The dealers are crazy

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I always feel bad looking at these threads the last few months and really hate to say it like this. You aren't getting a Type-R at sticker, period. What's at dealers are it for stock, they aren't being made anymore, the dealers know this and I can't blame em one bit. Supply and demand. You're paying msrp plus markup or you're not getting a new Type-R. It's that simple.

Used market, it doesn't matter the year, you're going to be paying msrp pricing for a 2021 plus some for an unmodified, low mileage and clean Type-R.

Accept these conditions, you'll be wheeling a Type-R. Don't accept them and you're not going to be wheeling a Type-R.

/thread
Exactly this -

This car isn't a camry or a CRV it's a limited edition performance car in a limited market, and they aren't making anymore. Rolling in with the 'I'm only paying MSRP here's my card' is going to get you laughed at because prices are up right now and everyone knows it (especially dealerships)

That being said, this car is EASILY worth 45k imo - it's that good of a car. So yes, it's MSRP is 39k, but it punches so far above it's weightclass I wouldn't feel 'taken' having to pay a few k over sticker to get one if it was a have to have car for me. That's what the realities are with this market - RIGHT NOW - and for at least the next year or so.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gabbman

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2017 Range Rover HSE
Country flag
Exactly this -

This car isn't a camry or a CRV it's a limited edition performance car in a limited market, and they aren't making anymore. Rolling in with the 'I'm only paying MSRP here's my card' is going to get you laughed at because prices are up right now and everyone knows it (especially dealerships)

That being said, this car is EASILY worth 45k imo - it's that good of a car. So yes, it's MSRP is 39k, but it punches so far above it's weightclass I wouldn't feel 'taken' having to pay a few k over sticker to get one if it was a have to have car for me. That's what the realities are with this market - RIGHT NOW - and for at least the next year or so.
I am clear on supply and demand. I will also agree its worth whatever the individual is willing to pay for it. I cant begrudge anyone thats willing to pay way above sticker if they value it. like other things people can decide for themselves how bad they want it. I will say I agree that the limited model with only 600 produced is a rare bird. although its considered limited the regular version there are lots available. and in my 2 day search I have found a couple of other colors for 1-2 k of msrp. so they are available.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am clear on supply and demand. I will also agree its worth whatever the individual is willing to pay for it. I cant begrudge anyone thats willing to pay way above sticker if they value it. like other things people can decide for themselves how bad they want it. I will say I agree that the limited model with only 600 produced is a rare bird. although its considered limited the regular version there are lots available. and in my 2 day search I have found a couple of other colors for 1-2 k of msrp. so they are available.
Sorry friend, and if you found them then act on it and buy that car - but you didn't find a couple in other colors for 1-2k off msrp - that part didn't happen.

The rest is reasonable - but coming from 20+ years of performance cars, this car, is special and worth a couple extra bucks to acquire if the market demands it - it's really a fantastic car.

Good luck with your search but if you found a couple with 1-2 under MSRP you'd be a fool not to purchase one.

OP
OP
Gabbman

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry friend, and if you found them then act on it and buy that car - but you didn't find a couple in other colors for 1-2k off msrp - that part didn't happen.

The rest is reasonable - but coming from 20+ years of performance cars, this car, is special and worth a couple extra bucks to acquire if the market demands it - it's really a fantastic car.

Good luck with your search but if you found a couple with 1-2 under MSRP you'd be a fool not to purchase one.
Fo

Your correct it was a mis type. I meant 1-2 k over msrp. And I won’t buy a color other than white.

bigbacon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Its not greed is just how thw market is right now.

You have to pay to play.

Would you sell item X at a higher cost knowning people want it and are will to pay that price or will you under sell item X because of morals orwhatever reason you can come up with?

No would pass up more money if the market demands it.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In addition to the unfortunately all too common markup on the CTR, every car is in short supply now. The car shortage has been the subject of a lot of press, and it has driven up the prices on everything from trucks to minivans as well as cool cars.
Yes, dealers around me are placing $1500 to $2000 mark-ups on Odysseys. Same for Siennas. $5000 markups on Kia Carnivals and Tellurides. And I'm in Ohio.... I can't imagine what prices are along the 2 coasts.

niknatar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 1999 Mazda Miata
Country flag
Exactly this -

Got to disagree on this. When I decided to upgrade to a '21 a few weeks ago, I found 2 different dealerships selling at MSRP on my first day of searching. When I bought my '19, I found one at MSRP within a week or so. You just have to be willing to call around and not get discouraged by most of them saying 'no'. Shipping is a lot cheaper than most of the markups being added on.

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Got to disagree on this. When I decided to upgrade to a '21 a few weeks ago, I found 2 different dealerships selling at MSRP on my first day of searching. When I bought my '19, I found one at MSRP within a week or so. You just have to be willing to call around. Shipping is a lot cheaper than most of the markups being added on.
Some dealerships won't sell to you if you're not in an adjoining state however, so there are limitations. I think some better deals can be found in the midwest but even those are not common. None of this makes sense at all considering I sold my 2019 Type R with 15k on it for 40k, which is over a 2021 sticker - so not sure where you guys find these MSRP dealerships lol but they aren't anywhere near Texas at least!

OP
OP
Gabbman

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree with you but it seems people are offended at the thought of someone wanting to pay the msrp price. If nobody pays the markups they will sell at msrp as opposed to never selling. But what do I know. The other poster doesn’t seem to realize one thing. If things were as he says I shouldn’t even be able to find one. But opinions are like bung holes everyone has one and most peoples stink.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree with you but it seems people are offended at the thought of someone wanting to pay the msrp price. If nobody pays the markups they will sell at msrp as opposed to never selling. But what do I know. The other poster doesn’t seem to realize one thing. If things were as he says I shouldn’t even be able to find one. But opinions are like bung holes everyone has one and most peoples stink.
Not offended at all man! I just think you have a lot of enthusiasts on here that watch Type R prices. When you have 2018 and 2019's being sold for 40k+ we're just trying to help when we say 'realistically your chances of finding MSRP are remote'. That's so you can get a Type R for a realistic price rather than missing out if you dig in about MSRP but have the liquidity to pay a bit more if this is 'the car of your dreams'. To some it is, so even in this market they will pay a bit more.

Is what it is and good luck with your decision :) It's a WONDERFUL car.

niknatar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, 1999 Mazda Miata
Country flag
Some dealerships won't sell to you if you're not in an adjoining state however, so there are limitations. I think some better deals can be found in the midwest but even those are not common. None of this makes sense at all considering I sold my 2019 Type R with 15k on it for 40k, which is over a 2021 sticker - so not sure where you guys find these MSRP dealerships lol but they aren't anywhere near Texas at least!
There's a lot of Honda dealerships across the country, so when you expand your search to be nationwide it becomes a lot easier. Even if only 1% of dealerships are selling at MSRP, you'll find one if you're willing to call a couple hundred of them.

I sold my CW '19 for $41k, and paid 3k to upgrade to a CBP '21. It wasn't the color I wanted though, so I called around, found a dealership selling a CW at MSRP, and am reselling the CBP for $43k, which covers the entire MSRP purchase + shipping.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Got to disagree on this. When I decided to upgrade to a '21 a few weeks ago, I found 2 different dealerships selling at MSRP on my first day of searching. When I bought my '19, I found one at MSRP within a week or so. You just have to be willing to call around and not get discouraged by most of them saying 'no'. Shipping is a lot cheaper than most of the markups being added on.
Few and far between. Dollars to donuts 99 in 100 Type Rs sold at 5k over msrp at least. Carvana has good condition used CTRs selling for 47 grand. Used.

Honda drastically underpriced the car. Golf R is like 44 grand and the CTR is a massively better car. The market defines what a car is worth, not msrp.

OP
OP
Gabbman

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not offended at all man! I just think you have a lot of enthusiasts on here that watch Type R prices. When you have 2018 and 2019's being sold for 40k+ we're just trying to help when we say 'realistically your chances of finding MSRP are remote'. That's so you can get a Type R for a realistic price rather than missing out if you dig in about MSRP but have the liquidity to pay a bit more if this is 'the car of your dreams'. To some it is, so even in this market they will pay a bit more.

Is what it is and good luck with your decision :) It's a WONDERFUL car.
Thanks for clearing it up. It makes sense. I even agree. Im my particular case I use a si as a daily driver. I saw a type r at the dealer and thought it was great looking. I can afford it so I said hey why not. Honestly , if I was going to track it or do anything other than use it as a daily runner I would probably value it more.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I had the same experience. It took calling alot of places but ended up finding a bunch in my state for MSRP back when I was shopping. Don't know if it's still as easy.

I got mine for sticker and didn't feel I got a particularly good deal.....only fair. Considering some got theirs for like invoice, don't let the current car market skew your perception on markup. This frenzy is all temporary. There was a time when a few popped up on the used market for like $30K with low miles.

With that said, being honest, there's nothing under like $80K that I would consider over this right now. That's a higher end used sports car too. Literally nothing new even close to the Rs price competes for me.

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
Not offended at all. In fact, I would be one of the first to congratulate you for scoring one at or under sticker right now. It’s a near impossible task and many other players will cough up that extra scratch to buy one willingly. Stock is shrinking and people will pay the markups.

I got lucky, first week of covid, dealer 10 min from me had a 2019 leftover and I got it for 36 out the door. It is a much different market now. Best of luck.
Sponsored