16 Civic AC Not Working

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
A little off subject.
Can you cause harm to the AC system if you turn the car off and then immediately turn it back on if the AC is running? Thanks Paul
I'm not sure, probably isn't great if you are doing it over and over. Having to do it every so often shouldn't bother it much.
Sponsored

itbedave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, mine got to the point last week on a hot, sunny day and it was definitely colder on the passenger side than the drivers side and wasn't cooling down the car very much while driving. I was able to find a can of R1234yf at Advance Auto locally for $45 and had a coupon code and a $5 off club members coupon that brought it down to $30 ordering online for pickup. I ordered the hose from Amazon and refilled it on Sunday.

DON'T FORGET: These cans are LEFT-HAND THREADED! I nearly did myself but remembered after trying once to attach the hose before destroying the threads!

Upon attaching the hose to my low side port (with the engine running) it showed low pressure on the gauge. My compressor wasn't even kicking on at this point but I knew it was not completely empty. Almost as soon as I opened the tap on the can, pressure went up and the compressor kicked on. I probably only put half a can in until the pressure was at an acceptable range. Checked the car and it was nice and chilly from both sides, just like it use to be.

Although I had previously said I would consider evacuating my system and using R134A before paying to get it replaced out of my pocket because hatches aren't covered under the TSB... YET... Now that I have at least a temporary stop gap, I'll be contacting Honda to "encourage" them to also cover the hatches, as well as doing more research as to why they aren't in the first place, and possibly joining the class action suit if necessary.

But for about $50 total after discounts, I'm content with it working right now and hopefully through the summer at the very least while I work on a more permanent solution.

engineering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey Guys,
Got some semi-good news for you. After Honda extended the warranty on the Condensers to 10 years and unlimited mileage, I ended up calling two dealerships here in Canada, I asked if the Condenser they're replacing the defective one with is a modified part to correct the defect. Both dealerships told me it was a modified part with a new part number, the original part number ended with A01, the new part number they gave me ends with A02, I have a 2018 Civic Touring, so the full part number is 80100-TBC-A02. Glad that they FINALLY updated the part. I wanted to call two dealerships to make sure they weren't bullshitting me, both ended up giving me the same part number for the new Condenser which was a relief.

itbedave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Guys,
Got some semi-good news for you. After Honda extended the warranty on the Condensers to 10 years and unlimited mileage, I ended up calling two dealerships here in Canada, I asked if the Condenser they're replacing the defective one with is a modified part to correct the defect. Both dealerships told me it was a modified part with a new part number, the original part number ended with A01, the new part number they gave me ends with A02, I have a 2018 Civic Touring, so the full part number is 80100-TBC-A02. Glad that they FINALLY updated the part. I wanted to call two dealerships to make sure they weren't bullshitting me, both ended up giving me the same part number for the new Condenser which was a relief.
I haven't looked myself, but does anyone know where the condenser is in the engine bay and if the part number happens to be visible? I would like to check on my hatch, even though they say it's not the same part.

rcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex
Country flag
Update from my previous post on this thread... My condenser was replaced at no cost to me under the extended warranty for the condenser issue. The dealership I took it to initially quoted me $350 for the diagnosis, but the guy at the service reception was optimistic I would be covered.

Civic.Si.1984

First Name
Silas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Same issue - I have a 2016 Civic with 59,000 miles. Noticed at the end of last summer that the A/C was alternating between warm and cold air, but summer was over so didn't think much about it. Fast forward to this past week, 90 degree weather and nothing but hot air, though it will still get cold in the mornings and evenings or it is stays below 80ish degrees. I took it in to the the local Honda dealer on June 4th and was told it needed a new compressor, clutch, recharge, and a couple other things to do with the A/C. I purchased the car used in 2019 and looking back at the records Honda has on file it was taken into Honda in 2018 due to blowing hot air, but there is not record on what was done. So, dealership quotes me $1800.00. They told me it was the design and that I am basically SOL and did not really have an answer on what caused it to go bad (other than design). I have contacted Honda and waiting for a reply. Wish me luck. -SC
**UPDATE** Well, they pretty much told me I was SOL. I sent a reply email pleading my case...basically all I can do. I did see where a law firm filed a lawsuit at the end of may about the compressors and A/C parts in general. I contacted them and told them everything that is happening and just waiting to hear back. I'll have to pay the $1,800.00 but I'll complain to anyone who will listen..lol.

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda RF 2021 Toyota Supra GR 3.0
Country flag
**UPDATE** Well, they pretty much told me I was SOL. I sent a reply email pleading my case...basically all I can do. I did see where a law firm filed a lawsuit at the end of may about the compressors and A/C parts in general. I contacted them and told them everything that is happening and just waiting to hear back. I'll have to pay the $1,800.00 but I'll complain to anyone who will listen..lol.
Didn't Honda extend the AC warranty to 10 years?

diablo2424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I'm going to try refilling mine before paying anyone $800 to "replace a leaking high pressure hose" as the one dealership I bought it to, told me was the issue. I have a feeling the issue is the condenser though, not a random hose. Hopefully refilling it will help, or at least get me by for a little while as it's getting pretty hot down here in NC, and it's been raining a lot so we need the moisture removal for the windshield

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took my 17 civic Si in yesterday to the dealer I bought it from for the AC as it’s been blowing hot air for about 2 years. I dropped it off at 3:50pm yesterday and got a call today around 11:30am saying the condenser was replaced under the warranty and that it’s ready for pickup! Didn’t have to pay a single dime as my car has 62,754 miles. Here’s also the parts number for what they replaced.

Honda Civic 10th gen 16 Civic AC Not Working 0E539932-4810-4BB8-BA9C-1FE4C94482F5

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I took my 17 civic Si in yesterday to the dealer I bought it from for the AC as it’s been blowing hot air for about 2 years. I dropped it off at 3:50pm yesterday and got a call today around 11:30am saying the condenser was replaced under the warranty and that it’s ready for pickup! Didn’t have to pay a single dime as my car has 62,754 miles. Here’s also the parts number for what they replaced.

0E539932-4810-4BB8-BA9C-1FE4C94482F5.jpeg
Its such a quick repair and they get paid full warranty work price so they really have no reason to lie about whats broke. It was 18 hrs from when they said it was the condenser and when I got the car back for me

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Couple Energy Green
Country flag
Hey guys, please give me your opinion: I have a 2018 Civic Si Coupe in Energy Pearl Green. I had the condenser replaced under warranty about a week ago and my AC is working great again.

Here is the thing, I paid my car off in October 2019 and the only issues I have had is outgoing calls are hard to hear through bluetooth and I had to complete remove the metal shield under the engine bay. (One of the screws rusted and I had to remove the plastic front part as well.) Now, I have winter rims and tires for this car, have 50000 total miles on the car and am going to need to replace my regular tires at least by October of this year.

What do you think, keep the car or consider getting something else, since they are giving a lot more for this model than the industry normally would? To be honest, I would probably just go with a Corolla but what do you guys think? (Used corolla, by the way.)

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys, please give me your opinion: I have a 2018 Civic Si Coupe in Energy Pearl Green. I had the condenser replaced under warranty about a week ago and my AC is working great again.

Here is the thing, I paid my car off in October 2019 and the only issues I have had is outgoing calls are hard to hear through bluetooth and I had to complete remove the metal shield under the engine bay. (One of the screws rusted and I had to remove the plastic front part as well.) Now, I have winter rims and tires for this car, have 50000 total miles on the car and am going to need to replace my regular tires at least by October of this year.

What do you think, keep the car or consider getting something else, since they are giving a lot more for this model than the industry normally would? To be honest, I would probably just go with a Corolla but what do you guys think? (Used corolla, by the way.)
this is like the housing market, sure its a sellers market, but in most cases the minute you sell you become a buyer and its definitely not a buyers market in the used car world. So you have a few options to weigh. One would be, buy new. There are still deals to be had on new inventory. 2 would be to lease for a year or 2, let the market correct and not take depreciation on a new purchase. 3 would be just keep the car, do the maintenance, buy a new underbody shield, keep your money in the bank and call it day.

Friendofsonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Welp, my 2016 Civic is blowing hot air driver side/coolish air on the passenger side. I've had suspicions since the start of warmer weather the AC may not have been blowing as cold as it possibly can be. I hope I didn't cause damage to my compressor.
Dealership is supposed to look at it on Monday. Hope it's only the condenser and that they don't claim road/rock damage on it.

engineering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I haven't looked myself, but does anyone know where the condenser is in the engine bay and if the part number happens to be visible? I would like to check on my hatch, even though they say it's not the same part.
The condenser is located right in front of the grill, if you pop off the top assembly, the plastic mounts holding the top assembly should be wedged off with a screw driver. On the right side should be the label with the part number and supplier. On my 2018 Civic Touring it appears that the part is supplied from KEIHIN.

Honda Civic 10th gen 16 Civic AC Not Working DEBF1-C5-C-1530-47-EB-8069-C82-A7459-B1-F6
Sponsored