SOLVED - Helped Need - 2018 Civic SI Sedan Will Not Start After Battery Replacement

clumsywob

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WOP Civic Sedan SI
Country flag
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan - US Model
~43000 miles
Warranty expired in March

Back story: 2 weeks ago, battery died to the point where I couldn't even unlock my car via the physical key, key fob or the button on the door handle. I called Progressive Roadside Assistance (Warranty expired in March) and they sent someone out to who use some inflatable tool and a rod to unlock my car and they then used a battery booster to give my car a jump and all was well.

Fast forward to today, my car sat for 3 days while I was out of town. Got back today and same thing happened. Another call placed with Progressive Roadside Assistance, another inflatable tool and rod to get my car unlocked and a jump and I was back in business. So I decided to go grab a battery from Napa since it's down the road from me, installed the battery and now my car won't start at all. When pressing the Push to start button to start the car, the dashboard displays every warning possible and I can hear a click when the car tries to crank. All of the interior lights work, the door locks work, the headlights work, etc.. The Radio does NOT power on. I even put the factory battery back in and the results are the same. I did try to pump the brake based one a thread I read here but that did not work.

I'm at a complete loss here. I basically have a paperweight in my drive way right now. Does anyone have any ideas on what the heck is going on here and how I can fix it? My next step is to have it towed to Honda tomorrow but I wanted to at least see if anyone else has any thoughts as to what is happening. I've had 6 Hondas over the years and this has completely soured my taste for Honda. I understand that if the battery is dead, the key fob won't work. But even the physical key? That's insanity.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help that may be provided.

Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Voltage reading with not load could be false.
Read voltage with lights ON. Battery must read over 12 volts.

Look you may have a short circuit in wire.
You may also have a wiring issue by a rodent ? See often on the forum.
Did you look under you hood ?
Did you do any mod on your car ? New sound sytem, any wiring mod

OP
OP

clumsywob

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WOP Civic Sedan SI
Country flag
@calonzo My headunit won't power on at all so none of the buttons work on it, unfortunately.

@latole I just went back out and put the car into accessory mode and turned on my headlights. The voltage is 12.15 with everything on.

I feel like the car is in some kind of anti theft mode. In the span of 10 minutes, I got my car jumped, went to Napa, turned of my car, bought a new battery, turned on my car, went home and installed the new battery. After installing the new battery, it no longer cranks. I've tried putting the original battery back in but same thing happens. I don't think it's rodents, at least I hadn't seen any. No mods on the car..

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Is the symptom now different than originally the car wouldn't start?

I think if is some anti-theft device, too. Try asking the dealer before having it towed.

OP
OP

clumsywob

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WOP Civic Sedan SI
Country flag
So I *may* have found the issue. It looks like this fuse is blown:
Honda Civic 10th gen SOLVED - Helped Need - 2018 Civic SI Sedan Will Not Start After Battery Replacement 1626966232555

Any idea where I can find this?

OP
OP

clumsywob

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WOP Civic Sedan SI
Country flag
Fuse compartment under the hood. The fuse blown is the 125A fuse which is the battery. If i can find this part, I think that *may* get me back up and running

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If a 125 amp fuse was blow, you will not be able to start you car, never.
But with battery booster you do !

It look like threre is a bad electrical contact somewhere.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Fuse compartment under the hood. The fuse blown is the 125A fuse which is the battery. If i can find this part, I think that *may* get me back up and running
I couldn't find the 125A battery fuse block at any online store. You will have to get it from the dealer.

I had the same issue trying to get the AC relay from any place other than the dealer.

OP
OP

clumsywob

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WOP Civic Sedan SI
Country flag
So, to follow up on this, I'm back up and running. As it turns out, that 125A fuse was the culprit. Coggin Honda, one of the local Honda dealerships happened to have the part in stock. For anyone that needs it, the part number is: 38321-TBA-A01. I paid $17.90 after tax. Another dealership would have had to order it and they charged $24 bucks. Looks like you can also get it online from a few places for around $13 bucks.

Thanks for the assist everyone!!

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So, to follow up on this, I'm back up and running. As it turns out, that 125A fuse was the culprit. Coggin Honda, one of the local Honda dealerships happened to have the part in stock. For anyone that needs it, the part number is: 38321-TBA-A01. I paid $17.90 after tax. Another dealership would have had to order it and they charged $24 bucks. Looks like you can also get it online from a few places for around $13 bucks.

Thanks for the assist everyone!!
Glad you figured it out.

I find it odd that the battery fuse blew, yet most electronics had power.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How can you explain you can start your car with battery booster if fuse was blow ?
It is no sense !

You mays have another issue, the one on this post
Sponsored