambient temperature hovering at 90 F with high humidity so trans cooler is a must.

Always wanted to have 27Won intake but the fact I need CVT cooler pull me back.
Sponsored