Gavin_Danitz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I recently got my si tuned by Derek and I brought up the topic of building my engine in the future. He told me that after a certain point “these are the biggest waste of money” and actually recommend a k20c swap instead. I wanted to hear what everyone else’s opinion is on a swap vs building the L15 platform. I hear the swap is pretty straight forward, mostly engine mounts and some wiring. Does anyone know specifically how much work is involved in the swap?
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
@AAperformancebuilds on instagram. It's not that straightforward, there are other considerations like custom axles. That's the most expensive part.

OP
OP
Gavin_Danitz

Gavin_Danitz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
@AAperformance on instagram. It's not that straightforward, there are other considerations like custom axles. That's the most expensive part.
Axles were one of the big questions I had. I’ll look into it. Thank you

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Axles were one of the big questions I had. I’ll look into it. Thank you
Np. He was the first (only?) guy to get it working on a stock ECU. Definitely would be my first point of contact. My personal feeling would be swap the K20 if you can, over building the L15.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve talked to the guy who did it and axles are the most expensive. Then you need to run a civic turbo kit to use the civic ac. If you run an accord or type r turbo, you’ll have to run accord ac compressor and you run into issues with the radiator and intercooler. He was able to use PRL’s 2860r turbo kit for an si on the k20. Also locked vtec since they do have it on the exhaust cam. He said it’s not crazy so you can either lock it or leave it and it won’t really make much of a difference.

OP
OP
Gavin_Danitz

Gavin_Danitz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Np. He was the first (only?) guy to get it working on a stock ECU. Definitely would be my first point of contact. My personal feeling would be swap the K20 if you can, over building the L15.
I have a shop available and I’m willing to put in the labor
I’ve talked to the guy who did it and axles are the most expensive. Then you need to run a civic turbo kit to use the civic ac. If you run an accord or type r turbo, you’ll have to run accord ac compressor and you run into issues with the radiator and intercooler. He was able to use PRL’s 2860r turbo kit for an si on the k20. Also locked vtec since they do have it on the exhaust cam. He said it’s not crazy so you can either lock it or leave it and it won’t really make much of a difference.
interesting to hear. Do you know why he uses a k20c4 over the c1? I’m guessing it’s because it’s a cheaper engine or there’s some reason it’s more compatible

OP
OP
Gavin_Danitz

Gavin_Danitz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Anyone know about motor mounts, exhaust, or fueling?

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the sound of this, but money. Would a type R mount work since it's technically the same block(right?) as the k20c1? Knowing Honda, the L15 and c4/c1 could probably all be swapped in and out of their vehicles with the right parts, as it would save on development costs, but I don't know that for a fact.

Maybe he likes the k20c4 since it's probably cheaper coming from your family sedan vs a Track-street car like the c1?

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a shop available and I’m willing to put in the labor

interesting to hear. Do you know why he uses a k20c4 over the c1? I’m guessing it’s because it’s a cheaper engine or there’s some reason it’s more compatible
To my knowledge the type r uses a completely different computer. The si one will not work and neither would an accord one with a c1. He’s using the si mounts, wiring and computer. I think he did a custom dp maybe, I can’t remember. Eman is going to be doing a built c1 in his si but his is on motec. Im also assuming the c4 is just more budget friendly and you can mix match parts from the si to make it work.

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know there’s a thread on here by Aaperformance (I think) that somewhat explains what u need I don’t think they go into mounts but forsure they slapped on a 2860 and were able to run it with the si ecu. Dash was lighting up like a christmas tree but it ran. So I’m assuming since you can put the 2860 you can also use the 2867 correct?

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know there’s a thread on here by Aaperformance (I think) that somewhat explains what u need I don’t think they go into mounts but forsure they slapped on a 2860 and were able to run it with the si ecu. Dash was lighting up like a christmas tree but it ran. So I’m assuming since you can put the 2860 you can also use the 2867 correct?
He was able to use the mounts and wiring and computer. Im gonna assume that yes you can run a 67 on there since it’s pretty much the same design but slightly larger. That’s the one thing I have a pet peeve about, warning lights. I’m sure someone will figure out that part. Probably eman if anyone.

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He was able to use the mounts and wiring and computer. Im gonna assume that yes you can run a 67 on there since it’s pretty much the same design but slightly larger. That’s the one thing I have a pet peeve about, warning lights. I’m sure someone will figure out that part. Probably eman if anyone.
Cluster delete

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
For anyone considering a swap, your best bet is really going to be getting Motec first. A lot of the challenges with a K20C1/C4 will stem from trying to adapt it using the ECU in the car. You will also hit a wall with a stock ECU which will be the fuel system. That wall won't be that much further than a built motor big turbo L15.

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For anyone considering a swap, your best bet is really going to be getting Motec first. A lot of the challenges with a K20C1/C4 will stem from trying to adapt it using the ECU in the car. You will also hit a wall with a stock ECU which will be the fuel system. That wall won't be that much further than a built motor big turbo L15.
Interesting ?? now I feel like the real question is; Is it worth going through all that trouble and having to buy motec for a k20 swap? A build si motor will run you around 6k. K20 swap I read it runs you around 7k but if you wanna get past fuel cut you need motec which will be another organ you have to sell to afford it ?
Sponsored