K20C1 Camshaft Testing - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I digitized my thoughts and design. I'll have to do some calculations but this should be able to be used with many different pumps. It's really just adjusting the pulse delay and width to accommodate for different fuel pump(s). That and tightly closing the loop.
hpfp_driver.png

A fairly simple design of instrumentation amplifier(s), microcontroller and FET(s) but it still kind of sucks to have to tap into all these things; it would be easier in the ECU.
I started the schematic capture but nothing worth showing yet. I want to do some failure analysis as well.
Consequently, I was planning on getting an XDI pump anyway but I was holding out because of whispers.
We can see with the scope how the pwm looks like with Oem hpfp , then compare with a “tuned” xdi, and then see what modifications on the pulse does needs . The idea is drive the xdi with the oem hpfp configuration , and the “ box “ will do mostly work , probably it’s going to need some tweaking on the software. But again I need to see both pwm signals and compare

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We can see with the scope how the pwm looks like with Oem hpfp , then compare with a “tuned” xdi, and then see what modifications on the pulse does needs . The idea is drive the xdi with the oem hpfp configuration , and the “ box “ will do mostly work , probably it’s going to need some tweaking on the software. But again I need to see both pwm signals and compare
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I have 16 channel oscilloscope, which should be able to capture those both well. Time to order the XDI pump.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Sir, that is too kind.

Perhaps, it will serve as an incentive...

Things like this:
maybe it was taken out of context, it does work and works better if the fuel demand is high. Just coming from a motec where the actual never really ventures from the target (im talking 50 psi or so) But, electronics engineering is beyond my scope of knowledge, if you can configure something to control it better, by all means!

These two cars are the same but one with motec and one with hondata.. both xdi and both 22/23 psi gasoline.

Honda Civic 10th gen K20C1 Camshaft Testing	 - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine xdi.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen K20C1 Camshaft Testing	 - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine motec.JPG

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
maybe it was taken out of context, it does work and works better if the fuel demand is high. Just coming from a motec where the actual never really ventures from the target (im talking 50 psi or so) But, electronics engineering is beyond my scope of knowledge, if you can configure something to control it better, by all means!

These two cars are the same but one with motec and one with hondata.. both xdi and both 22/23 psi gasoline.

xdi.JPG

motec.JPG
That looks like it’s searching for a misfire, lol. For most of us, that’s where we’ll be 95% of the time.
I’m not surprised the issues are at mid or light load as that requires more precision and care than WOT.
Thanks for the helpful info.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That looks like it’s searching for a misfire, lol. For most of us, that’s where we’ll be 95% of the time.
I’m not surprised the issues are at mid or light load as that requires more precision and care than WOT.
Thanks for the helpful info.
From my experience in tuning 20+ of these pumps so far, it is mostly at WOT. There appears to be a band of fuel demand where the issue occurs. If you’ve got a big turbo or a high content of ethanol the issue is much less pronounced.

Jpierro79

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 type R 2015 c300
Country flag
Update 7.11.21

3. The fuel pump control on the stock ECU needs work. Sorry...it does.
This true unfortunately. I have had to alter pump values to try and remedy this but it will create a lower limit running stock injectors. Even my upgraded ones could easily eclipse 530whp on e50 but literally limited by pump control.

Upgrading the fuel line size helps. Still doesn’t fix the control. I’ve emailed and been ignored. Kind of wish they’d just open those tables to adjustment to fix the control myself. This, lack of injector slope, and true VE really hold back the type r true potential.

AR-Delta

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
So does hondata control their fuel system better than an XDI pump? If there are issues at all at WOT, I think some would rather spend more on the kit than go with the XDI until Hondata can control it better…

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This true unfortunately. I have had to alter pump values to try and remedy this but it will create a lower limit running stock injectors. Even my upgraded ones could easily eclipse 530whp on e50 but literally limited by pump control.

Upgrading the fuel line size helps. Still doesn’t fix the control. I’ve emailed and been ignored. Kind of wish they’d just open those tables to adjustment to fix the control myself. This, lack of injector slope, and true VE really hold back the type r true potential.
I've decided I'm going to dig through the maps. If I find the ones that let you edit these fuel characteristics, I will post the addresses and their definitions.

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I probably shouldn't have talked openly about those program frustrations in here....maybe another thread should be dedicated to pump control so we can keep this going with camshaft updates. I just feel if people are spending their hard earned money and there are hurdles and challenges they will run into...it needs to be known.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I probably shouldn't have talked openly about those program frustrations in here....maybe another thread should be dedicated to pump control so we can keep this going with camshaft updates. I just feel if people are spending their hard earned money and there are hurdles and challenges they will run into...it needs to be known.
When are going to be ready for production? Or available?

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
When are going to be ready for production? Or available?
TR3 cams are shipping now....sold out in first week. I'll have 10 sets that are not spoken for available from next batch in 2 weeks.

TR2 cams are in production....months out. As with everything....We are trying to get production numbers up to get the prices down and its hard to produce volume right now in the current market. Crazy busy.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
TR3 cams are shipping now....sold out in first week. I'll have 10 sets that are not spoken for available from next batch in 2 weeks.

TR2 cams are in production....months out. As with everything....We are trying to get production numbers up to get the prices down and its hard to produce volume right now in the current market. Crazy busy.
Ok I’m going to read more and se which one are more like “ bolt on “ and doesn’t require too many modifications, just drop in the cams and tune in a stock head
Sponsored