The dealers are crazy

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
. I wish it was like Canada and it was illegal to sell over MSRP, but oh well... GL!

I don't know why people keep repeating this. It certainly is not the case. Not in Quebec, anyways...
Honda dealerships in Quebec, just like everywhere in Canada, aren't allowed to sell over MSRP. It's not dictated by laws so it's not illegal to, just Honda Canada itself not allowing their Canadian dealerships to sell over MSRP.
Sponsored

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you know if they're able to do "add-in" items like a lot of US dealerships do as well and charge for those? A lot here will be like "mud-flaps: $495!"
This is how I handle crap like that.

"You put those on the car, I didn't ask you to nor do I want them. Remove all the extra add-ons and I'd like to purchase the vehicle."

When I bought my Civic (cert pre-owned) they tried to hit me with mud-flaps, nitrogen inflated tires, and a few other bs.

I looked around and saw all Civics, and almost every other car on the lot had mud-flaps. That was a no, considering most new vehicles come with mud-flaps from the factory. And nitrogen in the tires... 80% of our atmosphere is nitrogen! Nope.

At the end of the day, dealerships sell cars - and make very little on the car sell - the cash flow is with non-warranty repairs

OP
OP
Gabbman

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2017 Range Rover HSE
Country flag
quick update for those that are looking. I sent out a round of emails . initial response is msrp plus 5 k from most and those that asked 10 k when I responded I have already gotten better they quickly drop to 5k. so it seems they know. im only interested in white so and in New Jersey (winter is coming) !!!!! the local dealers in nj are playing the come in and we will see ( but we already refused offers of 3k over) but ill ask the manager. lol

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
Do you know if they're able to do "add-in" items like a lot of US dealerships do as well and charge for those? A lot here will be like "mud-flaps: $495!"
Yes i have seen one like that, they installed red carbon fiber option on everything, shift knob, etc and called it a "special edition" with mark up. It was in Toronto from 2 years ago. It is uncommon I'll say.
However not sure what would Honda Canada do if they take notice of it.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
quick update for those that are looking. I sent out a round of emails . initial response is msrp plus 5 k from most and those that asked 10 k when I responded I have already gotten better they quickly drop to 5k. so it seems they know. im only interested in white so and in New Jersey (winter is coming) !!!!! the local dealers in nj are playing the come in and we will see ( but we already refused offers of 3k over) but ill ask the manager. lol
You're going to land between 3-5k depending on region over MSRP - that's the hard market right now imo - Most are trying to hold to 10k and digging in HARD.

OP
OP
Gabbman

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2017 Range Rover HSE
Country flag
ive even got some 15k over quotes just a moment ago. the good is a few sent emails showing as you stated 3-5k over so im able to easily get them to drop using that. if anyone Needs the dealer emails to assist in the negotiating let me know I have tons now lol. but you are dead on 3 is the best I've heard today for the white. and my nj dealer said bring the email and the " manager may be willing to do it"

CTRDre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #38346
Country flag
With cars like these, I avoid used. It may look stock but never know what's been done and removed.
CPO ftw.. Picked up my CPO 2021 with 2.4k miles on it from Paragon in Queens (don't go there) for 38.9k back at the end of April.. Before the extreme craziness started with the pricing on CTRs or any 'enthusiast' car (or 3 row SUV for that matter.. Telluride prices are on par with CTR prices).. Had to fly from Vegas to get it though.. Be glad you're not on the west coast.. CTR prices are even worse here..

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
It will eventually come down just like it did when the refresh came out. As of now at least in my area, we are getting close to 100 in stock, just sitting there with markups from $7500 to $15000. When Honda announces the new CTR, dealers will sell what they have in stock at MSRP. One dealers has 7 in stock in my area. Now, I will say the limited edition is probably being sold at ridiculous prices because either a) the dealership owner is eventually going to buy the car at MSRP and wants foot traffic for other models or b) there are some stupid people in the area who would pay M3/C8 money for the special edition. It's actually cheaper to import an R34 from overseas than to buy a CTR lol

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
ive even got some 15k over quotes just a moment ago. the good is a few sent emails showing as you stated 3-5k over so im able to easily get them to drop using that. if anyone Needs the dealer emails to assist in the negotiating let me know I have tons now lol. but you are dead on 3 is the best I've heard today for the white. and my nj dealer said bring the email and the " manager may be willing to do it"
Honestly if you want a white 21 there is a cherry one close to you (East coast) in the members for sale.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I'm gonna laugh when the market craters in a year or two because just like gravity, what goes up must come down.
I'm not going to laugh, but I will be telling people "I told you so".

They act as if they did not live through the events that occurred 10 years ago...

CTRDre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
CPO is no guarantee. My dealer marked mine as CPO and it was FBO.
You should be fine. You have it in writing that the parts were already on the vehicle before you purchased it.. Pictures.. Video.. You're good. They have to honor any warranty work.. even if caused by the FBO parts.

CTRDre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh, I'm not buying but that's just my point. I bought new, went FBO + tuned + flex fuel, then decided to sell and revert everything to stock and they marked it as CPO when they listed it to sell. They have an obligation to honor warranty, sure, but good luck trying to get them to honor it if there's been a flashed ECU or they notice any other signs of modding that they could even try to relate back to the problem that weren't disclosed when the next buyer purchases the vehicle because it's CPO. Yes, yes, I know the Magnuson-Moss act, but like I tell everyone, have fun paying the fees against Honda if it got to that and lawyers got involved.
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you meant a CPO CTR was sold to you in FBO status, lol.. What you described happens quite a bit. I've done it myself. I don't plan on going that far on this car though. Drop-in filter, CBE, and wheels/tires is all i really want. I'll get a hp boost once the temps drop below 90 consistently here.. but she pulls strong, even in 110+ weather, lol.

EDIT: Although, I must say.. I was rather surprised that a CPO 21' CTR was going for 3-4k under comparable vehicles on the west coast. It was at Paragon Honda, in Queens, for 3 months. The sales guy said the original owner got it as a 'hold me over' until Paragon got an LE in. Hence the low miles etc... But still.. figured it woulda been scooped up awhile ago.. The CPO sticker on the car said "$46,999".. I LOL'd when I saw that, considering I got it for $38.9k. Only reasons I could think of as to why no one purchased this particular R is.. 1) It's CBP.. Probably the least popular color (it was my #1 choice) 2) It's a $40k+ Civic in NYC.. most folks aren't down for that 3) The suspension settings aren't customizable (no +R drivetrain w/ Comfort suspension).. and in NYC, that could be a problem.. I even had a friend who's in the used car auction business (carvana and carmax are his biggest customers) run the VIN to find any 'hinky' stuff with it. He reached out to a Honda contact and everything came back clean. Booked tix (mad cheap, even on a weeks notice).. With the Uber from JFK to Paragon, gas, hotels, food.. It was still about $600 cheaper than shipping it, lol.. And it made for a great poorman's cannonball run for me and the gf.

Point is, OP, KEEP LOOKING. You might get lucky. And depending on where you live.. You don't have to pay sales tax to DMV on private party sales. I would totally buy a member's car.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51112

I'm not going to laugh, but I will be telling people "I told you so".

They act as if they did not live through the events that occurred 10 years ago...
I'm a pretty proactive dude, I'm enjoying telling people "I told you so" right now. I also like the old line "a fool and his money shall soon part" LOL :)

healtoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Back in April, it took me seriously well over 65 dealers all the way up the east coast to finally find three that were willing to do MSRP, or close to it. I gave a friend of mine the CW R I found at MSRP and he scooped it up that weekend. I wanted SGP or BB, so it was a little trickier. Ended up finding a dealer that was willing to do $2k over MSRP, but I countered at $1k over and we agreed. Right now is even worse with the market the way it is and the last R's arriving or already at dealers. I wish it was like Canada and it was illegal to sell over MSRP, but oh well... GL!

For example, the original MSRP of the 2018 R was only $35k, so it me it doesn't make sense to pay over for a used one. I would rather much pay a smidge more for current MSRP or close to it, to have a 3 year newer. It will help will value in the long run, and it has all the added upgrades and improvements too. But maybe that's just me.
Not sure where you see at or below msrp but here in Canada lots of abover msrp markups at the dealers.
Sponsored