Overheating at Track...Let me try this again!

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Mind you, I didn't read any of the first 4 pages to be completely honest in case it has been brought up. It seems to me the main issue is getting heat out of the engine bay. Has anyone tried a ridiculous amount of vents on the hood or something along these lines. I was actually considering a track only hood, massively vented, without any other cooling mods. Seems to me, based on reading around, most cooling upgrades barely get any real improvements.

Something like this from Evasive? Or any other brand.
EVS-FK8-RS-H-4_640x640.jpg
Your question is answered in my thread of overheating.

Venting is great at reducing pressure. You want more pressure at the face of the heat exchanger and less pressure behind it. The best design IMO is the Varis hood. It dumps the heat right above the turbo and the air exiting the radiator. The NACA ducts also help extract heat through the sides and out the fender vents. Placing vents everywhere randomly would probably yield mediocre results

QuasarMotors

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quasarracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CTR
Country flag
Your question is answered in my thread of overheating.

Venting is great at reducing pressure. You want more pressure at the face of the heat exchanger and less pressure behind it. The best design IMO is the Varis hood. It dumps the heat right above the turbo and the air exiting the radiator. The NACA ducts also help extract heat through the sides and out the fender vents. Placing vents everywhere randomly would probably yield mediocre results
This above. Most effective spot to place a vent is 3"-5" back from the radiator. This spot just so happen to be where the turbo and down pipe sits as well so it works as a dual purpose. While stopped it allows the heat to vent straight out and while in motion allows for a low pressure to extract air. Making ducting so air can't escape around the radiator will increase cooling as well (these cars have decent ducting already).

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I have put a Trackspec vent on the front of an OEM hood. It definitely helps keep coolant down and becomes very hot. OTOH, it is not overly aggressive and looks good. I was at an event recently with another CTR who has the Race Louver vent which is much larger and more aggressive meaning that it disrupts the airflow over the hood and likely creates a much larger low pressure area making it significantly more effective. I think it sits a bit too far back on the hood but not by much. I suspect it disrupts the aero on the car somewhat but works the best at cooling. I would also suspect the Race Louver vent is more effective that any of the aftermarket hoods but to be fair, I don't have any data and it does NOT look pretty.

QuasarMotors

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.quasarracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CTR
Country flag
Little sneak peak of what I got in the mail yesterday and started to work on last night. This is the newly designed race spec RaceLouver. It deletes the oem scoop for a center mount louvers. During mock the front center is over the turbo/downpipe so it will also be effective at idle. Structure of the hood is still strong and the intake seal is not compromised. Once I get the hood wrapped and installed I’ll post an update.

Keep in mind this louver is designed for maximum performance. I have a BUNCH of logs at the track so will be excited to compare the data with this installed. More to follow.

Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating at Track...Let me try this again! 8F5BDCD5-30EC-4792-A234-AA244D067CBE

Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating at Track...Let me try this again! 523EAE7B-E6E8-4BD7-A098-ED476ED7B04A

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Little sneak peak of what I got in the mail yesterday and started to work on last night. This is the newly designed race spec RaceLouver. It deletes the oem scoop for a center mount louvers. During mock the front center is over the turbo/downpipe so it will also be effective at idle. Structure of the hood is still strong and the intake seal is not compromised. Once I get the hood wrapped and installed I’ll post an update.

Keep in mind this louver is designed for maximum performance. I have a BUNCH of logs at the track so will be excited to compare the data with this installed. More to follow.

8F5BDCD5-30EC-4792-A234-AA244D067CBE.jpeg

523EAE7B-E6E8-4BD7-A098-ED476ED7B04A.jpeg
Awesome bro! Thanks keeping us posted with this. I truly think it'll make a substantial difference.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag

8F5BDCD5-30EC-4792-A234-AA244D067CBE.jpeg

523EAE7B-E6E8-4BD7-A098-ED476ED7B04A.jpeg
It looks like it should help with cooling a lot but that is a LOT of structure to be cutting out. I would be nervous about crash worthiness cutting so much of the hood out.

On a related note, how hard is it to swap out hoods? If you found a junk hood, i could see cutting it up to put this vent in and swapping it in when you hit the track.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It looks like it should help with cooling a lot but that is a LOT of structure to be cutting out. I would be nervous about crash worthiness cutting so much of the hood out.

On a related note, how hard is it to swap out hoods? If you found a junk hood, i could see cutting it up to put this vent in and swapping it in when you hit the track.
I bought a second OEM hood to put the vent in. Switching is not difficult but with the trackspec one, you need to get the hood scoop which also means you need the air deflector that directs air from the scoop to the side vents. Doesn't look like you need either with the Race Louver vent. Certainly much cheaper than an aftermarket hood.

On a side note, the bolts that hold the hood in place are very soft (likely designed that way so as not to strip the welded in nuts in the hood). I would suggest getting some extras.

OP
OP
dsm_mikey

dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
I am going back and forth about whether to remove the C&R intercooler and go back to the oem intercooler along with the other changes I will be making before the next event.

-Currently have installed and had overheating issues at the last HPDE event (72 degrees ambient temp at Road America 4.048 Mile track)
1. C&R Track radiator (Leaving Installed)
2. C&R Intercooler (Considering removing and going back to oem)

-Changes before next event:
1. Race louvers hood vent added to a replacement oem hood.
2. Larger aftermarket center grill
3. Removing C&R intercooler and going back to oem until coolant temps are not rising when pushing the car on track.

I figure I can always (and hope to) add the C&R intercooler back into the mix after temperatures are completely under control.

What is everyone's opinion on this?
-Keep the C&R intercooler with the other changes above OR go back to OEM intercooler until temps are successfully managed throughout a complete session (20-30 minutes)?

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
ok, dumb question. what is the thought process behind removing the IC and radiator, that has to be counter intuitive to solving the heating issues right? if anything, it might make more sense to keep the radiator and put the oem intercooler back on so theres less air impedance to the radiator but then youre going to suffer from heatsoak and higher IATs as a result..

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ok, dumb question. what is the thought process behind removing the IC and radiator, that has to be counter intuitive to solving the heating issues right? if anything, it might make more sense to keep the radiator and put the oem intercooler back on so theres less air impedance to the radiator but then youre going to suffer from heatsoak and higher IATs as a result..
I didn't see any mention of removing the radiator, just the intercooler.

dsm_mikey, really looking forward to your results with the bigger Race Louvers.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I didn't see any mention of removing the radiator, just the intercooler.

dsm_mikey, really looking forward to your results with the bigger Race Louvers.
doh, my bad. For some reason I misread, my bad.

then essentially its going to be a trade off between cooling ECT and higher IATs/Heat soak

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Mike, I like the sounds of the hood vent and the larger aftermarket grill. I would try that first and leave the C&R i/c still in there..

I would also highly recommend a turbo blanket if you don't have one yet.

Yomny

First Name
Yomny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
Really looking forward to how this will turn out.
Sponsored